Pissed over-reaction or…

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not always no. In this case, I fear it is.

And given that we’ve just played a team off the park, through the middle, I’m not sure what we’d be trying to achieve in finding out.

1. I'm not advocating 'dropping' someone to make space for Berge after that performance, like anyone else he needs to work his way back in. If he doesn't, that's on him.
2. I'm as thrilled as anyone with the win but it is one single game against Peterborough United. Let's not assume that the 11 today is our best. There are 40 games yet and I suspect that by the end of the season our 'best 11' will look different again. I wouldn't be surprised if Berge is in that 11.

Fair points, but for me Norwood along with a few others seemed to have their mojo back today. Without Norwood we wouldn’t have got promoted to the Premier League, he has far more credit than debit in the bank. I agree he has had a terrible time since lockdown along with quite a few of the team, they all seemed to be mentally and physically shot. The problem is l think we all get seduced by a sizeable transfer fee, me too when we signed Berge. But my eyes tell me otherwise, he didn’t cut it in the Premier league and he won’t in the championship either. Let some other team benefit from his talent, the midfield looked fine today without him.

Edit - in reply to Rudders post.

Apologies for the slightly negative note, but yes, today was great fun and very enjoyable. Does it mean we're promotion contenders? Let's not be silly chaps.

Straw man alert - who’s talking about promotion contenders?

1. I'm not advocating 'dropping' someone to make space for Berge after that performance, like anyone else he needs to work his way back in. If he doesn't, that's on him.
2. I'm as thrilled as anyone with the win but it is one single game against Peterborough United. Let's not assume that the 11 today is our best. There are 40 games yet and I suspect that by the end of the season our 'best 11' will look different again. I wouldn't be surprised if Berge is in that 11.
Though I agree with most of that, Berge hasn’t had one consistent spell in nearly two years for us. I’m past wondering what he might bring to the table.

The bloke behind me today said something along the lines of “Berge’s still missing, imagine him in the team”. My response was along the lines of “maybe him not playing is the reason we played well”.

The only one I’d change from today would be the keeper for Olsen.
Youd keep jack robinson?!

Though I agree with most of that, Berge hasn’t had one consistent spell in nearly two years for us. I’m past wondering what he might bring to the table.

Aside from McGoldrick, who has been consistent for us in the last two years?

Again, correlation vs. causation.

Fleck has generally been ineffective and disappointing for about as long. Today he was excellent (particularly after the first 20). So 'we' (not you or I but plenty on here) shift in the space of one game from calling him 'finished' to calling him 'excellent'.

I think the best thing we can do is focus on the improvement brought by the new lads today (MGW and Ndiaye obviously!) and not on the uninspiring performances we've seen from others who didn't play today. Personally feel like that is drawing the conclusion the wrong way around, if you get what I mean?

Straw man alert - who’s talking about promotion contenders?
This afternoon there were a few, and I must stress few, comments that were giddy with possibility. If the accusation of 'straw man' should be directed anywhere it's in the direction of those who fail to keep their feet firmly placed on planet earth.

Aside from McGoldrick, who has been consistent for us in the last two years?

Again, correlation vs. causation.

Fleck has generally been ineffective and disappointing for about as long. Today he was excellent (particularly after the first 20). So 'we' (not you or I but plenty on here) shift in the space of one game from calling him 'finished' to calling him 'excellent'.

I think the best thing we can do is focus on the improvement brought by the new lads today (MGW and Ndiaye obviously!) and not on the uninspiring performances we've seen from others who didn't play today. Personally feel like that is drawing the conclusion the wrong way around, if you get what I mean?
Please don’t add to the long list of excuses as to why Berge doesn’t perform.

I’ve heard some corkers on here, but the idea that him being shite hasn’t been correlated to us being shite could possibly win an award! 😀

Please don’t add to the long list of excuses as to why Berge doesn’t perform.

I’ve heard some corkers on here, but the idea that him being shite hasn’t been correlated to us being shite could possibly win an award! 😀
Um, I think we've got a little lost here. Him 'being shite' (your words) is definitely correlated with us being shite. In the same way that most other factors (and players) are correlated with us being shite. The same correlation exists with upwards of 17 other players in our squad, I think. Though interestingly, a fair few of them played today and played well. So my conclusion would be that they aren't categorically shite. We don't disagree on any of that, I don't think, believe it or not. So you'll have to keep your corker. Sorry.

I always appreciate nominations but I'm far too humble to accept them willy nilly. I'll have a look around and see what else I may be eligible for and will probably self-nominate.

Up The Blades though - excellent result and performance today 🍻

The penny won’t drop for some. We've seen a perfectly functioning midfield for the first time since we brought Berge into it. What’s the common theme?
How do you factor Berge’s lengthy spell out with injury into that? Clearly he isn’t the common theme, equally clearly if there is a common theme its either those who played throughout the last 18 months or the tactics or a combination of both.

I think to be fair Berge deserves a chance to play in a side which has two players NGW and Ndiaye who's primary instinct is to move forward, not stand still or pass sideways or backwards.
We have seen the difference having two attack minded players in the side and now having competition for places in the team has had on Norwood and Fleck yesterday.
Surely Berge deserves the same chance because there is definitely a very good player in there. I should know my track record is not too bad, l spotted good players in Basham and Coady when they first came to United when the vast majority of Blades were writing them off lol.
Whether Berge wants to be here and play for the Blades is a different question but he deserves a chance.

Would Berge instead of Norwood improved us yesterday I’m actually not sure.

