PL clubs taking furlough payment option

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I gave you a like for your initial post and agree with your point about football clubs, but you've really lost it here. If you don't understand how the world of business and commerce works, you should keep your head down.
I don't care, I didn't do it for likes.

Do you think Richard Branson has all of his £3bil personal fortune tied up?

Do you believe that the owner of a company shouldn't be the one who ploughs money in to keep it afloat? Maybe consider changing your business model if you're having to throw millions in so it doesn't go to the wall... just a thought.

Oh, and for the record, absolutely every billionaire is a cunt. You don't become a billionaire if you aren't one. So please let's put away the tiny violins.

I gave you a like for your initial post and agree with your point about football clubs, but you've really lost it here. If you don't understand how the world of business and commerce works, you should keep your head down.
People are getting confusing personalities and celebrities with the actual business and that's easy when it comes to Branson because of how he puts himself front and center.
However, what you are talking about with these airlines and other business if the government doesn't bail them out they'll go to the wall. Owners aren't going to cover these losses if it do not make the business viable, they'll cut their losses and you can't make them do otherwise. Airlines have massive costs while they are unable to fly, and it's also incredibly competitive as they're all cutting each others throats. They're also quite large employers, so are we really saying that we want these companies to go to the wall, effecting thousands of UK workers because we don't like the owners?

One other point is that Virgin fell into the red in 2017 and were hoping to return to profit in 2021, which is now unlikely. Given the current situation would you, as a shareholder, invest your money into them at the moment in order to keep them going if the government says it won't. When's the return going to come, and without shareholders sticking with them, Branson certainly won't cover the gap from his own pocket.

Last edited:
So what? You do realise shareholders are also normal people as well, we're not all fat cats living in mansions, also some people rely on those dividends are part of their retirement income. If you read the news, you'll see that many companies are now cancelling their dividends, but Easyjet's dividend was paid before the country went into complete lock down.

How long do you think an airline can survive when it's entire fleet of planes are grounded with wages and other overheads to pay? The government should be applauded for supporting well run companies which are experiencing financial difficulty through no fault of it's own.
Point blank refuse to applaud the government for throwing money at million/billion pound companies yet offer those most in need 97 pounds a week.

Do you believe that the owner of a company shouldn't be the one who ploughs money in to keep it afloat? Maybe consider changing your business model if you're having to throw millions in so it doesn't go to the wall... just a thought.
How much of his personal fortune does he have in spare cash and how much will it cost to keep Virgin afloat?

Yes 100%, however, you may have noticed this is not normal circumstances, Virgin and Easyjet aren't struggling because they're losing customers to BA and Ryanair, it's because governments have effectively closed them down for 2 months. Luckily the government realises they need the likes of Easyjet and Virgin post Covid-19 pandemic and are offering support.

How much of his personal fortune does he have in spare cash and how much will it cost to keep Virgin afloat?
He's probably got plenty, considering he pays no UK tax.

If Branson paid his 8,500 employees £500 a week for 8 weeks his net worth wouldn't even fall 1%. Just think about that.

So what? You do realise shareholders are also normal people as well, we're not all fat cats living in mansions, also some people rely on those dividends are part of their retirement income. If you read the news, you'll see that many companies are now cancelling their dividends, but Easyjet's dividend was paid before the country went into complete lock down.

How long do you think an airline can survive when it's entire fleet of planes are grounded with wages and other overheads to pay? The government should be applauded for supporting well run companies which are experiencing financial difficulty through no fault of it's own.
In all honesty if these banks and companies weren't to give a penny to their shareholders or in bonuses, but instead gave it to food banks or to the care homes that have dwindling provisions - then that would be a positive start IMO. If needs be, let shareholders sell their shares - their needs are still way less than many others and far less than the most in need. I would have thought that much was self evident at a time like this.

He's probably got plenty, considering he pays no UK tax.

