Pommpey.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Well we are banking on Moore not getting injured. A Simon Moore who is not in the best of form at the moment either.

I am sick of selling our young players, simple as that really. Annoyed that we allowed the Ramsdale contract situation to get to that point coupled with the fact it was only a month or so ago he was being talked up as our number 2 keeper. He actually did alright against Bolton as well

As usual we rarely cover ourselves in key positions and I would say decent keeper cover is vital.

Bolton fans are not happy with the price they got for Clough but their club us up shit creek without a paddle unlike us.

You would keep all young players? Ironside, De Juve, McFadzean, Chappell, Whitehouse, Kennedy on one leg, Long? We would have hundreds of poor players who were once poor young players!

We've recruited really well and let one reserve go. Tufty [not McCabe] says the offer was in excess of our own valuation. I'm perfectly happy with an excellent Transfer Window. We have emerged the stronger for it.

You would keep all young players? Ironside, De Juve, McFadzean, Chappell, Whitehouse, Kennedy on one leg, Long? We would have hundreds of poor players who were once poor young players!

We've recruited really well and let one reserve go. Tufty [not McCabe] says the offer was in excess of our own valuation. I'm perfectly happy with an excellent Transfer Window. We have emerged the stronger for it.

Not all our young players obviously but lets face it where were told that we no longer have to offload them.

Like I have said elsewhere it depends if you believe what the club has been telling us over the last few seasons since the prince came on board.

It goes beyond the Ramsdale transfer really and it irks me that at times we are still being fed bullshit from the club.

Anyway fingers crossed Moore regains his form and doesn't get injured.

Not all our young players obviously but lets face it where were told that we no longer have to offload them.

Like I have said elsewhere it depends if you believe what the club has been telling us over the last few seasons since the prince came on board.

It goes beyond the Ramsdale transfer really and it irks me that at times we are still being fed bullshit from the club.

Anyway fingers crossed Moore regains his form and doesn't get injured.

But this window we've been fed pretty good and quite expensive footballers by the club and let one reserve go.

I do a decent Clapton, although only Clapton does a perfect Clapton. I do a better Glimour. And the cash is just fine. How's the boat building going? Why aren't you in Barrow-in-Furness? Delegation?

You have no idea, do you? Not just 'any idea'. Just 'none'.

Of course, an 'ex-pro' like you with all that wisdom, money to burn on your semi-pro wages and now car selling. And you have the neck to come on here pissed-up trying to troll. Bless your little socks.

And I bet your 'Gilmour' is more like Millmoor, i.e. Toytown.

pommpey

But this window we've been fed pretty good and quite expensive footballers by the club and let one reserve go.

Depends what you class as expensive.

Anyway like I say lets hope Moore doesn't get injured.

still worth pointing out george long has had more clean sheets than any united keeper of the last 5 years

and theres a better defence in front of him now
when it works

Depends what you class as expensive.

Anyway like I say lets hope Moore doesn't get injured.

No, Bladesman. Just 'believe' they were expensive. People on here fapping furiously over players they have had to Wikipedia and YT to get some kind of idea about who they are.

Nice to know we managed to keep hold of the rump of the outfield. I trust Long about as much as I do McCabe in goal.

pommpey

There is a certain inevitability of not keeping Ramsdale.

If he was number one I could understand.

For the lad, he remains reserve team goalie, moves to a nice part of the country and probably quadruples his wages. Not sure how Wilder was supposed to retain him.

Apparently his deal was up in the summer so our negotiating power would be weaker.

It's all about Carpe Diem. Seizing the moment now. We need to go up. We have added a seven figure sum to the coffers, brought in seven potential first teamers and importantly got Chapman back who will be an asset in February.

Meanwhile, this window, Bolton lost their two best attacking players and replaced with a journeyman forward who has done little the past 3 years and a young winger nobody has heard of who cannot get in a squad who hadn't won in about 8.

In the real world and supporting United at this level, this has been a good Window.

Plus we also kept the Desso!

I'd sooner watch the England football team than listen to Clapton. Mark Knopfler, George Benson and Jose Feliciano for me.

Jeez, Pincy, I'd sooner watch the England LADIES football team than listen to George Benson!;)

still worth pointing out george long has had more clean sheets than any united keeper of the last 5 years

and theres a better defence in front of him now

Amazing stat that. I haven't checked it but no reason to doubt it, as I suppose we are only comparing him to Howard and Simonsen (Moore hasn't been here long enough yet).

Long made some howlers and got pilliored for it. Simonsen made continual howlers and never once came for a cross, but we just accepted he was shit, we were shit, and that was the best we could do.

Long is young enough to learn and iron out errors in his game. If he comes back (and doesn't get ironically cheered from minute one), he should be all the stronger for it.

The constant sniping on here gets on my tits. He may not be the best goalie we have ever had, but is far from the worst. It would be great to think he would get a genuine 'second chance' if Moore were injured, but I fear too many have already made up their minds.

CW chose to let Ramsdale go so must believe Long is worth keeping. Do we trust Wilder or not, it's a simple question?

No, Bladesman. Just 'believe' they were expensive. People on here fapping furiously over players they have had to Wikipedia and YT to get some kind of idea about who they are.

