Pick ONE ex-Blade to go into our current team

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Geordie Blade

Reaction score
Yes, yes. International break, etc... Anyway, if you could choose one ex Sheffield United player to go into our current starting eleven, who would it be? They'd be at their SUFC peak, but would need to fit our current system, so wouldn't necessarily be the 'best' player. I only started watching United in 1983, so I'm sure there are plenty of names that I've missed below, and the defence in particular is skewed towards more recent players (I think that's purely because playing styles have changed so much).

Goalkeepers. Hodgkinson, Tracey or Kelly? Great though they were, I suspect that there are other outfield positions where more benefits could be gained.
Centre backs. It's hard to think of any ex players who'd have the energy and attacking skills to fill either the LCB or RCB roles in the current system. Possibly Jagielka in his prime? We have had some wonderful centre backs, and I could imagine Joe Shaw, Paul Stancliffe, Brian Gayle, Paul McGrath fitting neatly into the Egan role if needed.
Left wing back. Dane Whitehouse, Wayne Quinn (his good spell), Curtis Woodhouse would all fit the system, I think. But would they be better than Enda? I don't know enough of the older (pre 1980s) players to know whether they'd adapt to the attacking wing back approach. Tony Kenworthy? Gil Reece??
Right wing back. Obvious recent choices could be Kyle Walker, Kyle Naughton, Matt Lowton or Vas Borbokis. Going back a bit further, I can imagine John Pemberton fitting the system nicely, or possibly Carl Bradshaw. Even further, I don't know enough about Len Badger's style know whether he'd fit RWB.
Centre midfield. They would need to have a decent defensive mind, but be able to use the ball well too. Options since 2000 could include Michael Brown, Stuart McCall or Michael Tonge. People will slaughter me for this, but I actually think that John Gannon would fit our system very very well - he won the ball a lot and could feed the wide players effectively. Good on set pieces too. Gordan Cowans' brief spell showed how well he used the ball. I'm struggling with 1980s players - possibly Glenn Cockerill? Would Tony Currie fit that deeper role? I'm sure there are plenty from the 1960s and 1970s that would do well.
Attacking midfield. Some very good options here. I don't know whether Tony Currie would be best suited to this role, or the deeper midfield role (older fans will tell me). Alan Woodward could fit here, and drift to either wing to support the overloading full backs. Glyn Hodges would add creativity. Alex Sabella?
Centre forwards. Again, there are some decent options up top. I'm not old enough to know whether Jimmy Hagan would fit this role or the attacking midfield position. The system we play (creating a lot of chances) rewards poachers, so Keith Edwards would be worth a look. Obviously going way back, there would be Harry Johnson, Jimmy Dunne and Derek Pace, who could seemingly find the net if given half a sniff. Brian Deane would definitely add something different too, and could be a great partner for Sharp (assuming he stayed in).

I'm sure that I've missed some obvious candidates (e.g. I wasn't quite sure where Ernest Needham, Fred Tunstall or Billy Gillespie would play), but please let me know!

Overall, I think my vote would be to stick TC in the attacking midfielder role. It's a position that still doesn't have a regular name on the teamsheet, so I'd hope that Currie in his pomp did enough to impress Chris Wilder and make it his own :)

Conor Sammon, I miss the fact he was taller and broader than 90% of the forwards in the English League and half a jump would win him the ball every single time, yet the man never ever left the ground with his feet, thought he would use his body weight to win headers and for some reason that didn't work either.

The sensible pick would be Walker. How many of the other players in our history would have been valued at £50m? Playing at the highest level in the modern era for one of the world's top clubs.

But based on the time I grew up, it's Fjortoft. He was my hero.

Kyle Walker- right sided centre half
Michael Brown in the Duffy position
Brian Deane up front.

Billy Tightshirt up front and the old interpretations of the laws.

The other 9 outfield players could fill their boots, with the chaos caused in the opponent's penalty box.

Plenty of choice there to add quality where needed.....but I cannot leave it at one selection, sorry.

At the back, it's not rocket science for me, Alan Kelly in goal, a man made for this standard of football and exactly what we'd need to strengthen us.

Defensively, Kyle W of course, he's developed into an excellent defensive wing-back. And if we could have him fully fit I'd always go for Paul McGrath, as good a central defender as I can recall. I'd also pick Vas, always had a place in my heart for this player.

Midfield? TC as someone I feel could adjust to whatever today's game threw at him, plus Cowans, an exceptional player who would fit in perfectly and become the replacement for Duffy that we'd need. I also loved Hodges and think he could be someone who'd add to our quality. Mustn't forget Brown and Speed either, both capable of bringing the level of experience we'd need.

Finally, our attack. Woodward would be excellent, as would Deano, someone who would have the necessary quality we'd need.

As for what might be called stragglers, Hammond as halftime massage assistant, on minimum wage naturally!

Based on watching since 2003, I reckon these are the best players I've seen outside of the current squad, in our current formation:

Kenny

Jagielka
Maguire
Killgallon

Walker
McDonald
Brown
Armstrong

Brooks

Beattie
Evans

Not sure how many of the above (in their blades' prime) would get into the current side.