If Branson paid his 8,500 employees £500 a week for 8 weeks his net worth wouldn't even fall 1%. Just think about that.
So you have no idea how much he has available, how much it would cost him, and continue to confuse wealth with net worth. As I said, probably best to keep your head down.

I came across this today whilst contemplating how cars have developed over my lifetime.

According to one survey, Ford was the seventh richest man ever to live, and one of the first of the modern breed of billionaire businessmen (in the days when a billion really was worth boasting about). Before Ford, Carnegie, Mellon and the rest, mankind's super-rich were all feudal types – pharaohs, kings and tsars – who stole or inherited their cash, rather than the hard-working, madly driven visionary sons of immigrants. The obscene differences in economic power we ponder today are older than we suppose.

It sums it up better than I could. In fact, I suggest that whilst we’ve got a lot of downtime, people read history. Most of it’s quite interesting and it gives you a good idea of how 'the world’ ie humanity, actually works. The bottom line is that we’re peasants, we’re cannon fodder, we’re there to keep rich people wealthy and in return they provide us with some kind of order and protection.

Before everyone gets there knickers in a twist about subsidies to profitable companies, football clubs not sharing the pain equally etc etc
You would hope someone with a bit of decency and morality would show some leadership , but unfortunately greed is good , that sounds familiar ?
You as British taxpayers ( and me as an Irish one )
Are already subsidising people in low wage jobs
( their bosses plead inability to pay ) and their income is topped up I think in the last set of figures I read about 2 million peoples wages ( in the U.K. ) are being paid to keep them out of the poverty trap , where as if they were payed a decent wage , they wouldn’t need government
( taxpayer) hand outs
It’s just right now with C19 , people’s greed is being highlighted more , and in some respects rightly so
I’m in work ( an essential service , to the food and pharma sector ) so worried about what the future may hold
But I’m not so blind to see we’ve all been being robbed for ( and will continue) to be once inequality is ok
I’m not against anyone making money and doing better for themselves , I just hate it when people fuck each other of for a few quid

In all honesty if these banks and companies weren't to give a penny to their shareholders or in bonuses, but instead gave it to food banks or to the care homes that have dwindling provisions - then that would be a positive start IMO. If needs be, let shareholders sell their shares - their needs are still way less than many others and far less than the most in need. I would have thought that much was self evident at a time like this.
That will cause companies to likely go out of business, if there is a massive run on their shares. Also those most likely to be affected will be pensioners or those just about to take their pensions which they've paid into for 40 odd years.
I think dividends could be witheld, although I'm still not 100% sure if that's right and fair, however if it keeps the business running it makes sense. But suggesting investors should pull their money would have huge repercussions.

So you have no idea how much he has available, how much it would cost him, and continue to confuse wealth with net worth. As I said, probably best to keep your head down.
I know how much it would cost him you fool, I’ve just told you.
Do the maths, do you not think he has that money available? Do you not think that measly (in the grand scheme of BILLIONS) is easily attainable if it is indeed ‘tied up?’

You can keep saying that if you want, try to not be a bootlicker all your life...

That will cause companies to likely go out of business, if there is a massive run on their shares. Also those most likely to be affected will be pensioners or those just about to take their pensions which they've paid into for 40 odd years.
Or to put it another way - we're all in it together, but those with shares and wealth are less in it than those without.

This is a time when the rules need to apply equally to all, no matter how much wealth in shares etc they have.

I came across this today whilst contemplating how cars have developed over my lifetime.

According to one survey, Ford was the seventh richest man ever to live, and one of the first of the modern breed of billionaire businessmen (in the days when a billion really was worth boasting about). Before Ford, Carnegie, Mellon and the rest, mankind's super-rich were all feudal types – pharaohs, kings and tsars – who stole or inherited their cash, rather than the hard-working, madly driven visionary sons of immigrants. The obscene differences in economic power we ponder today are older than we suppose.

