Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Any kit experts on here? I had that kit as a young lad and for some reason kept the socks for 40 odd years but not the shirt or shorts. Anyway the point being the socks Kenworthy is wearing are different to the ones I've got. The shirt and shorts however were the same. The socks in the picture clearly have two black bands around the top whereas mine have black lines around the calf and admiral turnovers.
View attachment 82259

They look brittle.......

I'll have a crack. Back row 3rd on the left. Am I right?
Back row 2nd from right, did a few games for us as inside forward or wing half in the season 49-50 where we finished 3rd in Div 2 (pigs were 2nd by about 0.003 of goal difference} Ralph Morement went on to play for Chester and Rochdale.

As per my post above, the tram system is owned by Stagecoach the council do not have the wherewithal to extend the system particularly now after their budget has been cut by over 50% in the last 10 years.
I thought Stagecoach had a franchise to run the trams but that the network still belonged to the local authority and it’s they who need to put a case for extensions to the government and apply for the funding. I could be completely wrong though.

The car in that photo is probably a Ford Popular, but they also badged it Anglia for a while, I'm not sure why. I've been looking for the "Figtree Lane Post" but am not sure which one you refer to? I fancy my chances of naming the mystery car in that post, if only I could find the post! 🤔

This is the photo, do your thing

IMG_20200514_201450.jpg

I thought Stagecoach had a franchise to run the trams but that the network still belonged to the local authority and it’s they who need to put a case for extensions to the government and apply for the funding. I could be completely wrong though.
Thinking about it I think that's right but the funding from central government does not cover anything like 100 percent of the cost. So it's back to the old argument what do you sacrifice for a tram extension.

Thinking about it I think that's right but the funding from central government does not cover anything like 100 percent of the cost. So it's back to the old argument what do you sacrifice for a tram extension.
I could name quite a few of the government iI’d like to sacrifice!

The car in that photo is probably a Ford Popular, but they also badged it Anglia for a while, I'm not sure why. I've been looking for the "Figtree Lane Post" but am not sure which one you refer to? I fancy my chances of naming the mystery car in that post, if only I could find the post! 🤔

no one likes a giver-upper!

;)

71 to 76 for me S18....You?
68 to 73, we overlapped for two years. Headmaster was a bloke called Adams when I started but I think he left in about 72 and not sure but I think his deputy Mr Houdmont took over.
Some fond memories but I was glad to leave.

68 to 73, we overlapped for two years. Headmaster was a bloke called Adams when I started but I think he left in about 72 and not sure but I think his deputy Mr Houdmont took over.
Some fond memories but I was glad to leave.
It was indeed Houdmont, deputy was Turton, top bloke.Was in Moxon's form and yes glad to leave but nowt wrong with a bit of nostalgia:). We did canoeing in the pool too. Place is barely recognisable these days.

It was indeed Houdmont, deputy was Turton, top bloke.Was in Moxon's form and yes glad to leave but nowt wrong with a bit of nostalgia:). We did canoeing in the pool too. Place is barely recognisable these days.
Those two were both decent blokes, strict but fare. I remember Moxons name but can’t put a face to him now.
I also remember taking part in a 24 hour sponsored swimathon in that pool to raise money towards buying a cottage in North Yorkshire to be used as a outdoor pursuits centre.
Last time I went past all the original school had been bulldozed with only parts of what was a brand new extension the year I started left standing.

That 1901 Cup Final replay advert is interesting. Train travel to quite close to Bolton from Midlands towns with no specific connection to the game, unthinkable these days, presumably pay on the day.

Interesting also that Moses Gate station is the next stop on the line to Bolton and as the poster says, it’s 15 minutes walk to the ground, but Bolton itself is rather closer, I wonder why they chose it over Bolton? In addition, the return train doesn’t leave until 8.20, that’s a long wait after the final whistle and it’s a four hour journey back to Leicester.

Back
Top Bottom