Players or Managers that look back and regret joining us

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Does Nathan Blake qualify. Clearly didn't enjoy his time here and it never really worked out.

Does Nathan Blake qualify. Clearly didn't enjoy his time here and it never really worked out.

Blake is an odd one, great scoring record, but he didn't enjoy it here and obviously got relegated. Then again he got relegated everywhere (5 times from the Premier League I think).

David Weir.

I thought he might be suicidal in an ultra timid interview with radio sheffield.

Genuinely concerned for his mental health.

Luke Freeman for me. Surely needed to realise the move was years too late, ended up wasting a couple of seasons.

Surprised with the Adkins comment. Anyone with a clue could work out he had an inflated reputation on the back of having a can't miss Southampton squad that anyone could win promotion with. He has to have known that, and will take the best contract he can, knowing he'd get paid out after a season. Naturally said people with a clue were not on the United board at the time

Micky Adams took over letting heart rule his head, leaving Port vale who were top of League 2 at the time & we ruined his career

I agree he probably regrets joining us but as for ruining his managerial career I wouldn't go quite that far.

He was a Premier League manager with Leicester in the mid 2000's, then as you pointed out he was a League 2 manager by the time we appointed him so I think you could say his best days were already behind him. I reckon that he only got another shot at the Championship because it was us (his boyhood club), no other second tier club would've even thought about him.

Thinking back again to our darkest ever period. I'm sure Happy Harry Haslam regretted taking on the Blades job as much as we did.
I bet he didn't........Haslem set us back 10 years.....he inherited a great youth side (Edwards, Stainrod, Conroy, Hamson, Kenworthy) and replaced them with utter shite, every blade on this forum should regret his time with us.

Jordan Slew didn't join us in the sense of a transfer did he? He came through our academy from a young age (and if you do make it all the way to the first team when you're old enough you can't possibly know/predict what it will be like at the club with it being so many years away) so how could he have regretted joining us? He's from Sheffield so our academy was pretty much his only option, locally anyway. The Pigs' academy isn't anywhere near as good as ours even way back then. Our academy is by far the best in South Yorkshire and probably Yorkshire as a whole you could argue.

IMO I'd say that it could be the other way round in that he regrets leaving us in the first place. Youth players that seem quite promising that leave too early is one of the main factors of why sometimes their potential doesn't become fulfilled. Granted he may have still turned out to be a very shit journeyman had he stayed and tried to break into the first team.

Edit: in relation to my bold - there are definitely a fair few players and managers that regret leaving us, maybe cause for a thread of its own?

Last edited:

BBC 606 poster in response to the claim..”he’s not fat, he’s heavy boned”

“Well, he’s got a particularly heavy arse bone”

Jordan Slew, the only player I can truthfully claim to be ITK on.

He hated every moment at United and was of the opinion the club was holding him back in his career ambitions. We were small-time in his eyes.

Judging by his trajectory, I'd say he's probably had a few more regrets since, cunt.
Another cunt? I thought the main one wss Che Adams?
Good player is Che.

Interesting to compare the trajectory of two recent players at the Lane. Mousett and McBurnie both arrived with similar potential as strikers/goalscorers.
After similar decent starts, both seemed to be a lost cause.
Both will have had the benefit of advice regarding their on and off field performances.
Maybe the change in management had a lesser effect on Mousett than it did on McBurnie.
On the whole, I don’t think Mousett enjoyed his time at Bramall Lane?

Luke Freeman for me. Surely needed to realise the move was years too late, ended up wasting a couple of seasons.

Surprised with the Adkins comment. Anyone with a clue could work out he had an inflated reputation on the back of having a can't miss Southampton squad that anyone could win promotion with. He has to have known that, and will take the best contract he can, knowing he'd get paid out after a season. Naturally said people with a clue were not on the United board at the time
Adkins took that Southampton squad from League One to the Premier League. Regardless of how shit he was with United (and he plumbed levels of shitness I’ve never seen before or since), you can’t disregard the his achievement with Southampton and can’t argue that we weren’t entitled to hope for something similar.

Geoff Horsfield
Saw him in town not long after be’d signed out with a few of his mates , asked him if he was looking forward to the challenge & he basically said he didn’t want to leave West Brom .. to which I replied what knob you are . ... absolute arrogant wage thief wanker who put fuck all effort in

Jordan Slew, the only player I can truthfully claim to be ITK on.

He hated every moment at United and was of the opinion the club was holding him back in his career ambitions. We were small-time in his eyes.

Judging by his trajectory, I'd say he's probably had a few more regrets since, cunt.
Worked at his house a couple of years ago still thinks he’s the big I am .. tosser

I'm not sure he regretted it one bit. He must have known his knees were on the way out and got one last pay day. Did he retire the season he joined or did he see his contract out?

Remember his 45 minutes for us very well. He had a decent 1st half, looked composed on the ball and not afraid to put his foot in and then ... he didn't come out for the 2nd half and was never seen in a Blades shirt again!!!

Think we'd paid over a million for him (big big money for us at that time). Something well dodgy about that.

Neither did I, given he was at fault for 2 of the 3 goals he conceded in his only game.

I did enjoy his penalty save having said that.
Got absolutely pissed wet through that day on the open terrace at Selhurst ... big mistake leaving the pub after a great sesh beforehand

Nathan Blake doesn't have much time for us does he?

I never got that impression. Is he quoted as saying that? I never saw anything other than big effort from him.

Opposition defences hated him. Love that in one of our players.

Managers: Adrian Heath, Micky Adams, David Weir, Nigel Adkins.

Players: Nathan Blake (the dickhead!), Leon Briitton, Lee Baxter, Dave Kitson (maybe?), Michael Higdon, John Brayford (on a permanent deal?), Martyn Woolford, Dean Hammond, Connor Sammon, Ryan Leonard, Ben Woodburn, Luke Freeman, Robin Olsen.

Back
Top Bottom