It sums it up better than I could. In fact, I suggest that whilst we’ve got a lot of downtime, people read history. Most of it’s quite interesting and it gives you a good idea of how 'the world’ ie humanity, actually works. The bottom line is that we’re peasants, we’re cannon fodder, we’re there to keep rich people wealthy and in return they provide us with some kind of order and protection.
I do study history, it's one of my passions, and you are right, it teaches us an enormous amount, though people often think it's pretty worthless. I think your summary is, however, a little over-simplistic and extreme. One thing modern governments have done is attempt to take over the rule of the feudal overlords so that, in principle, "the people" are in charge of themselves. Yet often end up simply replacing one overlord with another, albeit constructed differently.
With regards to rich vs poor, it's an eternal struggle, but there's a hell of a lot of hypocracy that gets spouted amongst the vitriol.

So the banks have been told by the regulator not to pay dividends or bonuses at all this year and the insurance companies advised to do the same. Any company who receives government aid through the furlough scheme should be prevented from paying a dividend otherwise it just a direct subsidy from the tax payer to shareholders.

And one thought on football clubs saving money....all premier league clubs threaten to furlough players unless they take a massive pay cut. £2500 a month or a 75 % pay cut will focus minds !

I know how much it would cost him you fool, I’ve just told you.
Do the maths, do you not think he has that money available? Do you not think that measly (in the grand scheme of BILLIONS) is easily attainable if it is indeed ‘tied up?’

You can keep saying that if you want, try to not be a bootlicker all your life...
You don't know how much he has available but keep talking about billions. That's not "doing maths", that's guessing. I asked you how much it would cost to keep Virgin afloat and you told me how much it would cost to subsidise the employees wages - two completely different things. What if he spends all his available cash on wages and then needs millions to stop the company going bust? Who saves the company then?

My current gripe with Richard Branson is his hypocrisy. When other airlines were going down the shitter he publicly stated failing airlines must be allowed to go bust- Haven't heard him raise this issue now

I do study history, it's one of my passions, and you are right, it teaches us an enormous amount, though people often think it's pretty worthless. I think your summary is, however, a little over-simplistic and extreme. One thing modern governments have done is attempt to take over the rule of the feudal overlords so that, in principle, "the people" are in charge of themselves. Yet often end up simply replacing one overlord with another, albeit constructed differently.
With regards to rich vs poor, it's an eternal struggle, but there's a hell of a lot of hypocracy that gets spouted amongst the vitriol.
Of course it’s simplistic and extreme but it’s a message board, I’m not writing a dissertation for a doctorate in politics and social history.

My current gripe with Richard Branson is his hypocrisy. When other airlines were going down the shitter he publicly stated failing airlines must be allowed to go bust- Haven't heard him raise this issue now
..because it’s a bad time to buy bankrupt airline businesses

The lessons we learn from history are no doubt subjective. How I understand English history, from Magna Carts, through Dr Montford and Lancaster all the way to emancipation and the Miner's Strike is that the "peasantry" have had to struggle for every right throughout the centuries, but that the rich will use times like this to seize back what power they can - and will do whatever it takes to safeguard their wealth and influence.

That's why we need to ensure that the rules apply equally to all - and are seen to apply equally.

Or to put it another way - we're all in it together, but those with shares and wealth are less in it than those without.

This is a time when the rules need to apply equally to all, no matter how much wealth in shares etc they have.
Again I think the issue is perception. Shareholders are seen as wealthy individuals or owners when actually it'll be mainly average Joe's, earning average wages but they'll be investing in shares mainly through their pensions managers for their retirement or maybe even in staff share schemes rewarding the workforce for good company performance.
I wholeheartedly agree with your last sentence, but some folk on here are proving it's no good having a very simplistic view of good and bad. Actions have repercussions, and while everyone on here would have a problem with government money going directly to wealthy individuals like Branson, that's not the real outcome.
Sure he'll make money once they return to profit, but the important thing is British workers will keep their jobs, keep paying their mortgages, putting money into our economy and unlike Branson, pay their tax.

