Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

View attachment 51771
The top photo is one of my all-time favourites, which I am including as a self-indulgent treat to help with the stress of the current promotion push. Here is what the promised land of the top division used to look like. Chelsea at home, January 1962, under floodlights on a Saturday afternoon, drawing 1-1, and a centre comes in from the right. Pace is surrounded by 6 defenders, including 'Chopper' Harris, and also has the athletic Bonetti facing him in goal. Like Keith Edwards or Billy Sharp, he finds the vital yard of space, and plants the ball in the corner of the net. One of the reasons I love the grainy old picture is that it is taken from more or less the angle I was watching from, and no doubt without the picture, I would long since have forgotten the goal. It is the image of Pace that always comes first to my mind.
We went on to win 3-1, and finished 5th in the league. Nothing to fear next season, then. I won't mention the fact that we lost 6-1 at Stamford Bridge...
It's funny that I've got two connections to that photo, despite not being born at the time.

Barry Hartle ran a pub in Central London opposite a hospital I used to sell to - pub was The Kings Head. He had a Blades sticker behind the bar and Sean Bean was a regular visitor, and we had a fair few chats about TRAWW.

When working at a hospital in Scotland I had a Terry Gorman print of Bramall Lane on my office wall. A member of the maintenance team walked in one day and said ' My Dad used to play for you'. He was Davie Russell, his Dad was Billy.

On a visit home I mentioned the latter to my Dad who wasn't well at the time , his face lit up and he said that Billy Russell was a real fans favourite and would be worth 'millions' in current (1995 ish) market .

It's funny that I've got two connections to that photo, despite not being born at the time.

Barry Hartle ran a pub in Central London opposite a hospital I used to sell to - pub was The Kings Head. He had a Blades sticker behind the bar and Sean Bean was a regular visitor, and we had a fair few chats about TRAWW.

When working at a hospital in Scotland I had a Terry Gorman print of Bramall Lane on my office wall. A member of the maintenance team walked in one day and said ' My Dad used to play for you'. He was Davie Russell, his Dad was Billy.

On a visit home I mentioned the latter to my Dad who wasn't well at the time , his face lit up and he said that Billy Russell was a real fans favourite and would be worth 'millions' in current (1995 ish) market .
Billy Russell scored the third goal against Chelsea with a beautiful 20-yard shot, or so the match report says. I have no photo of it, and therefore no memory of it.
I really liked Russell when I was a kid. The fact that he came as an amateur and was a teacher (I think) somehow made a connection, and the fact that he was a good player made the story even better. His hat-trick in the first 20 minutes at Newcastle in the 6th round of the Cup was one of the great days of being a Blade.

Those videos are amazing. Would it be possible to put a link to them on our Park Hill Flats (Sheffield) Facebook site?
Did you live in the Park area back in the day then MM? I did until I was 10 then we moved to Gleadless. Went to St John’s primarily on School Street.

Yes, I did GrayBlade I started a Facebook group called Park Hill Flats (Sheffield). I've put loads of photographs on it that I took in late 69 and early 70. I lived at 334 Long Henry Row from 61 to 74 when I got married. Until 1985 my local pubs were all on Park Hill.

Billy Russell scored the third goal against Chelsea with a beautiful 20-yard shot, or so the match report says. I have no photo of it, and therefore no memory of it.
I really liked Russell when I was a kid. The fact that he came as an amateur and was a teacher (I think) somehow made a connection, and the fact that he was a good player made the story even better. His hat-trick in the first 20 minutes at Newcastle in the 6th round of the Cup was one of the great days of being a Blade.
Correction- it wasn’t Billy Russell’s lad , it was Billy Hodgson’s. My bad .....

