Parking the Bus

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I was proud as punch yesterday, and the answer to the question of whether the tactics were right, is absoblumminloutely.
When we did score in one of our rare attacks, they went back in front in a little over 3 minutes.
They are a well-drilled, well-oiled machine with hardly any weakness, and can punish you from any angle.
We did well to capitalise on Walker's mistake, but look what happened next.
Look at what might have happened if that had been 5 minutes into the game instead of 5 minutes to go.
Look at what happened to much-more-fancied Burnley when they tried to go toe to toe...0-3 at home, 0-6 at Manchester's ground last season.
I'm glad we pissed them off. It was a game of football between 2 sets of 11 players.
If you don't like what the other team does to stop you winning several nil, then tough shit...you better get used to it!

We were roughly 5 mins away from a draw against the Champions of England & Europe and still in it (Anel) with only moments to go.

So…..

We got it bang on. Well,…..very close.

As great as Man City were, I’d die of boredom watching that week in week out. Getting their only excitement from the latest 70mill signing news on Sky Sports News. No wonder they want teams to try and ‘play’ against them, tossers.

Zzzzzzzz

Maybe stick to the rules of FFP and it would be more level and teams might ‘play’ more.
You can't enjoy football much if City bore you.
Watching their movement and ability to beat the press was mighty impressive and could watch Rodri every day of the week.
Great team.

There's nothing wrong with parking the bus against ManCity. They're not interested in having a football match. They want to suffocate you.

Tbh, I find their style of play hard to watch at times. I enjoy end-to-end football, not 100 passes for one shot on goal.

West Ham were 3-0 up at brighton having less than 20% possession.

We did have a couple of chances to break better than we did, but we had a lot of inexperience up there.

You can't enjoy football much if City bore you.
Watching their movement and ability to beat the press was mighty impressive and could watch Rodri every day of the week.
Great team.

I enjoyed it, never said I didn’t. It was great to see it at the lane.

My point was more about City fans having that every week….as much as I liked it, I’d prefer a nice entertaining game on a level playing field than just being ‘impressed’. If you get me? :)

A bit like Thrice mentioned above…

I enjoyed it, never said I didn’t. It was great to see it at the lane.

My point was more about City fans having that every week….as much as I liked it, I’d prefer a nice entertaining game on a level playing field than just being ‘impressed’. If you get me? :)

A bit like Thrice mentioned above…
They have tough games against the other top teams in the league and were doubled by Brentford last season.
They don't win every game and only a few teams will be as poor as us in possession to create such a one-sided attack v defence game as yesterday.
Playing great football and winning trophies sounds pretty entertaining to me.

It's not sheffield uniteds job to entertain oppositions fans and/or football pundits it's sheffield uniteds job to achieve success, not citys type of success but our version of it, which is survival, I have been to the lane where the team has lost the fans during the game but not on Saturday, because we know the reason why they were playing like that, youth team players playing against the European champions and we're a newly promoted side, so in conclusion fuck em

For all our 'parking the bus' gameplay, we didn't once try to time-waste. We've seen teams such as Norwich try to take the pee from the first minute against us and surprise surprise, so did Man City as soon as they scored their first goal. Against the newly promoted rank outsiders? That never got a mention by the pundits or the City fans did it?

Their fans have forgotten how shite they were for donkey's years, and now they feel so cocky they want to suggest every team should go gung-ho against them. We got our tactics right and went super close to denying them a couple of points with an under-strength team just promoted. Their owners have purchased themselves the strongest squad on the planet, and we almost embarassed them big time. Yeah - we're gonna go at 'em gung-ho like Burnley and get smashed - NO THANKS!

This was not the beginning, it was not even the start of the beginning nor the beginning of the start or the end of the start.
It was more a hang on in there lads & lasser's till we get organised and then we'll piss this........ 👍 👍 👍

parking the bus or not, they’d have had much more of a game on their hands if Mcburnie was fit to play 90 minutes. He was the target man we needed

burnley tried going toe to toe with em last season and came unstuck badly hecky got his tactics spot on games against the top 6 wont define our season anyway i would have taken a 1 goal defeat before the game it hasnt damaged our goal difference and that could be crucial think burnley and luton are gonna take some heavy defeats if they carry on trying to play an open expansive game in this league

We should have stopped playing, laid down, rolled over and got our tummy tickled by City. We should admire there superior players and bowed down emit Europes finest team beat us by a record score line.

Course we shouldn’t, our job is get as many points as we can and stick to our game plan. Had there not been small errors in the game we should have got something out of it.

The expert I tend to listen to is someone called Hecky, doesn't always get it right but he generally seems to know what he's doing, along with Mac and Jack

The whole 'parking the bus' notion is a nonsense. We couldn't get the ball off them. When we did, other than a brief second half spell, we couldn't string more than 4 passes together, in part because all our players were in the defensive 3rd. It's not a tactic, it's how it inevitably played out. We played well given the respective gulf in class.

There's nothing wrong with parking the bus against ManCity. They're not interested in having a football match. They want to suffocate you.

Tbh, I find their style of play hard to watch at times. I enjoy end-to-end football, not 100 passes for one shot on goal.
Agree.Some of our games whilst Wilder was here weren't always exciting and too much tippy tappy sideways n back again around the 18yd box🙄.

