Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As a kid at school I was always adding 'e's' on the end of words when not necessary, seem it's the reverse in old age.
In truth, I was putting names, I could recall, to the faces I'd forgotten.
Knew 8, Padgett I needed to work out. Taylor I couldn't.
Well done on John Waring by the way, he has a colts sweater on, seems he may never have won a full cap.

Waring played 29 first class matches.

Brian Close I remember on Calendar innocently refer to Pakistan as the pakies , just like he called Australia the aussies and some going berserk years later saying how racist it was when it was anything but, Football used to just an O to players name ,eg Robbo BUT THE RESPECT WAS THERE

Brian Close I remember on Calendar innocently refer to Pakistan as the pakies , just like he called Australia the aussies and some going berserk years later saying how racist it was when it was anything but, Football used to just an O to players name ,eg Robbo BUT THE RESPECT WAS THERE
Captained England 7 times. Won 6 and drew 1 before getting the sack. The reason was nothing to do with England. The authorities decided that he did time wasting on purpose so that Yorkshire would draw a match they were likely to lose and then went on to win the county championship.

1000020500.gif

Does it really seem like 21 years since this................are you the lad next to the Wolves players arm with hands together praying.

1708593192282.jpeg

Very charitable view of Close given other reporting of his comments back in the day.

I thought Jimmy Binks was Paul Heckingbottom

Binks used to stand up to Fred sometimes and to Nicholson most of the time, with Phil Sharpe standing at first slip, Yorkshire had the most effective catching machine in the game. There are many in the broad acres still who believe that Binks didn’t play for England because he was a Yorkie.

Binks used to stand up to Fred sometimes and to Nicholson most of the time, with Phil Sharpe standing at first slip, Yorkshire had the most effective catching machine in the game. There are many in the broad acres still who believe that Binks didn’t play for England because he was a Yorkie.

I can't remember the Test match but there was a photograph in one of the 'Sundays' of Phil Sharpe taking a catch in the slip. He was like a goalkeeper diving to take it one-handedly(?)

As a kid it's an image that has always remained with me.

I can't remember the Test match but there was a photograph in one of the 'Sundays' of Phil Sharpe taking a catch in the slip. He was like a goalkeeper diving to take it one-handedly(?)

As a kid it's an image that has always remained with me.
Saw him take two brilliant catches in the slips at Queen's Park. Derbyshire v West Indies in 1976. His advice was to expect every ball to come to you. I always remember this when I was fielding in the slips.

Binks got 2 games on the tour of India in 1963-4 where half the party were injured or sick and they effectively had a 10 man team for one test. They even considered giving Henry Blofeld a game.

It were a different time. It’s still that time in BTL’s head.,Embarrasing.
of course its my head , I was there, and grew up in a Sheffield where every child in my schools were white and never came across any non whites till I was maybe 15 , We couldnt be racist as there were no one to be racist to, The first non whites I met were the chinese who opened a take away in Heeley when I was 15

Last edited:
1708705708341.png

Alan Ball's winning goal in our 3-2 defeat at Arsenal on 3rd March 1973. Not seen the photo before, thanks.

I travelled to the match in the Leagueliner that day.

1708706261066.png

Start of 1933-34 season after we sold Jimmy Dunne to Arsenal. We signed Reg Baines from York, he scored 5 goals in 10 games but the club decided he wasnt good enough so we signed Billy Boyd from Clyde. He scored 30 goals in 42 games but it didnt save us from suffering relegation for the first time in our history. He was then sold to Man U where he scored 4 goals in 6 games

of course its my head , I was there, and grew up in a Sheffield where every child in my schools were white and never came across any non whites till I was maybe 15 , We couldnt be racist as there were no one to be racist to, The first non whites I met were the chinese who opened a take away in Heeley when I was 15

I was at school with West Indian kids from 5 and Asian kids from 11.

As for your ridiculous “respect was there” claim over Closes’ comments it was “Paki’s why bother?” I don’t know what respect meant in your all white childhood but there was none there.

It was derogatory then as it is now.

As for the claim that it’s just like “Aussie” that’s I’ll educated apologist crap.

I was at school with West Indian kids from 5 and Asian kids from 11.

As for your ridiculous “respect was there” claim over Closes’ comments it was “Paki’s why bother?” I don’t know what respect meant in your all white childhood but there was none there.

It was derogatory then as it is now.

As for the claim that it’s just like “Aussie” that’s I’ll educated apologist

I m 70 I started school in 1958 and left in around 71 . I have no need to lie about not seeing any non whites in my time as it was true.

Back
Top Bottom