CONFIRMED Oliver Arblaster signs a new contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think Tufty has been quite shrewd here. If Ollie were to continue playing excellently for Vale - even after his injury - then no doubt one or two big boys would have tried to tempt him this summer. They still might of course, but now we can get him fit and slowly introduce him into a higher level of football I reckon we've got more chance of him going under the radar a bit and signing a new contract. Here's hoping!!
Under the radar - someone not told Chelsea or Liverpool then ?

I welcome Arblaster back into the first team reckoning. As a player type he'll be after Norwood's role in the team. They share some of the same attributes, but Arblaster is a more modern player. Despite not being a exceptional athlete, he'll be better than Norwood in shielding the ball, making space for himself and advancing with the ball. While Norwood is a static playmaker, good at making himself available and having the vision and composure to distribute, rather than getting dispossessed, Arblaster can get on the ball, invite the pressure, but still get away or even skip past a challenge, and then set the team up for an attack.

I noticed Wilder spoke positively about Tom Davies, and in my mind we need to make room for Arblaster to get a proper chance in the team. So I'd try to get rid of Norwood and Fleck in January, and let Arblaster compete with Souza, Hamer, Davies, Brooks and Slimane for the spots in central midfield. If we're going to bring in one more central midfielder it would have to be one with genuine, proven quality, or someone who we think could be a real future asset.

I welcome Arblaster back into the first team reckoning. As a player type he'll be after Norwood's role in the team. They share some of the same attributes, but Arblaster is a more modern player. Despite not being a exceptional athlete, he'll be better than Norwood in shielding the ball, making space for himself and advancing with the ball. While Norwood is a static playmaker, good at making himself available and having the vision and composure to distribute, rather than getting dispossessed, Arblaster can get on the ball, invite the pressure, but still get away or even skip past a challenge, and then set the team up for an attack.

I noticed Wilder spoke positively about Tom Davies, and in my mind we need to make room for Arblaster to get a proper chance in the team. So I'd try to get rid of Norwood and Fleck in January, and let Arblaster compete with Souza, Hamer, Davies, Brooks and Slimane for the spots in central midfield. If we're going to bring in one more central midfielder it would have to be one with genuine, proven quality, or someone who we think could be a real future asset.
Arblaster doesnt need a place freeing up for him in our 25 man squad. Like Brooks and Osula, they are Academy products

Arblaster doesnt need a place freeing up for him in our 25 man squad. Like Brooks and Osula, they are Academy products
I know, but I think it's sometimes required to let some of the "experienced" competition go, for a younger player to really take on the responsibility of improving the first team.

Just watched him walking at PV. He doesn’t look to be ready for playing in January

Looks like we have signed another young lad! Sam Curtis 18 year Irish kid highly rated and chased by a number of big clubs.just 18 and already a regular 1st team Player in ireland.
Keith Andrews new coach seems to have had influence with this one.
Another player to add to a growing young group of players.
Can see what the plan is and it may mean we need to go down to reset as the prem is too powerful to build a really young team.

Think we’ll see Arblaster on the bench initially by end of January. If he’s half as good as people are saying, he’ll be sold for a few quid in a couple of years - part of our wonderful self sustainable business model.

Is this the same guy who was letting David Brooks go to League 2?

Yep. That’s him, until he was alerted to his recent performances and then abruptly pulled the deal pissing people off. A good decision as it turned out. Sometimes you see em and sometimes you don’t. My guess is if Arblaster recovers and plays the last 10 games, you will see what our midfield has been missing. If not, call me every name you want. At least we’ve had a go.

If not, call me every name you want.
I think Arblaster would be a good addition to the squad whether it would be ideal for him is a different matter, looks like we're going to try it anyway. I hope Wilder is right but he's probably had his hand forced given at least 3 of the registered squad are worse options than Arblaster.

Think we’ll see Arblaster on the bench initially by end of January. If he’s half as good as people are saying, he’ll be sold for a few quid in a couple of years - part of our wonderful self sustainable business model.
Who was the last player we “sold for a few quid in a couple of years”? Ramsdale?

