People who think we’ll stay up

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tbh I like a good grumble but I think that if the bottom half is as weak as last season we have a shout. Bournemouth, Luton, Burnley and us scrapping it out. Forest were crap for large parts of the season, with Wolves and Everton in deep waters too. Fulham are my dark horse pick to struggle. Hopefully we'll get some decent signings in loan or permanent.

We obviously won't have this squad by the time the window shuts, so it's a pointless conversation right now (although I don't think many of us expect it to be much better than last season, which has to be worrying).

What is clear though, is that everything that is happening (including the lack of transfer activity) is killing any kind of buzz going in to a Premier League season, which is a massive shame. The fans are also a big part of any chance we do have to stay up, so not having them on board from the offset is a bit of an own goal.

A lot of discussion on here is quite rightly about what we have done or not done but it ignores what is going on at other clubs and most importantly what is going on a clubs that are likely to be in the bottom third of the table. We only have to finish above three clubs. No reason to believe we can't finish above Luton we did last season,. They have done some good business but it mostly appears to be with an eye on a quick return to the Championship.

Bournemouth had a poor end to a somewhat erratic season, a new manager in Irola might come with a decent reputation but can't really see what it is based on. They have lost Lemur and are looking in the foreign market for bargains like us.

Wolves are clearly in financial difficulties as they systematically seem to be deconstructing their defence. Lopetegui nearly walked at the end of the season and it looks a bit of a mess.

Everton essentially stayed up because of the unfathomable 5 -1 win at Brighton towards the end of the season and Sean Dyche didn't really seem to improve them. The sale of Ellis Simms to Coventry seems to suggest FFP troubles as why would they sell a young striker when they could have loaned him out. They are a much better team with DCL in their side but he has not had a good recent history with injuries, so if they go into the season relying on him they could be in trouble. Don’t forget they are under FFP investigation as well which could see points deductions

Are Crystal Palace all that. Roy Hodgson gave them a great bounce when he returned last season but keeping him on for another season seems short sighted Wilfred Zaha leaving won’t be as big a loss as it would have been in the past but with Eberechi Eze rupturing his achilles they might struggle for creativity.

Burnley have done some very good business so far and they will probably do more before the end of the transfer window but they were far from the media created “great footballing side” and might struggle when teams actually have a go at them which you would expect in the Premier League

We obviously won't have this squad by the time the window shuts, so it's a pointless conversation right now (although I don't think many of us expect it to be much better than last season, which has to be worrying).

What is clear though, is that everything that is happening (including the lack of transfer activity) is killing any kind of buzz going in to a Premier League season, which is a massive shame. The fans are also a big part of any chance we do have to stay up, so not having them on board from the offset is a bit of an own goal.
Exactly this.

Even the Portugal friendly with Estoril, it’s been planned for weeks. Announced yesterday, giving virtually no one a realistic chance to go for a reasonable price. What the fuck is that all about?

Mate you need to worry about your boys, after that car crash of an interview from Chancer your new manager might be having buyers remorse…
😂😂 yeah I’m a pig, caught me red handed. It’s a bit of a boring retort when someone is perceived to be ‘negative’ that they’re a Wednesday fan.

I'll make my predictions when the transfer window is closed.

Fuck sake. I was almost in a good mood today as well.

Might just throw myself off the nearest bridge after reading that.

Fuck sake. I was almost in a good mood today as well.

Might just throw myself off the nearest bridge after reading that.
Let me know where I’ll make sure the first responders are straight out 👍

People need to change their mindset. too much negativity before the seasons even started. surely no one goes to watch the Blades at Bramall Lane expecting them to lose.
not in their right mind in my opinion. give Hecky and the players a chance. Anything can happen The Legendary Jimmy Greaves said funny old game.put it this way we only need to be better than three teams. I will take 17th place any day. we are going to be the underdog, everyone loves the underdog as the saying goes. I am sure we can surprise a few teams at a packed Bramall Lane.

Dont know if the guy is a pig or not but i woukd suggest that many have stegopig on ignore he has opened a second account
So i would suggest a mass ignore of this oaf as well

People need to change their mindset. too much negativity before the seasons even started. surely no one goes to watch the Blades at Bramall Lane expecting them to lose.
not in their right mind in my opinion. give Hecky and the players a chance. Anything can happen The Legendary Jimmy Greaves said funny old game.put it this way we only need to be better than three teams. I will take 17th place any day. we are going to be the underdog, everyone loves the underdog as the saying goes. I am sure we can surprise a few teams at a packed Bramall Lane.
Such is the gap between the big teams and the rest I do yes. It reflects in the betting odds too.

The games against the likes of Palace are going to be vital.

Can I just ask what you’re basing that on other than pure blind faith?

I’m not generally the type to admit defeat before a ball has been kicked in anger but fuck me we are making it difficult to think any other way.

So far we’ve resigned 2 players we shouldn’t have who would struggle to get minutes at most championship clubs and have given a new contract to what should be nothing more than a squad player.

