Our strikeforce and squad depth not good enough

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Reaction score
Having watched that performance today clear as day it highlights the difference in quality had we had Ings or Adams up top for us would have 2 or 3-0 to us in the first half.

2nd half today absolutely abysmal no quality at all Sharp missed 2 quality chances in the game that you have to take at this level.

And i am sorry to say unless we invest in at least 2 quality strikers we are going to be fighting a relegation battle next season

Because the last 3 games especially have been absolutely awful to say the least we have looked more like a relegation threatened team than 1 in the top 10 of the premier league.

The squad depth as a whole is poor to say the least we had no one at all to come on and help us change things around and give us a chance before the penalty of at least getting a draw.

Another awful performance in the 2nd half and lack of quality up front has cost us again we should have been 2 or 3 up in that first half and that is the incredibly frustrating part about it because we constantly throw games away.

It is going to be interesting to see who CW brings in over the coming weeks.

Overall we have had a great season but the last 3 games has shown that if we do not invest in a better quality of players next season we are going to struggle.

as much as I want defend sharp, as he is a legend. but if he still our 1st or 2nd choice striker it would fill me with dread. because i feel we lost that today from the strikers not as any striker has to bury them 2 chances. Southampton won today because they did& ive no idea how he's going to do it on budget but we probably need 2 new strikers next season & or need mousset to get that oct/nov form for 30/35 games

• Banned
This is what was expected of this side by those ITK last August...

Same old that was then this is now i dont care for the past.

Same as CW he does not care for the past and rightly so he isn't happy to simply settle and just say well we never expected to be where we have finished in 9th.

We threw it away lack of quality up front the squad depth and shocking decisions going against have cost us dearly.

I just hope and pray the Prince backs CW over the summer because I am fearful that if we don't invest accordingly in some quality players we could end up in a relegation battle.

• Banned
as much as I want defend sharp, as he is a legend. but if he still our 1st or 2nd choice striker it would fill me with dread. because i feel we lost that today from the strikers not as any striker has to bury them 2 chances. Southampton won today because they did& ive no idea how he's going to do it on budget but we probably need 2 new strikers next season & or need mousset to get that oct/nov form for 30/35 games

Billy has been a legend for us no doubt about it but the sad fact is he just isn't at the level we need to compete in this league.

The 2 chances he missed today you have to bury them every day of the week at this level.

I have said it before and I will say it again and I am not just saying it because he got 2 goals today i think Che Adams would be brilliant in our side and with Southamptons financial worries If I was Wilder i would go in for him this summer.

• Banned
Crazy some of the posts on here after the season we have had. We are 9th in the prem for A very good reason. We are a very good side!

How is it crazy how can you defend the last 3 games they have been absolutely awful.

And the lack of quality has stood out a mile in the last few games especially.

Antonb isn't that a given, we all think that we have had a brilliant season it goes without saying i thought 16th so top 10 is beyond anything we could imagine. but like roy keane & ask steve Mcclaren about Sir Alex. we are thinking about next season & how do we repeat this

Same old that was then this is now i dont care for the past.

Same as CW he does not care for the past and rightly so he isn't happy to simply settle and just say well we never expected to be where we have finished in 9th.

We threw it away lack of quality up front the squad depth and shocking decisions going against have cost us dearly.

I just hope and pray the Prince backs CW over the summer because I am fearful that if we don't invest accordingly in some quality players we could end up in a relegation battle.

Does your definition of "the past" include those 3 recent home wins over Spurs, Chelsea and Wolves?

We're all aware that the squad lacks depth and to that extent we've been lucky with injuries. I don't think that is news to anyone.

One of the reasons for the fizzle-out, apart from the change in momentum of the enforced break, is that players run out of steam late in the season. When there's nothing much to play for as well in an empty ground, how can you expect the same intensity?

So, yes, we need some new players and we all expect those to be upgrades. Has there ever been a season start where we've had no new signings?

Does your definition of "the past" include those 3 recent home wins over Spurs, Chelsea and Wolves?

We're all aware that the squad lacks depth and to that extent we've been lucky with injuries. I don't think that is news to anyone.

One of the reasons for the fizzle-out, apart from the change in momentum of the enforced break, is that players run out of steam late in the season. When there's nothing much to play for as well in an empty ground, how can you expect the same intensity?

So, yes, we need some new players and we all expect those to be upgrades. Has there ever been a season start where we've had no new signings?

What is the point in beating Spurs Chelsea and Wolves then playing like Norwich against a 2nd string Leicester defence a piss poor Everton team that were absolutely awful.

1st half we should have been 2 or 3 up but the awful finishing cost us dearly 2nd half we just capitulated simply not good enough.

