Ollie Watkins

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes, and these two are oft quoted as to how we get it wrong.

Glad Wilder taught you a lesson, fair play on Watkins although I do think selling him (even for crazy money) stops you getting promoted next season.

Aston Villa are a set of complete mentalists! 33 million on a player who has not played top flight football, the world has gone truly mad.
I hope the feckers get relegated. They broke the rules to get promoted, Shit tech kept them up and they think spunkin moneh is a clever approach. it just sums up modern football.

Biggest bottlers in football
"Currently".
They had the best form in the league post lockdown. Clawed WBA back until promotion was in their own hands, then decided to lose at home to the Dingles 😂

another set of bottlers will come along this season for sure. But the current holders of the trophy are Brentford. Leeds and Derby battled for it between themselves for years

We were one goal away from promotion last season. You can't say it doesn't work.

Some of our fans have given you and your club stick but what a great time to be a Brentford fan.
Your club is admired by so many neutrals and have made incredible progress......a great example to so many clubs.

The facts that Brentford are always mentioned amongst the favourites for promotion to the PL just shows the current standing of your club.
Brentford fans can hardly be classed as glory hunters and there’s so many glamorous clubs on their doorstep....excluding QPR.
So all `Brentford fans earn plenty of respect from me.....besides you play in the famous red and white stripes/ black shirts....so,you can’t be that bad.

Some of our fans have given you and your club stick but what a great time to be a Brentford fan.
Your club is admired by so many neutrals and have made incredible progress......a great example to so many clubs.

The facts that Brentford are always mentioned amongst the favourites for promotion to the PL just shows the current standing of your club.
Brentford fans can hardly be classed as glory hunters and there’s so many glamorous clubs on their doorstep....excluding QPR.
So all `Brentford fans earn plenty of respect from me.....besides you play in the famous red and white stripes/ black shirts....so,you can’t be that bad.
And they had swords on their old badge and their new badge looks heavily influenced by ours

I would have thought he was a gamble at half that price. Still, Dean Smith is playing with the houses money, so he can roll the dice to try to save his jon.

Crazy fee.
Every time I’ve seen him play I haven’t been that impressed. Don’t think he’s anywhere near as good as Maupay!!

Brentford got Toney...actually think he’s a better player.

We were one goal away from promotion last season. You can't say it doesn't work.
....it didn't work. You did not get promoted. You had a golden chance and blew it. That's Football. You might not get that chance for a long time again.
In 2007 United were one goal away from staying in the Prem...and only 12 years later we were back!

Brentford have done some fantastic business and the model works as a business but unless they get success on the pitch it's all a bit of a waste of time.

Success is not nearly going up. Maybe one of these days they'll get up and stop selling players but for now all the money in the world is great bit as I fan I'd want glory/magical moments.

Like with Bournemouth the lack of fans and club size will always hold them back. The new ground looks appalling in its design and one of the worst I have seen of new grounds. Also the capacity is still really small. Not sure how they grow to more fans. Even clubs like Fulham and QPR have bigger fanbases.

All a bit ironic despite some fantastic deals that they sold us Egan and O'Connell for less than 5 mill combined and we could probably get 30 mill a piece for them both now maybe more.

As others have said all the back slapping on a great business model only washes for so long. Ultimately Football for fans is about winning not just about about balancing books. Granted sometimes the latter can help the former of course.

I don't understand why you've got such a chip on your shoulder about Brentford Deadbat? They're punching well above their weight at the moment but the way they're doing it suggests they're putting the foundations in place to raise their base. You ask how they grow more fans - same as us. Success on the pitch. They've gone from being solidly third tier for most of my lifetime (I'm 36) to the verge of the top tier.

Having a pop about the new stadium is a bit odd too - it's easy to be misty-eyed about Griffin Park but the bottom line is that it was outdated and undersized. They've added nearly 50% to their capacity at 17,250 with the scope to go to 25k should demand be there which is a much better approach than building a huge new stadium and not getting close to filling it. Brentford might only have gone from having the 2nd smallest stadium in the Championship last season (only Kenilworth Road was smaller) to the 5th smallest (admittedly, promotions & relegations helped that - they're now ahead of Wycombe (10k), Luton (10k), Bournemouth (11k), Rotherham (12k)). The BCS is just behind QPR (18k), Millwall (20k) and Watford (22k), all of whom are similarly sized London-area clubs so it's a realistically sized ground for them.

They'll reinvest 25% of the Watkins proceeds in other forward, probably from the French second tier. Bit like signing Mbuemo from Troyes for €7m after selling Maupay for £20m.

....it didn't work. You did not get promoted. You had a golden chance and blew it. That's Football. You might not get that chance for a long time again.
Leeds blew it big time in 2018/19. They regrouped and got promoted at an absolute canter last season. You look at the Championship this season - the other three best sides last season came up and those relegated from the Premier League aren't great: Watford are forever in transition; Bournemouth are selling everything not nailed down and Norwich got found out big time once Pukki's goals dried up.

Soton signed Ings for £20m one year ago. High expectations for Watkins here!

Total of 250 Million over 2 seasons or summat, Well this season hasnt even started.

44 million on Watkins and Cash - Jesus fucking wept

Agree..it’s obscene really.

The whole point of buying players from down in the Championship was they are usually cut price.
The reason is because anyone who has never played at any level anywhere near PL standard is a big risk.
Theres a big difference between the PL and Championship and some players struggle to make the step up.

Scored on his debut yesterday against Newton Heath

Back
Top Bottom