Paul Coutts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The lad is now fully match fit something he's not had for 2 seasons .he has great technique

As there was last season when I seemed to be in a very small club extolling the merits of a very good footballer .
For whatever reason sitwell, I think what it is is that you get a bit fixated on certain players and then go over the top on them. For example Baxter, taking away his off field antics, you would often go way over the top on how bad his performances were, despite whether they were genuinely bad or not.

Now you've gone the other way with Coutts, and the sun shines right out of his arse hole. Coutts, whilst playing for United, has up to now shown little evidence of your claims that he's an excellent footballer. He hasn't scored goals and hasn't created. There has been an improvement lately, absolutely, but unfortunately he's still got a long way to go before he matches up with your assessment.

For whatever reason sitwell, I think what it is is that you get a bit fixated on certain players and then go over the top on them. For example Baxter, taking away his off field antics, you would often go way over the top on how bad his performances were, despite whether they were genuinely bad or not.

Now you've gone the other way with Coutts, and the sun shines right out of his arse hole. Coutts, whilst playing for United, has up to now shown little evidence of your claims that he's an excellent footballer. He hasn't scored goals and hasn't created. There has been an improvement lately, absolutely, but unfortunately he's still got a long way to go before he matches up with your assessment.
To be fair to coutts his technique is top class ,watch him closely how he leaves opposing players round him .chris seems to be getting more out of him and he could be a big player for us this season .i take on board the negatives but let's give this lad a chance

It's not just about who gets the stats it's a team game and coutts is a glue player that enables others to get the stats. Baxter was the opposite a gambler who played for himself and you can't take the other stuff and leave it out , the guy was a cunt who pissed all over our club many times .
You just don't like me being right :)

It's not just about who gets the stats it's a team game and coutts is a glue player that enables others to get the stats. Baxter was the opposite a gambler who played for himself and you can't take the other stuff and leave it out , the guy was a cunt who pissed all over our club many times .
You just don't like me being right :)
He's gone from bad to relatively good and is still a long way off excellent so no, you're not right yet if you think he's suddenly excellent, although I think you said the same when he was playing poorly, which shows how blinkered you are when it comes to him.

coutts is a glue player that enables others to get the stats

Sorry but I had to laugh at that, I've never seen a worse excuse for shit stats.

What game did you watch? :eek:

He was very good and I've been his biggest critic.
Same one as you fella, but as is the way in football I'm witnessing a barrage of overreaction, as with a number of reviews today, and it's at least the reverse of the previous over negativity. I especially won't fall for it after 2 years of his wage stealing.

It's easier to listen to when it's positive news anyway. And I've applauded his previous performances this season. :)

UTB

Last edited:
He's gone from bad to relatively good and is still a long way off excellent so no, you're not right yet if you think he's suddenly excellent, although I think you said the same when he was playing poorly, which shows how blinkered you are when it comes to him.

Sorry but I had to laugh at that, I've never seen a worse excuse for shit stats.
Then you don't understand football

Sorry Barney but I'm with sitwell

Coutts is the best footballer at the club but he can't do everything himself.

He was in a similar situation to Glenn Cockerill many years ago but hopefully we are turning corner and he will really blossom now

This doesn't make sense, either you have lost your marbles or 'ignored member' is talking some drivel?
You don't have me on ignore though, do you?

You're pretending and I can tell through a way that has obviously passed you by.

He was in a similar situation to Glenn Cockerill many years ago but hopefully we are turning corner and he will really blossom now
Glen Cockerill was sold / bought when we were playing him, and appreciated by just about all fans. Coutts was bombed out and listed with little support from anywhere, and nobody else wanted him. Not quite the same fella. :)

I'm still happy to concede 2 good games in 3 though.

Last edited:

Assuming you're not joking, It's alright having "feelings" that players will or will not go on to play well/not so well, but I really don't know how anyone can categorically state something like that when there is no evidence to back it up. These last 2 games aside, where he has been better, goals, assists, performances, everything goes against him. The mind boggles.

Coutts had a decent game midweek against Leicester, he was playing just in front of the back four and was constantly shouting for the ball, I mean literally all night, playing it out from the back, not banging it forward.

Glen Cockerill was bought when we were playing him, and appreciated by just about all fans. Coutts was bombed out and listed with little support from anywhere, and nobody else wanted him. Not quite the same fella. :)

I'm still happy to concede 2 good games in 3 though.
Simply saying that Coutts was a class above the rest of our team last season in terms of quality but he was drowning in a sea of mediocrity, not that he kept us up single handedly as Cockerill did

Simply saying that Coutts was a class above the rest of our team last season in terms of quality but he was drowning in a sea of mediocrity, not that he kept us up single handedly as Cockerill did
You certainly saw something different to a lot of people last season. :)

Anyway, I don't want to get more entwined in a negative thread after a great win, of which he was part. We're short in the middle and if he can somehow up his workrate to match his technical ability, we will all be delighted.

