CONFIRMED Oliver Arblaster signs a new contract

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Genuinely still baffled as to what the hell your babbling on about just going by my post but I will reply to this part only

Fed up of the McCabe era of selling things off on the cheap as you allude

At no point have I alluded to anything of the sort, I have not mentioned a price or selling cheap, nothing whatsoever even close. You have gone on a rant over one single sentence, just one, this one “we are gonna have a fight on our hands keeping hold of this lad” that’s it that’s all I said and you have gone on one. I will repeat again we will have a fight on our hands keeping hold of this lad, that is said as a massive compliment to him because I think he’s that good, see not mentioned anything about McCabe, selling cheap etc etc etc but the top teams will come calling if he keeps progressing that’s a fact. Because you or me think he should stay is irrelevant, we are a business. If it makes sense for the business any player will be sold and that’s a fact.
Glad we cleared that up. 😉

83A0BE3B-1E62-4E6F-8796-8CE5FDACAC25.jpeg
A pleasure to see young Arblaster on the pitch v Burnley. It is always extra-special to see young lads with a Blades connection coming through the youth system. He looked like a lad loving every minute on the pitch, especially in the post-match celebrations. The item above is from the programme for a Youth Cup match, in which his grandfather, Brian Arblaster, played. He had an interesting back-story, and a good career in professional football, but not at the Lane. Here’s hoping young Ollie goes one better.

We are gonna have a fight on our hands holding onto this lad, hopefully him being a Blade and his family also he will give us two or three years in the side before moving on. Such a silky player with his technique and he seems to glide with his running style, makes covering the ground look very easy.
Let him start a League game Harry.

Dont Panic Dont Panic GIFs | Tenor

View attachment 147371
A pleasure to see young Arblaster on the pitch v Burnley. It is always extra-special to see young lads with a Blades connection coming through the youth system. He looked like a lad loving every minute on the pitch, especially in the post-match celebrations. The item above is from the programme for a Youth Cup match, in which his grandfather, Brian Arblaster, played. He had an interesting back-story, and a good career in professional football, but not at the Lane. Here’s hoping young Ollie goes one better.
With hindsight, Thorneywood Athletic's 2-3-5 formation was a little too attacking.

From the bits I've seen of him, he looks like our next big prospect. Has some fantastic tools in his locker.
Would like to see more of him before January. Then a loan if he doesn't seem quite ready.
Wouldn't it be good to see him get half an hour tomorrow night, on for a struggling for form / fitness Fleck.

Not seen enough of him, but he does look promising. Good ball skills, but most importantly, he seems to have a natural footballing brain and good awareness.

View attachment 147371
I played against Jack Parks the number 9 in the Daily Dispatch Cup Final in 1958. We beat them 5 2. He came from Wath upon Dearne.

I played against Jack Parks the number 9 in the Daily Dispatch Cup Final in 1958. We beat them 5 2. He came from Wath upon Dearne.
His 8 goals in that Youth Cup match must be some sort of record for United? I put that out for the statisticians. I trust you were marking him in that Cup Final, with obvious success! I am interested to know what the Daily Dispatch Cup was. I remember seeing him a few times for the Reserves, and thinking he was promising. United sold him to Halifax for £1000, where he scored 14 goals in 40 games. I see from the final home programme of the 1962-63 season he had scored 7 goals in 17 games for the Reserves (2 games remaining), but perhaps ominously for him a certain M Jones had scored 9 in 9 games, plus 4 from 5 first-team appearances. That would have pushed Parks down the pecking order.

Genuine question. If we sent McAtee back and gave Arblaster his spot, are we significantly worse off?

Does anyone know of a photo of Brian Arblaster in United squad photos? There are photos online of him playing elsewhere, but I failed to find one of him with United.

His 8 goals in that Youth Cup match must be some sort of record for United? I put that out for the statisticians. I trust you were marking him in that Cup Final, with obvious success! I am interested to know what the Daily Dispatch Cup was. I remember seeing him a few times for the Reserves, and thinking he was promising. United sold him to Halifax for £1000, where he scored 14 goals in 40 games. I see from the final home programme of the 1962-63 season he had scored 7 goals in 17 games for the Reserves (2 games remaining), but perhaps ominously for him a certain M Jones had scored 9 in 9 games, plus 4 from 5 first-team appearances. That would have pushed Parks down the pecking order.
Jack was a big lad at 15 at school he was fast also. We left school at 15 in those days. I played for Dearnside Modern School and Jack played for Wath Park Road. Wath park road also had a player called Tommy Law who was on Huddersfield books at that time. In the Daily Dispatch cup when we beat them in the Final our centre half Don Latham was a big lad and kept him quiet. I’m talking about 1958 now. Winning the Daily Dispatch cup meant we went through to the English Schools trophy. In the first round we beat the best team in Sheffield away 2-0 to advance into the quarter finals. We then played Darton away and lost 1-0 to a extra time goal by the then England schoolboys centre forward. Darton went on to win the trophy. The Don and Dearne area was a hotbed for young players in the late 1950s early 1960s Geoff Salmons, Frank Barlow, Mick Speight, Mick Prendergast, Alan Warboys, John Dungworth, Ray Mountford, Tony Wagstaffe and his Barry came from the area.

