Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That 1901 Cup Final replay advert is interesting. Train travel to quite close to Bolton from Midlands towns with no specific connection to the game, unthinkable these days, presumably pay on the day.

Interesting also that Moses Gate station is the next stop on the line to Bolton and as the poster says, it’s 15 minutes walk to the ground, but Bolton itself is rather closer, I wonder why they chose it over Bolton? In addition, the return train doesn’t leave until 8.20, that’s a long wait after the final whistle and it’s a four hour journey back to Leicester.
I think back in those days different railway companies served/owned different stations. So they probably didn’t run a train from Sheffield Victoria to Bolton as it was owned by a rival company.

Waiting with bated breath here for Cerberus B to return with the answer to the Figtree Lane car conundrum. I've had a look myself, based on his thoughts, to no avail but what I did encounter was a 1958 Ford Fairlane Retractable, as shown. Being a 'no more than passing interest' person on cars this vehicle 'boggled' my mind. Reight colors though1958 Ford Fairlane retractable.jpg

Waiting with bated breath here for Cerberus B to return with the answer to the Figtree Lane car conundrum. I've had a look myself, based on his thoughts, to no avail but what I did encounter was a 1958 Ford Fairlane Retractable, as shown. Being a 'no more than passing interest' person on cars this vehicle 'boggled' my mind. Reight colors thoughView attachment 82398
I’ve seen one of these driving round Woodseats in the past. Very cool looking.

I would tend to agree with benn5712 with the Alfa spotting. We also have a Peugeot 305 and a very rare VW Santana.

It could be, however, all the images of Alfas of the suggested type appear to have two chrome strips around the front bumper, whereas the Ambassador has only one, on the top side

It could be, however, all the images of Alfas of the suggested type appear to have two chrome strips around the front bumper, whereas the Ambassador has only one, on the top side
Ah but, no but. The Ambassador ("Y" reg) has a wee spoiler thing below the bumper and the indicators wrap around more. The Alfa doesn't have any body showing below the bumper and that looks like an Alfa wheel. Giulietta would be my shout as well.

Ah but, no but. The Ambassador ("Y" reg) has a wee spoiler thing below the bumper and the indicators wrap around more. The Alfa doesn't have any body showing below the bumper and that looks like an Alfa wheel. Giulietta would be my shout as well.

Yes, it could well be
Have you any images of the car you think it is?
As an aside, I've never owned an Alfa (sob), but have had an A reg 1.7 litre poverty spec Ambassador, for my sins
Great spot on the VW, I wouldn't have got that in a million years

I think back in those days different railway companies served/owned different stations. So they probably didn’t run a train from Sheffield Victoria to Bolton as it was owned by a rival company.
Do anyone in here know what was the quickest journey time for a train to travel from Sheffield to London pre WW1?

Dunno about Giulietta. GTV had a full size spoiler and black bumpers after around '81. Alfetta saloon version may not have.
Had two GTV's. Mad as a box of frogs but great fun.

Aah , Kelvin flats area , geddit nah.
This is taken from half way up Woolen Lane ( looking down) I was born on the street to the left. Jenkinson St. This was taken in 1958 (I would have been 8 years old) it looks more like 1928. Atrocious living conditions, slum clearance began 4 years later in 1962. We were rehoused on the salubrious ( by comparison) Parson Cross.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 29
This is taken from half way up Woolen Lane ( looking down) I was born on the street to the left. Jenkinson St. This was taken in 1958 (I would have been 8 years old) it looks more like 1928. Atrocious living conditions, slum clearance began 4 years later in 1962. We were rehoused on the salubrious ( by comparison) Parson Cross.
Jesus died on the Cross , some of us just went to school there .

Main competitor was the Ford Cortina, aka The Dagenham Dustbin..
Another famous motoring disaster was the Ford Zephyr/Zodiac mark IV, aka the Dagenham Duck so called because it floated around corners usually into the nearest ditch. It's large bonnet, which also housed the spare wheel made it top heavy, so unless you had arms like Garth it was a struggle especially on wet roads to keep it on the road

The car is a Ford Anglia (E04A to be precise). They were manufactured between 1939 and 1948.

Here's a clearer image of the car in a colour photo:

View attachment 82364
Well done, obviously I missed your 100704 post. Been up all night? Detective work worthy of plod, nudge, nudge,;), ;).
Seriously, though, first class work. I would think the red reflectors were stick on types from when the 50's law requiring them came in.
Flag indicators, used before flashing ones came in, had a relative who referred them as 'sausage' which wasn't a euphemism as his brain never worked that way.
Any other views, giving all of us a better idea of the car. Thanks in advance.

Saw the Damned at the Lyceum (1982?) years after it had closed as a theatre.

They'd ripped out all the seats and put a sloping plastic floor covering in, to cope with beer, sweat, spit and worse.

One of the best gigs I ever attended to be honest.
Surely it was the original floor, with new covering, accommodating theatre goers sight of the stage. I did spend a day doing some work there whilst 'rock' concerts were it's use and two strong memories where the slope on the stalls floor, understood that, and the one on the stage, rising from footlights to the rear, didn't understand why it had to be so steep, probably a formula to calculate such slopes.

Saw the Damned at the Lyceum (1982?) years after it had closed as a theatre.

They'd ripped out all the seats and put a sloping plastic floor covering in, to cope with beer, sweat, spit and worse.

One of the best gigs I ever attended to be honest.
I attended that gig. Hazy recollection of Captain Sensible stripping naked, or my mind playing tricks on me!

Back
Top Bottom