Which young player will emerge this season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Lightsoot

Reaction score
As we’re down to the bare bones, both in terms of squad numbers and injuries, it represents a great chance for our young players to emerge and take their opportunity.

But who will it be, and what contribution are they likely to make?

It’s up to you, but personally I’m not going to include our new younger signings in this list as they were already established at their clubs, we’ve paid sizeable fees for them so I’m hoping they will make an impact anyway!

I’m more talking about players who are in the early stages of their pro careers who are yet to make a breakthrough with United. Given our gaps at the moment, it seems more likely that our young midfielders or forwards will get their chance first to impress.

Some contenders:
  • Harrison Neal
  • Andre Brooks
  • Frankie Maguire
  • Antwoine Hackford
  • Daniel Jebbison (if he stays and when he’s fit!)
  • Will Osula
  • Sydie Peck (currently injured?)
  • Louie Marsh (post updated, I’d missed him off!)
  • Sai Sachdev
  • Miguel Freckleton

My tip is Frankie Maguire. Talented lad who was showing promising signs until suffering an injury setback which halted his progress. Looks to have trickery and guile, plus a much-needed eye for goal as an attacking midfielder which is something we currently lack.

He’s excelled at national league north level, obviously the Premier League is going to be a massive step up. But if Maguire gets minutes between now and the transfer window closing, he might just surprise a few and grab his chance.

Would be interested in everyone else’s picks.

Last edited:

What about Arblaster at Vale? I can see him emerging in league 1
Agreed, but I’m more referring to which player might emerge playing for us this season.

But good shout on Arblaster. Hindsight is wonderful, but I wonder if we’d have still let him out on loan now given our current predicament. Had we not, he could have been pushing to start on Saturday, or at least on the bench.

Marsh might be the obvious pick for some, but I’m reserving judgement after seeing him play the opening half vs Chesterfield. I thought he looked off the pace initially, but may have done him a disservice as I read Bergen Blade ’s analysis of him afterwards.

I find it hard to judge Marsh because he’s not been out on loan, even at national league level or below. Whereas Maguire has been and done well, hence I think he might contribute more for us this season if he gets a chance.

Don’t know much about any of them really but hope someone does, maybe Brewster!!

Jebbison.

Osula, Brooks, Marsh, will all make a break through at some point this season and get a run of games. Sachdev is a very good player but may have to wait till next season unless there is quite a few injuries.

I’ve not given up on Hackford just yet, he’s had a terrible couple of years with serious injuries. But he’s back looking fit so hopefully the last two years have not stopped his natural progression and he can still fulfil that promise he showed.

As we’re down to the bare bones, both in terms of squad numbers and injuries, it represents a great chance for our young players to emerge and take their opportunity.

But who will it be, and what contribution are they likely to make?

It’s up to you, but personally I’m not going to include our new younger signings in this list as they were already established at their clubs, we’ve paid sizeable fees for them so I’m hoping they will make an impact anyway!

I’m more talking about players who are in the early stages of their pro careers who are yet to make a breakthrough with United. Given our gaps at the moment, it seems more likely that our young midfielders or forwards will get their chance first to impress.

Some contenders:
  • Harrison Neal
  • Andre Brooks
  • Frankie Maguire
  • Antwoine Hackford
  • Daniel Jebbison (if he stays and when he’s fit!)
  • Will Osula
  • Sydie Peck (currently injured?)
  • Louie Marsh (post updated, I’d missed him off!)
  • Sai Sachdev
  • Miguel Freckleton

My tip is Frankie Maguire. Talented lad who was showing promising signs until suffering an injury setback which halted his progress. Looks to have trickery and guile, plus a much-needed eye for goal as an attacking midfielder which is something we currently lack.

He’s excelled at national league north level, obviously the Premier League is going to be a massive step up. But if Maguire gets minutes between now and the transfer window closing, he might just surprise a few and grab his chance.

Would be interested in everyone else’s picks.
LOUIE MARSH 100% ⚔️

Despite him fluffing his chances pre-season, I have always thought that Osula will come good, ahead of Jebbo.

In the youth team, him and Marsh were scoring for fun, including a few back-to-back games where Osula scored hat tricks (from memory).

