Ollie Watkins

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think although they, ve had great recruitment they got lucky with maupay, toney and Watkins all being great successes for them, to find a 4th gem on the trot will be very difficult

I think although they, ve had great recruitment they got lucky with maupay, toney and Watkins all being great successes for them, to find a 4th gem on the trot will be very difficult
Maupay was a good find for them first time around.

Toney and Watkins were very obvious from when the former was at Peterborough and the latter at Exeter.

At one point I’m sure I read we considered Toney but we went for someone else. Maybe Brewster.

They didn't "get lucky" with "obvious signings" three times in a row.

They're a small club punching well above their weight and a lot of that has been down to buying low, selling high and investing in the right areas on and off the field.

They've built a sustainable model (by football standards) on modest resources (by football standards).
We've had some good times in recent years but didn't capitalise and now have very little legacy from them either.

Maupay was a good find for them first time around.

Toney and Watkins were very obvious from when the former was at Peterborough and the latter at Exeter.

At one point I’m sure I read we considered Toney but we went for someone else. Maybe Brewster.

We probably were, but I guess someone on the forum posted something like "not proven in Championship" and Wilder read it then moved on :)

We probably were, but I guess someone on the forum posted something like "not proven in Championship" and Wilder read it then moved on :)
I recall we thought the Posh were asking too much for Toney and we didn't have the balls to stump up - just add it to the tally of our misjudgments over recent years.

I recall we thought the Posh were asking too much for Toney and we didn't have the balls to stump up - just add it to the tally of our misjudgments over recent years.
I don't think Wilder was interested. He managed him at Northampton. Toney was a Newcastle player when Wilder became our manager. Toney joined Peterborough in 2018.

I don't think Wilder was interested. He managed him at Northampton. Toney was a Newcastle player when Wilder became our manager. Toney joined Peterborough in 2018.
I reckon Brentford made a good investment when they bought him from the Posh - a better investment than many we've made.

I reckon Brentford made a good investment when they bought him from the Posh - a better investment than many we've made.
Brentford took the risk, did well but had a lengthy ban, came back but was dropped from the team recently. Likely to move away from Brentford this summer. I think he is a good player but I don't remember Wilder trying to sign him when he was out of favour at Newcastle.

Just guessing but he may have been a disruptive character in his early days,always on loan and never got a sniff at Newcastle seemed always on loan.so
Peterborough turned him into a player and gone on to do great things,! . His penalties are quite something just waits for the goalie to move and slots it in so relaxed and confident.

Just guessing but he may have been a disruptive character in his early days,always on loan and never got a sniff at Newcastle seemed always on loan.
I think Wilder thought the same when he managed him at Northampton. Saw Roney arguing with a Brentford team mate after their last away game. Could be why he was an unused sub last Saturday?

Just guessing but he may have been a disruptive character in his early days,always on loan and never got a sniff at Newcastle seemed always on loan.so
Peterborough turned him into a player and gone on to do great things,! . His penalties are quite something just waits for the goalie to move and slots it in so relaxed and confident.
You have to have confidence or even be a bit cocky as a striker - remember Steve Kabba ? Ndiaye ?
Toney has that , I was praying we'd be in for him when the Bees got him from the Posh.
Let's hope we can get some players with "bottle" this summer - it's a long time since we've brought any in , on a permanent contract.
We'll continue to slide if we don't.

I think Wilder thought the same when he managed him at Northampton. Saw Roney arguing with a Brentford team mate after their last away game. Could be why he was an unused sub last Saturday?

But didn't we like the bottle shown by JLT when losing his temper with a teammate recently ?
As a pro footballer you've got to show if you're a man or a mouse.
Our squad lacks mental toughness - we need to ship out the mice and get some men in.
Do you think that Vinnie Jones or Chris Morgan or Michael Brown would have tolerated some of the capitulations we've witnessed this season ?
Wilder has his work cut out this summer trying to bring in to a club steeped in failure those who will have pride in the shirt in the new campaign.

But didn't we like the bottle shown by JLT when losing his temper with a teammate recently ?
As a pro footballer you've got to show if you're a man or a mouse.
Our squad lacks mental toughness - we need to ship out the mice and get some men in.
Do you think that Vinnie Jones or Chris Morgan or Michael Brown would have tolerated some of the capitulations we've witnessed this season ?
Wilder has his work cut out this summer trying to bring in to a club steeped in failure those who will have pride in the shirt in the new campaign.
You dont know what the arguments were about!

So what ?
I'm making a point about the personality of the current playing squad.
Bobby Robson wrote in his autobiography that he had never forgotten a very good piece of advice from Arsenal's manager, Bertie Mee which was "if a player, no matter how good he is, becomes disruptive in the dressing room, then get rid of him as soon as you can".

Bobby Robson had a lot of success as a manager and from reading your posts you are always full of opinions without knowing the facts and make up stories like when you said we couldnt afford the fee Peterborough wanted for Toney. This is probably rubbish as I have not read reports that Wilder wanted him to sign for us. It is just all in your head! Toney did look good for Northampton when I saw his goals on tv. When Wilder came to us I thought he might persuade Newcastle to loan Toney to us but it seems that he has not done so. Maybe Wilder thought Toney was a disruptive character?

Bobby Robson wrote in his autobiography that he had never forgotten a very good piece of advice from Arsenal's manager, Bertie Mee which was "if a player, no matter how good he is, becomes disruptive in the dressing room, then get rid of him as soon as you can".

Bobby Robson had a lot of success as a manager and from reading your posts you are always full of opinions without knowing the facts and make up stories like when you said we couldnt afford the fee Peterborough wanted for Toney. This is probably rubbish as I have not read reports that Wilder wanted him to sign for us. It is just all in your head! Toney did look good for Northampton when I saw his goals on tv. When Wilder came to us I thought he might persuade Newcastle to loan Toney to us but it seems that he has not done so. Maybe Wilder thought Toney was a disruptive character?

I was surprised we were never in for Toney, especially given the link with Wilder. I assumed at the time it was because CW didn't want him for some reason, and so the recent news about Toney hasn't surprised me.

I recall us being linked with Toney before Brentford signed him but maybe it was paper talk - if Wilder chose against him , we missed out on a lot of goals and probably a nice profit.
Contrast that with the decision to overpay for Brewster. Anyway that's water under the bridge.

Back
Top Bottom