UTB

I thought he looked decent again today. He's lasting 90 minutes and contributing much more than under previous managers. Encouraging. Well done to a player that I had little time for. has been good in the last 3 games I've seen him play.

I'm not fickle. When the facts change, I'm allowed to change my mind. ;-)

I hope Coutts becomes our Leon Britton (the Swansea version not the shell we saw at the lane) doesn't score goals but was vital in their rise up the leagues due to his ball retention and simple passing and link up play. I really do rate him and I think others will start to see it this season.

Nope, form is temporary and class is permanent and that lad Coutts can play football

When as this previous bad form? He's playing well but this is the first time for us. Last year he didn't even try and now people are saying he's this class player, not assists no goals. Keep the jokes coming

I hope Coutts becomes our Leon Britton (the Swansea version not the shell we saw at the lane) doesn't score goals but was vital in their rise up the leagues due to his ball retention and simple passing and link up play. I really do rate him and I think others will start to see it this season.

I cannot forgive what I've seen of Coutts in the last 18 months and would have paid him off in the summer. But he remains our best technician by a street, and given the right environment (Ie surround him with movement and athleticism), then he will look good. We shouldn't pretend he's suddenly found his fitness - he's probably just more enthusiastic playing in a team that he can flourish in.

Bergen Blade has said for a long time that we shouldn't undervalue players who can run. And I agree - even Pirlo couldn't pick a pass in a midfield of statues like Baxter and Hammond. But players like Done, Duffy and Scougall will allow Coutts to do what he's good at. Long may it continue.

His end product needs to improve, but he looks fitter than he has ever been. His final ball needs to improve and he should have slipped in Clarke. People keep saying we told you so, but he still needs to do more for me.

I think he needs a scougal runner myself and would like to see ffleck and these two be the starting 3. Basham can bring the ball out from the back and would likely still himself into positions like he did today for the cross for the pen.

I have been one of Coutts biggest critics but since he came on at HT against Southend i think he's been a revelation.

We could all see that there was a very tidy footballer in him, that doesn't mean that people who championed him last season can get all high and mighty about that now because his ability was never in doubt.

What no-one could have seen coming though was the energy and aggression he is now showing because for the last 18 months before this it just didn't look as though his body was capable of it.

Keep it up Paul lad because our season could well rely on you doing so.

Coutts just needs (like Basham) to have the guts, determination and confidence, to let a shot go, if he is close to (or in) the box with no other option.

Coutts last season played like he wanted the manager to get the push. Much better and fitter this season, but he is a frustrating player. He's a tidy player and technically he has ability, but he doesn't have great vision for me. Too often the first player he looks for is alongside or behind him (not ahead) - sure he lays off a quick pass but he often gives it to a player in a worse position and his passes are generally to feet not into the space for the player to run on to, killing momentum. When he is in possession and there is space in front of him he doesn't seem to see it and rarely moves into it. He doesn't seem to possess a killer pass and he is shot shy.

I can't honestly say that there is anyone else to take his pace in the team at the moment but that isn't an affirmation that he is a matchwinner - more that we lack real quality in midfield. Dack is unfit but he still looked a class apart today.

Same one as you fella, but as is the way in football I'm witnessing a barrage of overreaction, as with a number of reviews today, and it's at least the reverse of the previous over negativity. I especially won't fall for it after 2 years of his wage stealing.

It's easier to listen to when it's positive news anyway. And I've applauded his previous performances this season. :)

UTB

Understood but a good performance is a good performance. There's no way that wasn't one.

If he's played better than that in previous games he would have been sold before the close of the window and we would be top.

I haven't read through the whole thread and I fully understand Mr Coutts can be marmitesque at times but...

I was down there today and as a long time lurker...
I feel obliged to say coutts was fantastic and looked a cut above.

He looks class on the ball and posses the technical ability to pull off what most league one players dream off.

I personally think he is a player that the higher up the football league system he goes the more accomplished he'd look, a player worth building around.

I don't know his statistics passing wise but today I can't recall too many he put off his target.

If he could hit the net it would be fantastic but today coutts looked like the driving creative force behind a team with massive potential.

Potential however that is raw and staying grounded let's see where we are after 10 games as a side.

UTB as ever and back to shadows I go!

When as this previous bad form? He's playing well but this is the first time for us. Last year he didn't even try and now people are saying he's this class player, not assists no goals. Keep the jokes coming
To be fair every time he ran in to form that prick Adkins fucked him about ,like many others.

Back
Top Bottom