yes i agree that premier league teams have plenty of money & shouldnt need to. especially as club will be getting £120m - £150m in season prize money revenue.

but can i not necessarily defend the actions. but give another point of view we know what a terrible financial state some of the premier league clubs are in. proven by numerous clubs that who were relegated & ended up in a fire sale to pay the bills. in last set of accounts for premier league despite more money than every other time in football history. 7 PL clubs made a loss & 1 broke even. then alot of people are seeing all this money & alot of people are wanting it football league clubs, non league clubs, government, & now mayor of London has asked for them to help. now money is alot but it will go so far

The lessons we learn from history are no doubt subjective. How I understand English history, from Magna Carts, through Dr Montford and Lancaster all the way to emancipation and the Miner's Strike is that the "peasantry" have had to struggle for every right throughout the centuries, but that the rich will use times like this to seize back what power they can - and will do whatever it takes to safeguard their wealth and influence.

That's why we need to ensure that the rules apply equally to all - and are seen to apply equally.
Yes, subjectivity is a big part of how we view history, which is one of the reasons it interests me. I think it's very easy to apply history to our own ideologies to support them whether they really fit or not. It's true that the poor and lowly have had to struggle to gain their rights, equally let's not forget the many good men and enablers, wealthy and from the upper classes, who helped along the way.
What I don't see very clearly is how the rich are using this crisis to seize back power.

I'd read it. :)
I do wish I’d done a degree in it. I’m pretty good on post Norman England but I’ve gone back to Mesopotamia and started working forwards, chronologically. There’s a lot of it. I think my brain can only cope with Europe and the Levant, there are two other cradles of civilisation that I haven’t even looked at yet.
Then I watch University Challenge and some smart arse can answer detailed questions on the Peloponnesian Wars and I think ‘I’m never going to get to that level’.

So the banks have been told by the regulator not to pay dividends or bonuses at all this year and the insurance companies advised to do the same. Any company who receives government aid through the furlough scheme should be prevented from paying a dividend otherwise it just a direct subsidy from the tax payer to shareholders.

And one thought on football clubs saving money....all premier league clubs threaten to furlough players unless they take a massive pay cut. £2500 a month or a 75 % pay cut will focus minds !
They won't do that and there is a simple reason why not. If you take more than 50% pay cut then you are effectively put on short-time. There are legal limits around how long a person can be put on short time for (this is different to laying off which is what Furlough is doing - short time would supersede Furlough therefore if you are Furloughed and your wage is less than 50% (ie you earn more than £60,000.01 effectively), then you will be on short time not Furlough. If you exceed the legal limit for short-time - which will almost certainly happen in the current situation - then you are entitled to claim redundancy, even on a fixed term contract (which footballers are). So you have to imagine that these footballers, who cost millions of pounds, are suddenly available for free transfer. Clubs will therefore not Furlough players and no player will be allowed to take more than 50% pay cut.

Then I watch University Challenge and some smart arse can answer detailed questions on the Peloponnesian Wars and I think ‘I’m never going to get to that level’.

I think you are a similar age to me (50s). In that case I'd concentrate on trying to save the few remaining brain cells for important stuff like 'where's the bottle opener' rather than ancient Spartan wars.

I'm here for more helpful advice, wellness, life coaching and mindfulness as required....

I’m not sure any of those are particularly good examples, other than the strike, which is possibly a watershed moment in this country and deserves a more detailed analysis than I’m prepared to do.
The Magna Carta was about empowering barons, not the common man. As was Simon de Montford, who was a bit of a prick imo.
I’ve no idea what you mean by ‘Lancaster’ as there are many options.
If I was going to look at the struggle between rich and poor, I’d look towards the industrial revolution; collectivism and unionism (and the philanthropist movement of the Methodists, Quakers etc, even if many of them seemed to view it more like ‘giving money to a donkey sanctuary, such was the opinion of many philanthropists towards the people they were helping) through to the immediate period following WW2.

Back
Top Bottom