PH - Open and frank interview

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Good interview.

Looking at young players they can develop - Need to plan for the future (squad)
Frees and loans seem to be the order of the day but we might be signing players late in the window
Wanted to keep Enda and Billy
No decisions from the players we've offered contracts to but looking positive
wants to keep Berge and Ndiaye
Not started speaking to City yet regarding players

Good interview.

Frees and loans seem to be the order of the day but we might be signing players late in the window

Why keep Enda and Sharp?

It's a tad concerning that he is disappointed at not being able to retain those players that we did release, that there is such a huge gulf between the manager's evaluations of them and reality is exactly why so many clubs keep the coaching staff out of player recruitment decisions

Worrying he wanted to keep them. I'd have thought he would have had a tap on the shoulder and got told those wages could be better spent on younger players.

Worrying he wanted to keep them. I'd have thought he would have had a tap on the shoulder and got told those wages could be better spent on younger players.

It's more the squad places than wages for me, although that is also a factor. If you're using 3/25 on, for all intents and purposes, good luck charms, that's horrific misuse of resources

Another thing he said was that the club don't have options on Berge & Ndiaye contracts. Signing Iliman onto a new contract should be the clubs biggest priority this summer.

It really does sound like in relative terms, be the lowest spenders of a newly promoted club for ages.

It's a bit surprising that the board potentially over ruled him regards retaining Sharp and Enda. Never a good sign, but then this is how they pee'd of Wilder and then Slav so guess not that surprising. Hecky seems to have the trait of getting on with it better but hope they don't test his resolve too.

We really need a takeover or cash injection, and I just don't see one coming.

It's more the squad places than wages for me, although that is also a factor. If you're using 3/25 on, for all intents and purposes, good luck charms, that's horrific misuse of resources

Maybe he could have kept them if Sharp and Stevens wanted a derisory contract on much reduced terms. Which would be an insult to them for what they have done for the club and still be money that could be allocated elsewhere.

Another thing he said was that the club don't have options on Berge & Ndiaye contracts. Signing Iliman onto a new contract should be the clubs biggest priority this summer.
Certainly, unsure as to why the interviewer didn't ask "are you going to try and offer new deals?"

Dreadfully worrying. I won't say too much as I was, fortunately, spectacularly wrong on how we'd do when we last went up.

Good interview.

Keeping Enda would have been a bizarre decision, he’s regularly injured and absolutely shit himself against Benson (Burnley) never mind the lads we’re up against now.

Billy I could see why he’d want to keep him, however it’s the right decision imo.

Good interview apart from that, I can tell he’s a bit frustrated with the budget.

Certainly, unsure as to why the interviewer didn't ask "are you going to try and offer new deals?"
Weren't we trying last season and there's no interest from the players in staying?

Yes, but last season we weren't sure of the PL money....now we are. Presumably the offers to Berge and Ndiaye will be much higher now.

Good interview.

I think amongst his many strengths, his willingness to bite his tongue and possibly stretch the truth to protect the board from criticism is a real key one. He's not a doormat or a yes man by any stretch but he gets that sometimes you just can't say what you want to say. As much as I loved Wilder, he didn't do that nearly as well.

In terms of managing upwards and protecting relationships, Hecky has been absolutely superb.

Fingers crossed we get a takeover soon and we see what this management team and squad can do with the backing of a board that have the means and, hopefully, the knowledge, desire and skill to drive us forward. Without it, there have to be enormous question marks over 24/25 onwards (if not sooner). I don't subscribe to the belief of others on this forum that it might be easier to sell a club that has no footballers :)

Who had the last say on the Billy decision then?
It clearly wasn't Hecky.

I think he's been really clear on that from the end of last season and has explained his thinking behind it.

He wanted to keep everyone for two main reasons:

1) When it comes to his budget, dividing not much by 5 or 6 is easier than dividing not much by 8 or 9
2) He's really keen to maintain standards (in terms of application, effort etc) and the character and chemistry of the group and the more players you need to replace, the harder that is to do - particularly when you take out a talismanic leader.

Everyone will have different views on whether that's the right thing to do or not but I don't think there can be any debate about who is taking certain decisions at the club.

Pretty much as we expected I think. Loans and frees.
In terms of Bully and Enda, he's not going to say 'yeah, needed to get shit' , he's a diplomatic bloke and in a perfect world with no limits he would keep everybody.

I think he's been really clear on that from the end of last season and has explained his thinking behind it.

1) When it comes to his budget, dividing not much by 5 or 6 is easier than dividing not much by 8 or 9
2) He's really keen to maintain standards (in terms of application, effort etc) and the character and chemistry of the group and the more players you need to replace, the harder that is to do - particularly when you take out a talismanic leader.

Everyone will have different views on whether that's the right thing to do or not but I don't think there can be any debate about who is taking certain decisions at the club.
No I get that.
So, why has Billy gone?

Good interview.

I think amongst his many strengths, his willingness to bite his tongue and possibly stretch the truth to protect the board from criticism is a real key one. He's not a doormat or a yes man by any stretch but he gets that sometimes you just can't say what you want to say. As much as I loved Wilder, he didn't do that nearly as well.

In terms of managing upwards and protecting relationships, Hecky has been absolutely superb.

Fingers crossed we get a takeover soon and we see what this management team and squad can do with the backing of a board that have the means and, hopefully, the knowledge, desire and skill to drive us forward. Without it, there have to be enormous question marks over 24/25 onwards (if not sooner). I don't subscribe to the belief of others on this forum that it might be easier to sell a club that has no footballers :)

Having a budget of loans and frees is a desperate disappointment. We need this takeover.

Yes, but last season we weren't sure of the PL money....now we are. Presumably the offers to Berge and Ndiaye will be much higher now.
They have no interest in signing a new contract. Ndiaye is gone regardless of how this season goes. Berge is likely the same bar some kind of rich takeover/European finish miracle.

Any takeover from now wouldn't be effective until the Christmas transfer window. If I was hecky I'd be looking to blow the budget on some expensive loans in hope of the takeover.

I suspect, in the end, the choice was basically offer them both a new contract and sign two fewer players. They'd be squad players in the sense of rarely playing.

It really does sound like in relative terms, be the lowest spenders of a newly promoted club for ages.

It's a bit surprising that the board potentially over ruled him regards retaining Sharp and Enda. Never a good sign

It is a good sign that the club is getting away from an archaic "manager has a say in everything" as opposed to "manager is responsible for getting the best results out of the playing staff he has to work with". Sharp and Enda were contracted with SUFC, not Hecky.

Back
Top Bottom