Two very different players. I’d like to see the team you’ve suggested play, but Norwood seemingly gets picked for a reason. Thought he was average today and he is so so slow but he did press really well and I’m not sure Berge would

I wouldn't be too smug if I were you. Evidence from this season so far would show that regularly selecting Robinson will cost you in most games, i would change that too.
I’d definitely put Davies in if fit, apologies I forgot about that. That left CB slot will be a problem all season as Davies doesn’t look the player that I thought he would be.

Take a deep breath, wait until we've won a few games on the trot, then, and only then, do we appear to show the potential that a few on here seem to conclude makes us a 'great' side after one very good win. I've seen far too many false dawns where the Blades are concerned to not get carried away by one very rewarding display.
Come the next ten games, if we've managed to accumulate the number of points that suggest we are deservedly a top half of this division team, well then I'll support those who are convinced promotion is a possibility.

Apologies for the slightly negative note, but yes, today was great fun and very enjoyable. Does it mean we're promotion contenders? Let's not be silly chaps.
It's not negative. It's realistic. An opponent weak in all facets of the game, 2 weeks to prepare. I'm confident we won't go down but anymore than that is a while away

Norwood or Berge should be capable of receiving the ball and passing it forward quickly and accurately. Whoever does it best should play.

Berge isn't going to be what we hoped. Norwood is a level below what he was

Two very different players. I’d like to see the team you’ve suggested play, but Norwood seemingly gets picked for a reason. Thought he was average today and he is so so slow but he did press really well and I’m not sure Berge would

Berge might have scored that 30 yard punt...

Take a deep breath, wait until we've won a few games on the trot, then, and only then, do we appear to show the potential that a few on here seem to conclude makes us a 'great' side after one very good win. I've seen far too many false dawns where the Blades are concerned to not get carried away by one very rewarding display.
Come the next ten games, if we've managed to accumulate the number of points that suggest we are deservedly a top half of this division team, well then I'll support those who are convinced promotion is a possibility.

Well said! I’m actually one of those still convinced we’ll be ok, but you’re absolutely right we need 10 games or at least 5 with yesterday’s level or performances before I’d be suggesting any of the players from last season had turned a corner and are what we need to get us up.
Yesterday was great and Fleck in particular had a great second half, which is very promising but there’s a long road to redemption for some of them. They took their first steps, but that’s all for me, they need to keep going.

Last edited:

Slow in what way ? he isnt slow in passing the ball and receiving it to release other players ,just watch carefully who Gibbs White looked to and interacted with throughout the game ,players trust Norwood and he always makes himself available ,never hides unlike Berge. If you are expecting him to outsprint players dont ,that isnt his game and never has been.

Slow in what way ? he isnt slow in passing the ball and receiving it to release other players ,just watch carefully who Gibbs White looked to and interacted with throughout the game ,players trust Norwood and he always makes himself available ,never hides unlike Berge. If you are expecting him to outsprint players dont ,that isnt his game and never has been.
I’d don’t expect you to agree, but I think he is slow in passing the ball, slow in receiving it and releasing it, but I’ve put it down to a serious drop in confidence, noticeably with his first touch. The same reason he slows play down by not going forward and hitting the pings that he was. Players have been available but he’s opted for the safe option too many times but again I put that down to his confidence levels, and players stop making the runs. While not aimed at Norwood, Billy suggested the same that he’s not going to make runs as the ball isn’t coming.
Hopefully tomorrow is the start of Slavs style kicking in and Fleck and Norwood improve back to where they need to be. Fingers crossed.

Unfortunately only got the game on a stream as I am on holiday, excellent display however we can’t get to carried away. I still think with the line up we had yesterday we are suspect defensively, it we get the opposition midfield running at us we open up far to easily, would like to see a defensive midfield player in there who can break up play. Also Osborne great going forward but defensively if he gets a winger running at him then it will be an issue. It was a great performance yesterday, but let’s see what the next few weeks bring. Hopefully more of the same.

The only criticism of Norwood I had yesterday was that he looked weak in the tackle a few times on the halfway line.

Apart from that it was back to being the ‘pivot’ and he gave Fleck licence to do what he does best, drive with the ball.

Lets not forget, although as some on here rightly say "one game doth not a season make",
I like most on here, also doubt that this team is the finished article either.

Berge in place of Norwood ? fucking hell cant people see where the problem is.
I reckon Berge is gonna be a hell of a player one day but he’s no defensive midfielder, feck me his tackling makes Norwood look like Roy Keane. To replace Ollie we need someone who can pass AND tackle…Hourihane? To be honest I don’t know enough about him to know for sure if he the answer. UTB

How do you factor Berge’s lengthy spell out with injury into that? Clearly he isn’t the common theme, equally clearly if there is a common theme its either those who played throughout the last 18 months or the tactics or a combination of both.
I appreciate he’s been out for a chunk, but he’s played plenty of football.

Both on a quantitive (we simply don’t win when he plays and his personal stats are really poor) and qaulititive basis (we were good before he arrived and have been poor since), the story just isn’t very good.

He’s possibly the slowest at sprinting we have, when we get hit on the break and he’s out of position he isn’t catching anyone. We saw that enough in the premiership to know.

Im not suggesting hes slow on the ball & you’re right he always shows for it and is available

Not always no. In this case, I fear it is.

And given that we’ve just played a team off the park, through the middle, I’m not sure what we’d be trying to achieve in finding out.

Peterborough are poor opposition. We still looked susceptible at the back & Norwood was still losing his runners through the middle.
Hourihane & Berge both could offer more in there, I think its worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom