Our strikeforce and squad depth not good enough

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Define back him? If you are meaning with significant funds where do you thinks it’s going to come from?

Well where did we get 50m+ from first time ever we invested heavily in better quality players than we had.

Berge 22m our record buy and sought after by some of the biggest clubs in Europe reportedly.

We signed McBurnie for 20m and Mousett for 10m.

That wasn't going gung ho like Aston Villa for example Wilder identified who he wanted and who he thought could do a job for us.

And i am sure if we invest more this summer he will invest it wisely on better quality than we already have and help us establish ourselves as a Premier League team for years to come.

Well where did we get 50m+ from first time ever we invested heavily in better quality players than we had.

Berge 22m our record buy and sought after by some of the biggest clubs in Europe reportedly.

We signed McBurnie for 20m and Mousett for 10m.

That wasn't going gung ho like Aston Villa for example Wilder identified who he wanted and who he thought could do a job for us.

And i am sure if we invest more this summer he will invest it wisely on better quality than we already have and help us establish ourselves as a Premier League team for years to come.
So you'd consider the same transfer budget as last summer as backing him?
That would be about £40 Million, as Berge was bought in January, and they said it was done using some of the summer budget.
I personally think £40 Million outlay during this summer window is quite reasonable and very likely so if that meets your definition of "backing him" I think you'll be pleased.
However, from the players you are suggesting on other threads it wouldn't come close to covering their values, hence why I asked the question about what your expectations are for the budget as there appears to be a disconnect between the two.

I’m seriously worried for next season. Since coming back we’ve had a few great results but in the overall picture we look a really bang average side. 4/5 first teamers just don’t cut it for me and the depth is seriously shocking. If the budget is very low this summer then god help us as we need to bring in atleast 8 players and 5/6 of them have to first team standard.
Been looking for an upgrade on knee jerk, but found it now. It’s TomSUFC25.

We all know we need to improve the squad. But as Chris Wilder said improving the squad doesn’t necessarily mean improving our league position. I’m all for being ambitious but some people on here need to be realistic. We massively over achieved this season, the problem is now people think we should push on and be challenging for the top 6! Absolute madness and I can see much more bed wetting next season!

Not all about league position as you say we have massively over achieved in what was expected
So you'd consider the same transfer budget as last summer as backing him?
That would be about £40 Million, as Berge was bought in January, and they said it was done using some of the summer budget.
I personally think £40 Million outlay during this summer window is quite reasonable and very likely.
However, from the players you are suggesting on other threads it wouldn't come close to covering their values, hence why I asked the question about what your expectations are for the budget as there appears to be a disconnect between the two.

CW has earned that backing we have one fo the best managers in the league if not the world and we are blessed to have him.

We spent more than 40m Berge was 22m Mousett 10m McBurnie 20m Robinson 8m Freeman 5m Osborn 3 that is 68m over both Windows.

It isn't necessarily about fees it is about bringing the right quality in to add to what we have.

If we can save money and bring in better quality than what we already have on frees happy days.

I do think we need to improve up top, we create very few chances, so need to take the ones we create far more efficiently. But it's not only up top we need to improve - we need to try to have more control of games, more possession - we consistently concede a lot of possession, home and away, and whilst our defence has done a fantastic job this season we can't rely on that again (a long term injury to any of the back 3 could be a real issue for us). Take some of the pressure off the defence, try to have more of the ball and we'll create more chances. I think we need to improve on the right of midfield, in a creative forward (McG's position essentially) and probably 2 out and out goal scorers, and at least one quality back up centre half, oh and quality cover for the wing backs! All that, of the quality required, is probably going to be beyond our means, so i guess the management team will need to look at what the priorities are.

Not all about league position as you say we have massively over achieved in what was expected

CW has earned that backing we have one fo the best managers in the league if not the world and we are blessed to have him.

We spent more than 40m Berge was 22m Mousett 10m McBurnie 20m Robinson 8m Freeman 5m Osborn 3 that is 68m over both Windows.

It isn't necessarily about fees it is about bringing the right quality in to add to what we have.

If we can save money and bring in better quality than what we already have on frees happy days.
You've ignored what I posted about Berge, in that it was stated he was bought with part of the summer budget and you've topped out your costs for everyone else by rounding everything up.

Mousett certainly wasn't 10 million upfront, and McBurnie wasn't quite £20 million for example, so that's where you'll get closer to the £40M.
But as I suggested, if you'd be happy with that you won't be disappointed, if you're expecting Benrahma, Demerai Gray, Eze, and Wilson then you will be.