I can take losing but I cant take absolute capitulation and no fight from the team as we have seen in the last 3 games and that is what has really pissed me off.

What is the point in beating Spurs Chelsea and Wolves then playing like Norwich against a 2nd string Leicester defence a piss poor Everton team that were absolutely awful.

1st half we should have been 2 or 3 up but the awful finishing cost us dearly 2nd half we just capitulated simply not good enough.

I can take losing but I cant take absolute capitulation and no fight from the team as we have seen in the last 3 games and that is what has really pissed me off.

No I understand. You think a football team should be able to play brilliantly in every match. I get it.

Well, go somewhere else then and stop your pissing and whingeing - your sixty posts a year average doesn’t exactly show you up as an expert

I just hope and pray the Prince backs CW over the summer because I am fearful that if we don't invest accordingly in some quality players we could end up in a relegation.
Define back him? If you are meaning with significant funds where do you thinks it’s going to come from?

9th was last season now. We need to look ahead to September and how we can be more creative in front of goal, weather that be systematically or personell.

We also need to ensure our post lockdown defensive frailties are sorted, even with those terrible defensive performances only Liverpool, Man City & Man Utd outdid us in that area.

Having watched that performance today clear as day it highlights the difference in quality had we had Ings or Adams up top for us would have 2 or 3-0 to us in the first half.

2nd half today absolutely abysmal no quality at all Sharp missed 2 quality chances in the game that you have to take at this level.

And i am sorry to say unless we invest in at least 2 quality strikers we are going to be fighting a relegation battle next season

Because the last 3 games especially have been absolutely awful to say the least we have looked more like a relegation threatened team than 1 in the top 10 of the premier league.

The squad depth as a whole is poor to say the least we had no one at all to come on and help us change things around and give us a chance before the penalty of at least getting a draw.

Another awful performance in the 2nd half and lack of quality up front has cost us again we should have been 2 or 3 up in that first half and that is the incredibly frustrating part about it because we constantly throw games away.

It is going to be interesting to see who CW brings in over the coming weeks.

Overall we have had a great season but the last 3 games has shown that if we do not invest in a better quality of players next season we are going to struggle.
CW knows this + keeps telling anyone who will listen

I’m seriously worried for next season. Since coming back we’ve had a few great results but in the overall picture we look a really bang average side. 4/5 first teamers just don’t cut it for me and the depth is seriously shocking. If the budget is very low this summer then god help us as we need to bring in atleast 8 players and 5/6 of them have to first team standard.

Some harsh responses to the OP I feel.

I’m sure we all agree that we’ve had an excellent season but that doesn’t mean we can’t analyse on a game by game basis.
I mentioned after Leicester that our away results and lack of goals away from home is causing concern and yesterday did nothing to change that.

I agree with the OP that the 2nd half was atrocious. Now whether that was caused by tiredness, switching off, bad decisions is debatable but 100% wasn’t good enough and I’m not sure how anyone can defend that.

This season has been fantastic and I’m proud of the group of players and staff but it’s tinged with dissapointment on how it’s ended .

3 weeks or so off now to rest and Wilder needs to get them regrouped with 3-4 additions and go again.

I’ve every confidence in him to do that

But he isn’t our first choice striker. Everyone moaning about the strike force today. Mcburnie went off with a knock. Didzyand Mousset both not available. You take away Liverpool front 3 it’s a whole new game for them.

From the money we don't spend on ground improvements.
Touché, but are you saying then that you would take a loan (as you most certainly would for ground improvements given the interest rates) to buy players?
Sounds like just the sort of thing Leeds, Portsmouth or Bolton would have done a decade or two ago and was a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: CW7
Can't believe we lost in a game that didn't matter while playing players that are clearly not first choice. Shocking stuff. 38 games to play next season and we're already down.

Just going through the motions of post defeat outrage. It’s an essential part of the football experience for some people. They’ve had a lot of it pent up over the past 4 years so when they see an opportunity they really want to go to town with it. I don’t understand it personally but each to their own. Like the people who start beeping their horns in a traffic jam.

It’s an end of season dead rubber with a squad that has exceeded all expectations but has run out of steam playing in unusual conditions. There is a transfer window between now and September to strengthen.

We all know we need to improve the squad. But as Chris Wilder said improving the squad doesn’t necessarily mean improving our league position. I’m all for being ambitious but some people on here need to be realistic. We massively over achieved this season, the problem is now people think we should push on and be challenging for the top 6! Absolute madness and I can see much more bed wetting next season!

Crazy some of the posts on here after the season we have had. We are 9th in the prem for A very good reason. We are a very good side!
No we are not very good.
We have had a fabulous season with hardly any injuries or suspensions.
As the OP said we are not strong enough in depth and do need at least one quality striker

Back
Top Bottom