PH - Open and frank interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good interview apart from that, I can tell he’s a bit frustrated with the budget.

In a way the manager should never be happy with the budget

As a manager you should want every player you fancy, as the board you should be juggling the playing squad against resources

2 occasions I can think of where a manager got every player he wanted was Redknapp at pompey, and oLeary at Leeds

Both ended up in Div1 and bust

There is another one I seem to recall…. about 3 years ago actually……… which had PH not done the business this year I fear we would have been going into admin

If he’s genuine I’m more surprised PH wanted to keep them, both struggled in championship, both would be embarrassed in EPL
I would rather give Jebbo Billy’s shirt and at least if we go down we’ve blooded young uns to take us up year after

Any takeover from now wouldn't be effective until the Christmas transfer window. If I was hecky I'd be looking to blow the budget on some expensive loans in hope of the takeover.

Broja on loan!

Yes, but last season we weren't sure of the PL money....now we are. Presumably the offers to Berge and Ndiaye will be much higher now.
But not as high as they will get elsewhere and with relegation clauses in that have a 50/50 chance of being activated!

Both Berge and Illi are off next summer whichever league we are in. We just have to hope that they do enough for us this season to keep us up.

They have no interest in signing a new contract. Ndiaye is gone regardless of how this season goes. Berge is likely the same bar some kind of rich takeover/European finish miracle.
You know them both personally do you? Thanks for letting us know their future plans - it's just a shame that the club has wasted it's time offering them new contracts - might as well done nothing and just told everyone to save all the conjecture and speculation.

You know them both personally do you? Thanks for letting us know their future plans - it's just a shame that the club has wasted it's time offering them new contracts - might as well done nothing and just told everyone to save all the conjecture and speculation.

Ndiaye told me he won't sign a new deal until the Billy Sharp flag is put back on the KOP.

Keep it under your hat.

It's a tad concerning that he is disappointed at not being able to retain those players that we did release, that there is such a huge gulf between the manager's evaluations of them and reality is exactly why so many clubs keep the coaching staff out of player recruitment decisions

He’s hardly going to say, ‘Yeah, they were shit anyway, no loss, we move on’ is he?

I’m pretty sure if PH had a credible case for retaining the services of either of them, they’d still be here.

Relying on Hecky being a miracle worker again while the rest of the club's just an ongoing amateur hour without any sense of overriding leadership, organisation, planning, infrastructure development etc.
Listening to his Man City comments wonder if Cole Palmer is a more likely loan this time round.
Make-do and mend in general.

PH has grown as a diplomat this last season. He got his employers out off a serious mess largely due to his own efforts and that of his team. Seems from the interview there has been a disconnect between manager and Board regarding Sharp, otherwise he wouldn't have implied it wasn't his decision or that he was disappointed. It must be difficult for him to be told by non footballing people that they know best when it comes to matters on the pitch when last season at times they hung him out to dry with issues over training pitches and bills not being paid.

Sharp going from a playing perspective was probably the right decision even though it was handled badly by the Club. The decision would have been much better coming from a Sporting Director with a football background that could provide support to PH between him and the Board. A hole that needs to be filled to allow the manager to concentrate on the players and not the politics.

Relying on Hecky being a miracle worker again while the rest of the club's just an ongoing amateur hour without any sense of overriding leadership, organisation, planning, infrastructure development etc.
Listening to his Man City comments wonder if Cole Palmer is a more likely loan this time round.
Make-do and mend in general.
And yet this “amateur hour” of a club has somehow won promotion to the biggest league in the world twice in four years, reached an FA Cup semi final, lost a Championship playoff very unluckily, and enjoyed success on a scale most clubs dream of, and we ourselves dreamed of during years of failure.
Really tired of all the negativity and whingeing.

Sharp wouldn't have scored a single goal next season, unless he was on the pitch for a penalty. I doubt he would have provided much in the way of assists either. I would hope PH's words are just that of a diplomat, even with a limited budget we should be able to find a better option than Sharp would have been I'm afraid.

And yet this “amateur hour” of a club has somehow won promotion to the biggest league in the world twice in four years, reached an FA Cup semi final, lost a Championship playoff very unluckily, and enjoyed success on a scale most clubs dream of, and we ourselves dreamed of during years of failure.

Don’t we all hark back to the good old days of getting dicked by Swindon Town in the League 1 play-offs? or losing away at Walsall?