Been looking for an upgrade on knee jerk, but found it now. It’s TomSUFC25.
It’s not a knee jerk reaction though is it? There is a Henderson going back to Man U. Few leaving due to no contract renewal. Strike force looks bloated and ability ain’t all that great. No creativity (well there is in Luke Freeman) but he’s hardly featured. Couple of midfielders probably not good enough to sustain a decent position and back up for our back line is absolutely shocking.

It’s not a knee jerk reaction though is it? There is a Henderson going back to Man U. Few leaving due to no contract renewal. Strike force looks bloated and ability ain’t all that great. No creativity (well there is in Luke Freeman) but he’s hardly featured. Couple of midfielders probably not good enough to sustain a decent position and back up for our back line is absolutely shocking.

Strikeforce isn't even bloated really we only have 2 Premier League quality strikers in McBurnie and Mousett Zivkovic going back to China and Clarke leaving and Sharp is just not up to this level either sadly.

I can see us being left with only 4 in midfield Berge Osborn Norwood Fleck and can see Freeman Lundstram Rodwell leaving.

Defensively I think we need to add better quality im defensive cover it was a shame we never really got to see Retsos.

Goalkeeping department if Henderson goes back we are left with no Premier League quality keeper.

Personally if we cant get Hendo back i would be in for Foster for a year or 2 and spend the money strengthening elsewhere Foster has all the experience we need and is a quality keeper.

Having watched that performance today clear as day it highlights the difference in quality had we had Ings or Adams up top for us would have 2 or 3-0 to us in the first half.

2nd half today absolutely abysmal no quality at all Sharp missed 2 quality chances in the game that you have to take at this level.

And i am sorry to say unless we invest in at least 2 quality strikers we are going to be fighting a relegation battle next season

Because the last 3 games especially have been absolutely awful to say the least we have looked more like a relegation threatened team than 1 in the top 10 of the premier league.

The squad depth as a whole is poor to say the least we had no one at all to come on and help us change things around and give us a chance before the penalty of at least getting a draw.

Another awful performance in the 2nd half and lack of quality up front has cost us again we should have been 2 or 3 up in that first half and that is the incredibly frustrating part about it because we constantly throw games away.

It is going to be interesting to see who CW brings in over the coming weeks.

Overall we have had a great season but the last 3 games has shown that if we do not invest in a better quality of players next season we are going to struggle.

I understand where you're coming from but within the last few weeks we've destroyed Spurs and Chelsea also, and we certainly didn't look poor in those two games, nor Wolves match. The last few games we've looked tired and its not just a physical thing either. We do clack a clinical finish at times, but we're not alone here for that finished article, often big money is needed for that, not so sure we have that. Therefore we'll continue to develop players like McBurnie and hopefully find a consistent partner for him next season so that McBurnie and strike partner establish a rapport. Its likely whoever comes in will need time to make the step up if they're coming from the Championship or abroad. I don't see us signing Callum Wilson for example, not that you've said lets sign him.

But I don't think we're in a bad position either up top, McGoldrick has had a good season and its not just McBurnie and Mousset who have potential going forward, McGoldrick in particular can still play big role next season. Billy is a tougher one because he thrive when he plays a lot and gets into a run of goals, like all forwards thrive in that situation, but if he doesn't play as regularly it'll be harder for him to be as Sharp, no pun intended, but I still think he has a role on and off the pitch next season.

We need players elsewhere too, such as centre mid right side and centre back right sided centre back etc.

The last few games have been poor but others have been very good so, overall there's reason for optimism next season. With Wilder his record in the transfer market has been generally very good. As you say, its going to be a busy few weeks, hopefully we'll be delighted with the quality we can bring in.

Strikeforce isn't even bloated really we only have 2 Premier League quality strikers in McBurnie and Mousett Zivkovic going back to China and Clarke leaving and Sharp is just not up to this level either sadly.

I can see us being left with only 4 in midfield Berge Osborn Norwood Fleck and can see Freeman Lundstram Rodwell leaving.

Defensively I think we need to add better quality im defensive cover it was a shame we never really got to see Retsos.

Goalkeeping department if Henderson goes back we are left with no Premier League quality keeper.

Personally if we cant get Hendo back i would be in for Foster for a year or 2 and spend the money strengthening elsewhere Foster has all the experience we need and is a quality keeper.

My thoughts exactly re: Foster - still a quality keeper.

The problem is we haven't been created may chances and because of that the strikers must put the really good ones away. The lack of goals is not necessarily the fault of the forwards - signing a quality 15-20 goals a season striker for this level isn't going to be cheap but he wouldn't necessarily be a 15-20 goals a season player if there's no creativity

My thoughts exactly re: Foster - still a quality keeper.