With noting that he’s cup-tied, so if we somehow got past Gillingham, he wouldn’t be able to play.

Thanks Bergen. At the risk of being incredibly narrow with player comparisons, based on what you’ve said it sounds like Blaster is a bit more like a Paul Coutts in how the play goes through him? I’ve not seen enough of him to comment so welcome any info.

Thanks Bergen. At the risk of being incredibly narrow with player comparisons, based on what you’ve said it sounds like Blaster is a bit more like a Paul Coutts in how the play goes through him? I’ve not seen enough of him to comment so welcome any info.
If he's that good, what's he doing at Vale when we've got Norwood?

Yes, though Coutts was a slightly bigger, stronger player type, Arblaster achieves similar things by being clever and skilful. I haven't seen him much at Port Vale, so look forward to seeing how he's developed the past six months.

Notice Vale fans with the "Tony Agana" chant to Oi! Love that chant due to Agana! Looking forward to seeing Arblaster playing for us but he's not walking well there, would imagine it could be at least a month till he's back playing.

Notice Vale fans with the "Tony Agana" chant to Oi! Love that chant due to Agana! Looking forward to seeing Arblaster playing for us but he's not walking well there, would imagine it could be at least a month till he's back playing.
Well I have not seen him play but by the comments he his getting we might have a gem on our hands here .Things don't look good regarding avoiding relegation and I feel we need a clear out and a rebuild in midfield and having the likes of Brooks and Arblaster coming knocking on the door of the first team squad we could salvage something from this dreadful season ready for next year . Out with the old in with the new , might take a season for them to get to grips with things but I feel well worth the wait and a lot cheaper to . Thank God we have such a brilliant academy long may it continue . Just hope we get the chance to see them come good before we cash in on them ,Get them on a decent contract to protect our young assets before we get robbed by the big guns trying to nick them for nowt .

Maybe with one or two going to AFCON (Slimane) him being a free spot in the squad frees up options to spend some dosh in other areas we are vulnerable- in other words defence.

Clearly Souza has benefitted from Wilder coming in, and I doubt we would look to move out Hamer who has been our most creative outlet.

But as a squad option is he going to offer more than Fleck/Norwood/Ozzy? Hard to say, experience is important at this level as well, but we have seen a bit of Peck and Brooks a little more so maybe it’s a chance for him to gain some game time at premier league level.

Couple of important notes- he needs tying down to a long contract, and so has also perhaps earned a pay rise. Needs sorting as a priority.
Injury wise he’s seen with a brace on his knee….looks bad, but in reality may just be a case of limiting movement in the stitched up knee to ensure he isn’t able to hamper recovery in any way.
A month was mentioned, so hopefully he may be up and running in a couple of weeks, then fit to play again by February.

Can add Osula to that list too.

Danish u21.
Scored a few for Derby, everybody wanted him back. Never scored for United.

Just to confirm, I think Arblaster, Jebbison and Osula are all fantastic talents and prospects. It's just people need to understand the levels here.
Burton, Derby and Port Vale good, isn't PL, good.

"YET"

Can add Osula to that list too.

Danish u21.
Scored a few for Derby, everybody wanted him back. Never scored for United.

Just to confirm, I think Arblaster, Jebbison and Osula are all fantastic talents and prospects. It's just people need to understand the levels here.
Burton, Derby and Port Vale good, isn't PL, good.

"YET"
The difference being that Jebbo & Osula spent time on the bench & looked OK in L1. Arblaster rapidly forced his way into Vale’s starting 11 and has looked too good for L1, certainly one of the best players in that division at 19.

Possibly not quite PL ready yet, but we won’t know until he plays in it.

The difference being that Jebbo & Osula spent time on the bench & looked OK in L1. Arblaster rapidly forced his way into Vale’s starting 11 and has looked too good for L1, certainly one of the best players in that division at 19.

Possibly not quite PL ready yet, but we won’t know until he plays in it.
I think we are forgetting how much of a lower level league one is because we rose up to 9th rapidly. That was freakish. Even Harry Maguire took a while to get into the Hull side in the championship after leaving us and it was only a loan to Wigan that got him game time eventually

Back
Top Bottom