They were the truly great times.

He’s hardly going to say, ‘Yeah, they were shit anyway, no loss, we move on’ is he?

I’m pretty sure if PH had a credible case for retaining the services of either of them, they’d still be here.

He could alternatively have said something along the lines of "great servants to the club, but got to move forward, all the best to them going forward" rather than inexplicably sounding like he did actually want them in the squad next season

Are we looking at increasing our commercial streams? It increased significantly last time we went up with the USG sponsorship reportedly being our biggest ever, but we've heard nothing this time around. If cash is that tight you'd think we'd be doing everything in our power to increase revenue.

Not to say we aren't, but if the kit is out early next month you'd think we'd have heard something regarding sponsorship.

I get why he wanted to keep Enda and Billy, but there are plenty of other players that have been at the club long term and get what we are about. The worrying thing is that if he genuinely did want them stay, it doesn't add much hope for the youngsters coming through.

Are we looking at increasing our commercial streams? It increased significantly last time we went up with the USG sponsorship reportedly being our biggest ever, but we've heard nothing this time around. If cash is that tight you'd think we'd be doing everything in our power to increase revenue.

Not to say we aren't, but if the kit is out early next month you'd think we'd have heard something regarding sponsorship.

We've been so poor at this in recent years. Its all like we are short staffed and its task that someone in a different department is picking up when they have time.

We've been so poor at this in recent years. Its all like we are short staffed and its task that someone in a different department is picking up when they have time.
All part and parcel of the owner wanting out unfortunately I fear

Pre-COVID, the club were considering developing a pre match outdoor fanzone area on the land at the back of the kop, bars, street food, live music, big screen live sport etc.

Very well managed by Hecky but you'd have to be wilfully blind to not see the lack of any long term planning, particularly with the infrastructure of the club in terms of staffing including scouting, as well as bricks and mortar.
We haven't enjoyed success any club our size 'would dream of', just utilised the excellence of two managers to have what is likely to be two very short terms in the Prem.
Scratch the surface and our two best players will be leaving for nothing in 12 months and beyond that we have a squad well short of what's needed.
In terms of real substance as a football club we are very definitely still amateur hour.

The worrying thing is that if he genuinely did want them stay, it doesn't add much hope for the youngsters coming through.

I mean this, if he's saying what he's saying then I don't think he can be surprised if Jebbison or Osula were to turn around and say "there's no pathway for me here if you're going to fill the squad with roster cloggers" when it comes round to contract negotiation time

It really does sound like in relative terms, be the lowest spenders of a newly promoted club for ages.

It's a bit surprising that the board potentially over ruled him regards retaining Sharp and Enda. Never a good sign, but then this is how they pee'd of Wilder and then Slav so guess not that surprising. Hecky seems to have the trait of getting on with it better but hope they don't test his resolve too.

We really need a takeover or cash injection, and I just don't see one coming.
Maybe one for the unpopular opinions thread, but I see that as a good thing. No other industry allows so much power and individual freedom with almost zero checks and balances that some situations in football do.

It really wouldn't have been the end of the world if the board had said to Chris, "we can loan Brewster and see, but we ain't paying 23.5m on an untried youngster". I'm pretty sure some on the Board voiced that opinion but Chris pretty much saw himself as untouchable then, so whoever raised these concerns got overruled. How right they were to have raised them though.

Same here. He might have liked to keep Sharp and Ends around. It's easy not to be the bad guy. But the Board probably took a look and evaluated that some 50k per week could be better spent. Sooner or later you have to face reality and if they were players on frees looking for 50k between them, a 38 year old strikers and a 32 year old left back coming off the back of an injury hit season wouldn't grab your attention.

Probably the Prince or Bettis or Yusuf probably told him to make them the bad guys in all this. But it is the right decision. The squad needs rejuvenating and freeing up decent wages has to be done to achieve this, to be recycled and invested in younger players who can still develop.

I’d give Shoutbox a swerve then if I were you. As well as the usual United are hopeless in every aspect stuff, this week we’ve had Yorkshire on the verge of playing Minor Counties cricket, so we’re broadening the slashing scope.

Any takeover from now wouldn't be effective until the Christmas transfer window. If I was hecky I'd be looking to blow the budget on some expensive loans in hope of the takeover.
Prem clubs are allowed a maximum of 2 loan players at any 1 time, max of 4 in a season,& no more than 1 from the same club

Back
Top Bottom