The problem is we haven't been created may chances and because of that the strikers must put the really good ones away. The lack of goals is not necessarily the fault of the forwards - signing a quality 15-20 goals a season striker for this level isn't going to be cheap but he wouldn't necessarily be a 15-20 goals a season player if there's no creativity

It may cost 30-40m for a striker of that quality but that striker could make a hell of a lot of a difference to the team and ojr league position.

Goals win matches and if you have a prolific striker chances are you will win more often than you lose and to a team like us that could be absolutely vital.

No matter what you do it is a risk but it is worth the risk for us to invest to become and established premier league team and improve our club from top to bottom.

There is a Henderson going back to Man U. Few leaving due to no contract renewal. Strike force looks bloated and ability ain’t all that great. No creativity (well there is in Luke Freeman) but he’s hardly featured. Couple of midfielders probably not good enough to sustain a decent position and back up for our back line is absolutely shocking.
PARKLIFE!!!

But he isn’t our first choice striker. Everyone moaning about the strike force today. Mcburnie went off with a knock. Didzyand Mousset both not available. You take away Liverpool front 3 it’s a whole new game for them.

you mustve blocked out the team news as he's not an impact sub. since arsenal at emirates weve played 14 premier league games & sharp has started in 9 of them including 4 of last 8. if that's not 1st choice not entirely what is

you mustve blocked out the team news as he's not an impact sub. since arsenal at emirates weve played 14 premier league games & sharp has started in 9 of them including 4 of last 8. if that's not 1st choice not entirely what is
He’s started 10 games this season. But he is first choice? Nearly half of his starts have been in the last 8. He has had more sub appearances than anyone in our entire squad.

You destroyed your own argument.

Did you do history at school? If so, what does history tell you/us about CWAK during their 4 seasons here? You think you’re depressed? Should have seen me before CWAK! Year after year of selling the Crown Jewels for the equivalent of a packet of broken biscuits from the sheaf market. The self proclaimed “You’ll -never -meet -a -bigger -blade - than -me flannelling twat, with a golden smile that would put a politician to shame, even did a buy one - get one free for Tottenham with Naughton and Walker! Beattie was sold to a team desperate to stay up, but we sold him for what we paid for him to buy a frecking hotel, thus gaining Stoke another £60m by keeping them up, and at the same time kicking us in the goolies big time by sabotaging our bid to get to the promised land! If CWAK sell anybody, rest assured we will get top £ and replacements lined up before they go. This is a great time to be alive. Up with rejoicing. Down with self harming. There is a famous saying “Only in America” when total silly bollocks happened. It’s now been sacked for “Only in S2”.

He’s started 10 games this season. But he is first choice? Nearly half of his starts have been in the last 8. He has had more sub appearances than anyone in our entire squad.

You destroyed your own argument.

you've destroyed a argument of your own making. youve taken the goalposts, moved them & declared victory. at what point did i said he was 1st choice all season im not talking oct & nov said towards the end of the season. for the reason i mentioned since arsenal at emirates. he has been in 1st choice in 9 of last 14 games.

Man City H
Crystal Palace A
Bournemouth H
Brighton A
Norwich H
Villa A
Newcastle A
Wolves H
Southampton A

My thoughts are what will Chelsea do - they've already brought in Werner and are looking at Havertz, both of whom are better than what they have already, so could we loan one of Batshuayi or Abraham?

My thoughts are what will Chelsea do - they've already brought in Werner and are looking at Havertz, both of whom are better than what they have already, so could we loan one of Batshuayi or Abraham?

Abraham with McBurnie would be quality for us.

you've destroyed a argument of your own making. youve taken the goalposts, moved them & declared victory. at what point did i said he was 1st choice all season im not talking oct & nov said towards the end of the season. for the reason i mentioned since arsenal at emirates. he has been in 1st choice in 9 of last 14 games.

Man City H
Crystal Palace A
Bournemouth H
Brighton A
Norwich H
Villa A
Newcastle A
Wolves H
Southampton A
Post 49 is where it goes wrong for you. Is he a sub or a starter you’ve said 2 different things ?

Crazy some of the posts on here after the season we have had. We are 9th in the prem for A very good reason. We are a very good side!

9 of our 14 wins were by one goal and most could have gone the other way, We are a very good side with a desperate need for a clinical strike force.

:p Liking the thread title, although you could've named it : "Stating the fucking obvious", that's also got a ring to it....;)

Back
Top Bottom