Jack was a big lad at 15 at school he was fast also. We left school at 15 in those days. I played for Dearnside Modern School and Jack played for Wath Park Road. Wath park road also had a player called Tommy Law who was on Huddersfield books at that time. In the Daily Dispatch cup when we beat them in the Final our centre half Don Latham was a big lad and kept him quiet. I’m talking about 1958 now. Winning the Daily Dispatch cup meant we went through to the English Schools trophy. In the first round we beat the best team in Sheffield away 2-0 to advance into the quarter finals. We then played Darton away and lost 1-0 to a extra time goal by the then England schoolboys centre forward. Darton went on to win the trophy. The Don and Dearne area was a hotbed for young players in the late 1950s early 1960s Geoff Salmons, Frank Barlow, Mick Speight, Mick Prendergast, Alan Warboys, John Dungworth, Ray Mountford, Tony Wagstaffe and his Barry came from the area.
Thanks for that. I can only claim to have played against Frank Barlow (he played for Mexborough Grammar, I think?)

Genuine question. If we sent McAtee back and gave Arblaster his spot, are we significantly worse off?
Right now… no.

I would be giving serious thought to sending him and reda back and replacing them with two box to box midfielders

Right now… no.

I would be giving serious thought to sending him and reda back and replacing them with two box to box midfielders
If we did that our relationship with city would suffer.
We did similar with Liverpool they had our pants down with Brewster.
That is not a critism of Brewster,just the fee we paid was far too much.

It's not only us, Forest paid 17m for Neco Williams

Apologies but I wouldn’t be worrying too much about that when he’s not what Sheffield United need right now.

Yes, Hodgy's Broken Thumb, I taught Brian Arblaster (Oliver's Grandfather ) at Killamarsh Secondary School between 1957-1959 and, I too, cannot recall his playing for United. I do seem to recall he was on our books though. He did play for Barnsley and Chesterfield but may be wrong on the latter one. Maybe Silent can help. He was a 'Happy go lucky' type of lad who got on with everybody.
BTW, Hodgy, I,also, played against Mexborough Grammar in the nineteen fifties-which school were you at?

Yes, Hodgy's Broken Thumb, I taught Brian Arblaster (Oliver's Grandfather ) at Killamarsh Secondary School between 1957-1959 and, I too, cannot recall his playing for United. I do seem to recall he was on our books though. He did play for Barnsley and Chesterfield but may be wrong on the latter one. Maybe Silent can help. He was a 'Happy go lucky' type of lad who got on with everybody.
BTW, Hodgy, I,also, played against Mexborough Grammar in the nineteen fifties-which school were you at?
The following (from a Chesterfield web-site) should interest you.
A2F74A86-D251-40BE-A702-374BD8537A14.jpeg563B07E2-121F-4E1F-8B85-D3D267DE8799.jpegBC295169-CCA8-48FA-9EF8-4E499C444692.jpeg
He certainly sounds to have been an interesting character. Sad that he is not around to see his grandson play.
I was at King Edward’s. I was in the under-13s for 1959-60, and ended up captain of the First XI 1964-65. Mainly because we didn’t have many good footballers! I used to get lots of practice in goal…

Ah. OK Hodgy. I would not have played against you, as I am a few years older than you -it sounds better if I said you were a few years younger than me- but I played many times against King Edward's, for Woodhouse Grammar. Your ground was very exposed and , invariably, freezing.
Yes, a great pity that he never got to see Oliver make his debut for us. Hope the lad goes on to make a name , preferably for us.

Ah. OK Hodgy. I would not have played against you, as I am a few years older than you -it sounds better if I said you were a few years younger than me- but I played many times against King Edward's, for Woodhouse Grammar. Your ground was very exposed and , invariably, freezing.
Yes, a great pity that he never got to see Oliver make his debut for us. Hope the lad goes on to make a name , preferably for us.
The ground was certainly character building, especially in goal! And cold showers after the match. I imagine Woodhouse tended to win.

The kind of question inspired by not particularly seeing anything in McAtee that seems to be beyond Arblaster. And are we better developing our own talent rather than City’s.

That ok?

I just find it bizarre that thinking about sending back one of the biggest developing talents the best team on the continent has coming through, when we've been decimated by injuries, because we have someone who might be slightly better based on the fuck all minutes we've seen him play so far, even comes into the head of some people. I want Arblaster to succeed but chucking away what little depth we have at a key position would be idiotic

Back
Top Bottom