Jagielka and Walker would certainly. Brown and Beattie probabaly would and you could make an argument for McDonald and Evans too.

Pretty good to say I've been watching over 15 years and in that time I've only seen 2 players that are definetly better than we've currently got.

My decision is based on since I've been going (1997) and based on player's ability whilst they were at the club.

Therefore, my choice is Vas Borbokis. Whilst I think Baldock is great, Borbokis for me was the next level and his quality with set pieces would be yet another weapon in our arsenal.

Other very close contenders are Maguire and Jagileka for the 'Basham' role. Maguire is maybe seen more as Egan swap, but his ability to get forward with the ball was always evident. Jagielka of course played much of his time with us in midfield at right back on occasion, so I think he'd fit in nicely.

Billy Tightshirt up front and the old interpretations of the laws.

The other 9 outfield players could fill their boots, with the chaos caused in the opponent's penalty box.

How much would you pay to see Billy "tackle" Jack Grealish. He would literally snap the fucker in two.

Walker = RCB
TC = Attacking midfield
Deane = Striker

Europe = 5 years...:D:D:D

Yes, yes. International break, etc... Anyway, if you could choose one ex Sheffield United player to go into our current starting eleven, who would it be? They'd be at their SUFC peak, but would need to fit our current system, so wouldn't necessarily be the 'best' player. I only started watching United in 1983, so I'm sure there are plenty of names that I've missed below, and the defence in particular is skewed towards more recent players (I think that's purely because playing styles have changed so much).

Goalkeepers. Hodgkinson, Tracey or Kelly? Great though they were, I suspect that there are other outfield positions where more benefits could be gained.
Centre backs. It's hard to think of any ex players who'd have the energy and attacking skills to fill either the LCB or RCB roles in the current system. Possibly Jagielka in his prime? We have had some wonderful centre backs, and I could imagine Joe Shaw, Paul Stancliffe, Brian Gayle, Paul McGrath fitting neatly into the Egan role if needed.
Left wing back. Dane Whitehouse, Wayne Quinn (his good spell), Curtis Woodhouse would all fit the system, I think. But would they be better than Enda? I don't know enough of the older (pre 1980s) players to know whether they'd adapt to the attacking wing back approach. Tony Kenworthy? Gil Reece??
Right wing back. Obvious recent choices could be Kyle Walker, Kyle Naughton, Matt Lowton or Vas Borbokis. Going back a bit further, I can imagine John Pemberton fitting the system nicely, or possibly Carl Bradshaw. Even further, I don't know enough about Len Badger's style know whether he'd fit RWB.
Centre midfield. They would need to have a decent defensive mind, but be able to use the ball well too. Options since 2000 could include Michael Brown, Stuart McCall or Michael Tonge. People will slaughter me for this, but I actually think that John Gannon would fit our system very very well - he won the ball a lot and could feed the wide players effectively. Good on set pieces too. Gordan Cowans' brief spell showed how well he used the ball. I'm struggling with 1980s players - possibly Glenn Cockerill? Would Tony Currie fit that deeper role? I'm sure there are plenty from the 1960s and 1970s that would do well.
Attacking midfield. Some very good options here. I don't know whether Tony Currie would be best suited to this role, or the deeper midfield role (older fans will tell me). Alan Woodward could fit here, and drift to either wing to support the overloading full backs. Glyn Hodges would add creativity. Alex Sabella?
Centre forwards. Again, there are some decent options up top. I'm not old enough to know whether Jimmy Hagan would fit this role or the attacking midfield position. The system we play (creating a lot of chances) rewards poachers, so Keith Edwards would be worth a look. Obviously going way back, there would be Harry Johnson, Jimmy Dunne and Derek Pace, who could seemingly find the net if given half a sniff. Brian Deane would definitely add something different too, and could be a great partner for Sharp (assuming he stayed in).

I'm sure that I've missed some obvious candidates (e.g. I wasn't quite sure where Ernest Needham, Fred Tunstall or Billy Gillespie would play), but please let me know!

Overall, I think my vote would be to stick TC in the attacking midfielder role. It's a position that still doesn't have a regular name on the teamsheet, so I'd hope that Currie in his pomp did enough to impress Chris Wilder and make it his own :)

Michael Brown 2002/2003 vintage. Midfield goals, goals and more goals.

A lot of good choices & decent shouts. Yes Len Badger would have suited a RWB role (he had a spell in midfield at one point).
My dad says Jimmy Hagan was akin to God & his goal scoring record suggests attacking mid.
Geoff Salmons was also an excellent attacking mid (better in my opinion to TC in late 60's early 70's).

Where on earth you plucked John Gannon from I don't know. Not sure he'd make the top 50 midfielders list.

Also thought Simon Tracey at his peak & before his injury was close to being the best keeper in England.
Maguire or Eddie Colquoun could have done the Egan role (not saying better).

Last edited:
For someone to fit in with our current side I would say only Deane upfront, Walker at RWB & TC anywhere he likes would be the only 3. Much as I would like to see Woody in there I think our style would have to change to accommodate him, & the same goes for a few others who are good enough but would change the shape of the current team. The 3 I mentioned would slot right in IMO.

Back
Top Bottom