Porter

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agree (very partly) with Mr de. Party.

Don't think he's good enough long term (although, I'm more than happy to be persuaded otherwise in future games), but he put in a big shift last night and deserved his goal.

One thing I like about him is that he turns his man very easily. How their lump of a defender didn't get booked last night when he blocked him off I'll never know.

How their lump of a defender didn't get booked last night when he blocked him off I'll never know.

Agreed. Roberts body checked him at least twice last night to prevent Porter getting past him. Should have seen yellow for at least one of them. Exactly the sort of cynical foul that cautions are supposed to be for (Lowton e.g.) not just a mis timed tackle that looks far worse than it is.

yep well done chris i have been in the slagging brigade for the last few weeks, but i thought you did well last night not only the goal but you kept giving 100% after realising you still had a job to do chasing the ball down.

Playing with Porter up front is very different to playing with Cresswell or Evans.

Porter is a typical "target man": when the ball is played up to him he's fairly static but he tends to win the first ball. This means that the defence and midfield should be aiming the ball within a couple of feet of him and then looking for the lay-offs and flick-ons.

Cresswell likes to run across the defender looking for a header on, or for a quick lay-off. This means that the ball needs to be aimed 5-10 yards from where he is when it's played. Cresswell's first touch is also slightly better than Porters, meaning he holds the ball up more effectively.

Evans liked the ball into the channels, allowing him to turn the defenders. At this level, most defenders are very one-footed and United had done their homework so knew which side to target.

Given that we played with Cresswell and Evans pretty much consistently from October to April, it's not surprising that it's taken the players a couple of games to adjust to a different striker's strengths.

yep well done chris i have been in the slagging brigade for the last few weeks, but i thought you did well last night not only the goal but you kept giving 100% after realising you still had a job to do chasing the ball down.

I confess that I was a doubter, and last night's first half did not do much to change that - he seemed a lot more positive in running the channels in the second half, and took his goal well. We have to remember that there was only one team actually trying to win the game in 90 minutes last night, and the Stevenage manager gave himself away a bit when interviewed later on Sky when he said he was disappointed not to take the game to extra time and penalties.

I don't think the final will be of the same ilk, because United will enjoy the space on the pitch, and both MK Dons and Huddersfield are better going forward than defending all day - it's made for MacDonald and Quinn in my view.

Two other things about last night whilst I'm here - the first being the idiots who decided to goad the away fans at the end, they want a bloody good hiding, but hats off to the fans all over the ground who gave Stevenage a standing ovation as they made their way to the tunnel. I thought that sportsmanship of that kind was dying a death, and it was a moment to savour.

After last night I take back 26% of everything Ive said about him this season.

hats off to the fans all over the ground who gave Stevenage a standing ovation as they made their way to the tunnel. I thought that sportsmanship of that kind was dying a death, and it was a moment to savour.

It's more impressive when it's done in defeat. :)

No place for sentiment from me. Thought he was average at best, the ball didn't stick into his feet. Worked hard, but didn't really do a job of linking up play/ holding the ball for the midfield.

That said, he scored the vital goal.

Would I start him at Wembley if Cresswell is breathing, not a chance.

No place for sentiment from me. Thought he was average at best, the ball didn't stick into his feet. Worked hard, but didn't really do a job of linking up play/ holding the ball for the midfield.

I actually disagree. I thought he held it up well last night for the most part.

Especially when it came to him at chest level.

>We were all saying Ched wasnt good enough last year
not all of us mate..some of us have issues with other so called players.
problem with mr porter is that he is a superb header of the ball for knockdowns and whatever.. but we have noone to pick up the second ball.. we don't play like that and it is a big ask for us to develop a completely different style in two weeks to take advantage of it.. if Dane Whitehouse had been playing last night he'd have scored five

>it's made for MacDonald and Quinn in my view.
shame we'll end up with monty then.

i concur with this. i was delighted for him that he got the goal and he did work hard, but he's not good enough to play for us i dont think, which has been reflected in his starts this yr and will be reflected next yr, particularly if we go up. not that i dont like the guy tho, not his fault he gets picked is it.

Back
Top Bottom