I think Man City got it wrong not us, by having all the ball, buying all the best players all the time, and the fans being entitled toss pots. Id always rather be us, id always rather be a blade.

So I've read as many will the comments from City fans on the View From, and I decided to debate with a few of them on their forum on various points which probably is a waste of time and obviously you're outnumbered, but one thing they seemed to think was that teams that park the bus deserve to lose because it's negative and that ultimately it doesn't work because you end up conceding at some point anyway and deny yourselves the opportunities to attack by playing so defensively. I think if we'd tried to attack more we'd have got ripped apart. The way Bournemouth and Brentford play was mentioned as a better way to play against City, personally I think we're not comparable to Brentford as they have built their success on an almost unique transfer strategy and been able to sign some very good technical players which are the envy of many. Against teams in and around us then I'd expect that we'll have more of a go but even then I wouldn't expect swathes of attacking moves. In my view Hecky got it spot on yesterday, they think he and our tactics are prehistoric which just sounds very entitled but there you go.

But I'm interested as to what other Blades think, am I in the minority that thought we got it right yesterday? We also had no experienced strikers again yesterday but Traore in particular is looking a great addition. If we'd attacked more could we have opened the scoring and then sat back more? I think we'd have given far more opportunities to them if we'd attacked more/committed more forward.
I think our tactics were spot on, after conceding a goal and 70 mins we ventured forward more. McBurney made a real difference to be honest but if you attack them you get slaughtered. I'm not bothered what they think we as a team arn't there to entertain the self entitled twats!

I thought PH got the tactics absolutely spot on yesterday. We just don't have the Megabucks players like Man City, so parking the bus was our tactic - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. To be honest, it still smarts a bit the fact we got nothing from that game but it was so close... When we equalised it was mental on the Kop, limbs everywhere and random embraces with complete strangers 😆.

But I'm interested as to what other Blades think, am I in the minority that thought we got it right yesterday? We also had no experienced strikers again yesterday but Traore in particular is looking a great addition. If we'd attacked more could we have opened the scoring and then sat back more? I think we'd have given far more opportunities to them if we'd attacked more/committed more forward.

Reminded me muchly of the Blades V Pork 0-0 ( win for them) at the Lane last time.

They parked the bus, nearly scored from a breakaway at the end, our fans were pissed off and silenced because we expected to give them a Boxing Day style massacre after the Bouncing day win.

am I in the minority that thought we got it right yesterday?
Given we almost got a result and scored the first goal conceded by Manchester this season I'd say it was spot on.
Their fans are just pissed that they soiled their underwear over a game of football and big baby didn't get his hattrick.

The comment “Sheffield were anti football” is a bit hypocritical coming from a team that are part of a few select teams that have created ‘Anti competition’.
The ordinary fans hope of winning the league or a cup have pretty much gone.
Just like Chelsky under Abramovich they paid their way to the top though a mega rich benefactor.
Loved the atmosphere and the great banter chants at the Lane yesterday. Just like the old days. Stuff the self entitled twats.

The whole 'parking the bus' notion is a nonsense. We couldn't get the ball off them. When we did, other than a brief second half spell, we couldn't string more than 4 passes together, in part because all our players were in the defensive 3rd. It's not a tactic, it's how it inevitably played out. We played well given the respective gulf in class.
When they say “Look! Look! They’re parking the bus against us!” it’s as much about the way city are playing as the opposition. They have brilliant players who focus on retaining possession and - as pointed out above - play a hundred passes before looking for a shot. We’re chasing shadows trying to get the ball, then can’t keep hold of it, so we have to get back in shape to defend and we’re back to square one. When A. Madrid or similar teams have ‘parked the bus’ in European games they’ve gone up against similar standard players and just said ‘You can have the ball; we’re just going to sit around our box and defend to stop you scoring because we can, and then Griezman or someone will get a goal on a break and and we’ll go through’. That’s nothing like what happens when teams like us come up against city.

We were roughly 5 mins away from a draw against the Champions of England & Europe and still in it (Anel) with only moments to go.

So…..

We got it bang on. Well,…..very close.

As great as Man City were, I’d die of boredom watching that week in week out. Getting their only excitement from the latest 70mill signing news on Sky Sports News. No wonder they want teams to try and ‘play’ against them, tossers.

Zzzzzzzz

Maybe stick to the rules of FFP and it would be more level and teams might ‘play’ more.
Agree, it’s easy when your breaking every FFP rule in the book, it doesn’t make it a level playing field just a farce.

Shearer and Richard’s were full of praise for the Blades on MOTD2, teams like ours just can’t afford to go on expansive attacks, and aren’t prepared to bend over for them, keeping it tight and you always have a chance.

Completely agree. If we had really parked the bus we would have started 5-4-1. We went in with two strikers, but simply didn't have enough ball to cause problems until they sat back a bit after the first goal. We defended really well - not sure you can do much more without the ball.

It was an absolute master class on how to play City.

But for Larouci deciding to do something utterly insane.

But for Anel not putting in a chance from 2 yards.

We would have had a draw- so tough to take when they tried that hard- but 1000% the only way to approach that game was the way we did- BAD LUCK BLADES.

Back
Top Bottom