We are linked with random players from Scandinavia for pittance and just seem in a rather large pickle generally. Keep seeing rumours about Ndiaye being off which doesn’t help.
Generally it’s not too promising and not too positive, we just seem to be looking at taking punts rather than making any meaningful attempt to stay up.

And on the pitch if this side isn’t improved upon it will be a very bad showing as our form vs our peers post-Christmas showed. We lost every game we played against the teams around us. Management have to hold their hands up to that too and be better as we know.

I’m wanting to have some faith instilled in me from somewhere, so please feel free to hit me with both barrels.
We've not got our squad together yet. Probably between 4-7 new signings before the window closes.

We have the basis of a pretty decent team - as shown by 91pts last season.

Also despite the Prem being full of money, it has plenty of disorganised and struggling football TEAMS. Circa March/April 2023 there were 8 teams very much in the relegation picture.

Dont know if the guy is a pig or not but i woukd suggest that many have stegopig on ignore he has opened a second account
So i would suggest a mass ignore of this oaf as well
Put me on ignore then please cos then I won’t have to try and decipher what you’re saying in response, as surely your first language isn’t English 👍

Dm name if you want and I’ll try and sort you out with some grammar tips.

Reactions: sjl
Exactly this.

Even the Portugal friendly with Estoril, it’s been planned for weeks. Announced yesterday, giving virtually no one a realistic chance to go for a reasonable price. What the fuck is that all about?
I'm not sure that's the case. I know a few people who took a flyer on flights to Portugal and hotels some time ago based on rumour. I know a few people who happily jumped on whatever flight and hotel bookings were available immediately the official announcement was made. I know a few people who, realising the opportunity, took a bit more time to stitch together the flights and hotels which suited their requirements.

I don't know anyone who was SERIOUSLY thinking of going, but has not found a way. Sure, the late announcement was not ideal, but I don't buy your "virtually no one" line.

Atm all anyone can do is speculate as to where we will finish.
Not that many teams in the lower half of the premier have done much business.
I would prefer us to take the cautious route we are pursuing now.
It's no good splashing out cash we can't afford on players who will have high wage demands if\when we come back down.
Hecky and the staff know what they are doing. They brought in Anel, Doyle and Macatee. All who were assets. They'll do the same again.
Be patient. Have faith. Enjoy the ride.

I'm not sure that's the case. I know a few people who took a flyer on flights to Portugal and hotels some time ago based on rumour. I know a few people who happily jumped on whatever flight and hotel bookings were available immediately the official announcement was made. I know a few people who, realising the opportunity, took a bit more time to stitch together the flights and hotels which suited their requirements.

I don't know anyone who was SERIOUSLY thinking of going, but has not found a way. Sure, the late announcement was not ideal, but I don't buy your "virtually no one" line.
Fair and good on them. But until it’s announced officially why would people who only have a certain amount of disposable income take a risk on it in a cost of living crisis?

What’s the hold up been?

Fair and good on them. But until it’s announced officially why would people who only have a certain amount of disposable income take a risk on it in a cost of living crisis?

What’s the hold up been?
I can only answer your first question with honesty.... Because they're from the group of United fans who organise their lives around games, because they get immense enjoyment out of travelling to games, having adventures and making memories. They don't view it as a risk. If they book an overseas trip and "it goes wrong" because the game doesn't take place, gets rearranged or whatever, that is just a tut, a smile and put down as an occupational hazard.

It's important to explain and remember that those sort of people exist.

Can I just ask what you’re basing that on other than pure blind faith?

I’m not generally the type to admit defeat before a ball has been kicked in anger but fuck me we are making it difficult to think any other way.

So far we’ve resigned 2 players we shouldn’t have who would struggle to get minutes at most championship clubs and have given a new contract to what should be nothing more than a squad player.

We are linked with random players from Scandinavia for pittance and just seem in a rather large pickle generally. Keep seeing rumours about Ndiaye being off which doesn’t help.
Generally it’s not too promising and not too positive, we just seem to be looking at taking punts rather than making any meaningful attempt to stay up.

And on the pitch if this side isn’t improved upon it will be a very bad showing as our form vs our peers post-Christmas showed. We lost every game we played against the teams around us. Management have to hold their hands up to that too and be better as we know.

I’m wanting to have some faith instilled in me from somewhere, so please feel free to hit me with both barrels.

Always considered pure blind faith to be underestimated myself.

i actually think heckingbottom is a pretty decent manager, and he himself is one good reason for optimism, even at this very early stage of pre-season.

aside from the obvious achievement of dragging us from mid-table obscurity when he took over after slav left to a penalty miss in the play-off semi and then on to what was ultimately a very comfortable promotion last season (including nightmare injuries around the autumn), his haul of nine points from ten games in 20/21, extrapolated over a full season, would have been close to keeping us in the premier league last season (34.2 points).

i think by kick off against palace we’ll have a much stronger squad than heckingbottom inherited from wilder, and more importantly a much, much better team than: Ramsdale, Ampadu, Basham, Bryan, Baldock, Lundstram, Norwood, Fleck, Stevens, Burke, Sharp (shudder!) who started against leicester.

Back
Top Bottom