Nice to know we managed to keep hold of the rump of the outfield. I trust Long about as much as I do McCabe in goal.

pommpey
Most people believe what's in the accounts (god forbid) - and that's that the players are far more expensive than we can afford, and hence we need injections someone else's cash to make up the difference.

Until there's some evidence of fraud, it's all that we need to know.

UTB

Most people believe what's in the accounts (god forbid) - and that's that the players are far more expensive than we can afford, and hence we need injections someone else's cash to make up the difference.

Until there's some evidence of fraud, it's all that we need to know.

UTB

Who is suggesting fraud? Not me. Not anyone. Unless you have not been paying attention (now there's a shock) my suggestion is of incompetence and waste, mainly in the retention and recruitment of managerial and playing staff, because that is the measurable we fans judge the club and it's trustees by.

The evidence for that is the stuff of legend.

pommpey

cw has turned round Scougal and Coutts
Id expect him to iron out Longs flaws over time

Disagree. Long has ABSOLUTELY NO presence and authority. You can't "iron out" those fundamental shortcomings. You can work on catching,kicking and positional sense,but you can't teach someone to be an alpha male if they don't have it inherently.

Disagree. Long has ABSOLUTELY NO presence and authority. You can't "iron out" those fundamental shortcomings. You can work on catching,kicking and positional sense,but you can't teach someone to be an alpha male if they don't have it inherently.

This for me I'm afraid, speaking as an ex keeper myself. The things you mention Sean, are as much instinct as anything else. Even the great keepers have a little kink in at least one of those aspects. Unfortunately for George (and it gives me no pleasure saying this) he has more than kinks, and they'll never be trained out.

Who is suggesting fraud? Not me. Not anyone. Unless you have not been paying attention (now there's a shock) my suggestion is of incompetence and waste, mainly in the retention and recruitment of managerial and playing staff, because that is the measurable we fans judge the club and it's trustees by.

The evidence for that is the stuff of legend.

pommpey
You don't just suggest incompetence.

You continually question the accounts and snigger at those who reference them. As an example, I'll refer you to your attempt to recalculate the gate receipts, already covered in the accounts.

I won't go over your numbers again, for fear of splitting my sides.

"us fans"....snigger.

This for me I'm afraid, speaking as an ex keeper myself. The things you mention Sean, are as much instinct as anything else. Even the great keepers have a little kink in at least one of those aspects. Unfortunately for George (and it gives me no pleasure saying this) he has more than kinks, and they'll never be trained out.

Funny that. I'd have thought it easier for a person to develop their character as they grow older than it is to learn professional standard football skills.

Funny that. I'd have thought it easier for a person to develop their character as they grow older than it is to learn professional standard football skills.

You might well be right John. Just from my own experience, I trained and played a lot yet there were areas of my game that never really seemed to get any better. For me it was probably kicking and crosses.

As for developing character, if anything mine has regressed ;)

Ah. So we give Long a 20 year contract and hope by around the 40 mark he's learnt how to command his area,bollock his defenders and smash big centre forwards who challenge him for high balls.
Why isn't this amazing idea standard practice?

Ah. So we give Long a 20 year contract and hope by around the 40 mark he's learnt how to command his area,bollock his defenders and smash big centre forwards who challenge him for high balls.
Why isn't this amazing idea standard practice?

Thanks for making that bizarre extrapolation.

disagree completely hes 23 , a baby in goalkeeping terms
hes unfairly pilloried by people with no clue on how to do the job
he suffered under adkins behind a very badly set up defence
If CW reckons hes a substantial number
it pisses on your moaning

disagree completely hes 23 , a baby in goalkeeping terms
hes unfairly pilloried by people with no clue on how to do the job
he suffered under adkins behind a very badly set up defence
If CW reckons hes a substantial number
it pisses on your moaning

Wow. Sorry for having an opinion. Where in my post am I "moaning"?
So he's done 6 seasons and he's still poor in a good number of areas a keeper can't be. Not every player makes it and just because he wears your clubs shirt don't let objective judgement be clouded by rose coloured Bladey glasses. I think Long is poor and will settle in Lg 2 or below. Sorry if that offends your fierce protectionist stance.
Actually I'm not.

Wow. Sorry for having an opinion. Where in my post am I "moaning"?
So he's done 6 seasons and he's still poor in a good number of areas a keeper can't be. Not every player makes it and just because he wears your clubs shirt don't let objective judgement be clouded by rose coloured Bladey glasses. I think Long is poor and will settle in Lg 2 or below. Sorry if that offends your fierce protectionist stance.
Actually I'm not.

well last season in a shocking side he still kept 14 clean sheets , and another 13 games where we conceded 1
thats 27 out of 38 appearances last season , where we let in 1 or less, thats a solid base to be a keeper
http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=58132&season_id=145

But surely that would come with age and experience???

But surely that would come with age and experience???
He's had 6 years of that experience and he still lacks many fundamental and essential elements of the role.
Bottom line is I think he's a poor goalkeeper. Hardly a hanging offence as some seem to think. He might be a nice lad blah blah blah all of which means diddly when he's misjudged another shot/cross/angle. God help us if Long is needed in the event of an injury to Moore.

Back
Top Bottom