He has the height, strength and pace already, just needs a bit of composure (as he showed at youth level) and maybe a bit of good luck.

I'd say Brooks and Osula would be the most likely bets for me, around the first team squad (not necessarily starting) last season and I expect them to be there this season as well.

If I had to pick another one I'd go for Sachdev but that depends on the fitness of Baldock and Bogle as at the moment he is our third choice RWB for me.

Despite him fluffing his chances pre-season, I have always thought that Osula will come good, ahead of Jebbo.

In the youth team, him and Marsh were scoring for fun, including a few back-to-back games where Osula scored hat tricks (from memory).

He has the height, strength and pace already, just needs a bit of composure (as he showed at youth level) and maybe a bit of good luck.
Philliskirk and Mendonca used to score for fun in the youth teams.

Nuff said.

Midfield seems to be the priority for recruitment, so unless we get loads of injuries as the season progresses I suspect we won't see much of the likes of Brooks or Peck.

But unless we get some bodies upfront too, I would be amazed of Marsh doesn't get some game time.

Great crop of youngsters we've got...Marsh is my pick,but Osula is probably most likely to get his chance in the first few games with being short of numbers,although I personally would have Jebbo ahead of him but might be sold and often injured..i like Freckleton from what I've seen, and Sachdev..Brooks impressed last time out..don't know much about Maguire.

Agreed, but I’m more referring to which player might emerge playing for us this season.

But good shout on Arblaster. Hindsight is wonderful, but I wonder if we’d have still let him out on loan now given our current predicament. Had we not, he could have been pushing to start on Saturday, or at least on the bench.
Hecky said on Radio Sheff a while ago that had he known that he was going to lose Fleck and N’Diaye he would probably have not let Blaster out on loan….that’s before Berge left for Burnley. Hindsight really is a wonderful thing.

None. They'll all crumble under the dire pressure of it all. And no one could blame them. We'll be scrapping in the stands before September is up.

I think we're going to end up relying too heavily on young players this season which isn't a recipe for success (ours or theirs).

I think Osula is still too raw to have a consistent impact at such a high level but may provide some fun moments.

I haven't taken to Larouci on what I've seen and I'm not sure Slimane or Traore have the physical attributes to be a great success in their first season in the PL.

Jebbison and Brooks are the most ready physically and, as things stand, both could be called upon quite a bit. I have pretty high hopes for both players.

Osula - should get minutes versus Palace and Forest. 1 goal away from it all clicking and us having our wildcard impact striker sub for the season nailed.

Right now the most sensible bets are the two young strikers and Sachdev they’re either likely going to start or just one injury or suspension away from starting

Neal has put both Norwwod and Osbourne to shame in pre-season, but won't start in front of these two in midfield. Probably only may get a chance if they suffer injuries.

Unless we sign a left midfielder, my money would be on Brooks. Traore is only 20 as well, so could be on the list as well (although that answer may be a cop out given we've just forked out good money for him).

Excluding the new signings....none. Maybe Freckleton, but I can't see Hecky giving him the nod if Egan gets injured or suspended. He'd just move players around and recall Bash or Robinson.

I think Osula and Jebbo will see a lot of minutes until McBurnie and Brewster return, but after that they'll be on the bench all the time unless they get off to a blinder and score a couple of goals. They won't be starting and getting minutes because they're so good. They'll be starting and getting minutes because other than Traore we have no one else.

Last edited:
I think it could be Andre Brooks. It's always special when you see a youth player make the grade. Always remember when Ginger Quinn appeared out of nowhere (although had played for MK Mongs) straight into the 1st team.

Unless we sign a left midfielder, my money would be on Brooks. Traore is only 20 as well, so could be on the list as well (although that answer may be a cop out given we've just forked out good money for him).
Unless Osbourne gets injured, this won't happen in my opinion, no matter how bad Osbourne is likely to be in midfield?

Only really seen Brooks this pre-season and he han't impressed me at all. Seems to be trying too hard and going for the holywood rather than football decision i..e trying to score a worldy when he has better options.

Harrison Neal is my guess. I could easily see him playing instead of Norwood if/when we have experience around him.

Back
Top Bottom