Yes, I did GrayBlade I started a Facebook group called Park Hill Flats (Sheffield). I've put loads of photographs on it that I took in late 69 and early 70. I lived at 334 Long Henry Row from 61 to 74 when I got married. Until 1985 my local pubs were all on Park Hill.
Cheers Mick I’ll join the group pal if you please? I lived there till the early 60’s, just off Bernard Lane. Could hear the roar from the Lane from my back yard. I was always going to follow Sheffield’s Finest :)

Born on Charnock but we moved before I had chance to dominate the Rec with my Pele-like silky skills*

* More towards the Chopper Harris end of the Pele spectrum, than the Rivelino end
From memory Steve Faulkner and Roger Wilde used to play with us as both went to frecheville. Rogers younger brother Gary was a very good footballer too. David staniforths dad taught at charnock hall juniors

image.jpeg
Having posted my favourite photo (post 10949), I feel the need to balance the positivity by posting a photo that still gives me nightmares. March 1960, Cup 6th round, v Wednesday (from the league above us), crowd of almost 60,000. We outplayed them from beginning to end, the likes of Swan did foul after foul while United played neat attacking football, and we couldn't score because of Springett's brilliance and downright bad luck. The photo above is again taken from just about the angle I was at, and just as as the joy of watching Pace's goal go in was captured by the photographer, so was the horror of this one, the first of Wednesday's 3 attempts on goal. Joe Shaw was penalised for a foul he always claimed was not a foul, the free-kick was headed down by Ellis, a donkey of a centre-forward, and Derek Wilkinson, an effective right-winger, hit it first time.
If Hodgy didn't dive for a shot you knew it was a lost cause, and the ball arrowed into the net. Seeing that picture always brings back that horrible pit-of-the-stomach feeling.
One trivial point this has brought home is that the best photos of goals are taken from the side, with angled shots/headers. And whatever the problems with Kop, I always want to be in a position to live that moment when a great goal is scored by United, and you know even before the ball has gone in that it is a goal. With a seat directly behind the goal for the last 20 years or so, the photographers can't capture my favourite moments any more. The last such moment was Duffy's goal v Rotherham at home. From the moment he struck the ball, we knew it was a goal. Those are moments to treasure.

View attachment 51801
Having posted my favourite photo (post 10949), I feel the need to balance the positivity by posting a photo that still gives me nightmares. March 1960, Cup 6th round, v Wednesday (from the league above us), crowd of almost 60,000. We outplayed them from beginning to end, the likes of Swan did foul after foul while United played neat attacking football, and we couldn't score because of Springett's brilliance and downright bad luck. The photo above is again taken from just about the angle I was at, and just as as the joy of watching Pace's goal go in was captured by the photographer, so was the horror of this one, the first of Wednesday's 3 attempts on goal. Joe Shaw was penalised for a foul he always claimed was not a foul, the free-kick was headed down by Ellis, a donkey of a centre-forward, and Derek Wilkinson, an effective right-winger, hit it first time.
If Hodgy didn't dive for a shot you knew it was a lost cause, and the ball arrowed into the net. Seeing that picture always brings back that horrible pit-of-the-stomach feeling.
One trivial point this has brought home is that the best photos of goals are taken from the side, with angled shots/headers. And whatever the problems with Kop, I always want to be in a position to live that moment when a great goal is scored by United, and you know even before the ball has gone in that it is a goal. With a seat directly behind the goal for the last 20 years or so, the photographers can't capture my favourite moments any more. The last such moment was Duffy's goal v Rotherham at home. From the moment he struck the ball, we knew it was a goal. Those are moments to treasure.
My dad and my Uncle Ronnie missed the game because they were at my other uncle's wedding. This uncle who got married never had any interest in football!

image.jpg
No executive boxes back in the dsy

Help! Could anyone name these past players, I haven't a clue and would like to know.
1 6aa3d7d96be811a8da67ddc01ab8a61b (2).jpg 2 6c079af8bc3922cdf4f5a14fef06c3c0 (2).jpg 3 below left9e01efa6c5f124d461b70b042455caad (2).jpg and 4 27b5c4f4ed56ca8e8906fd1fd570fc18 (2).jpg

Well obviously not so much for me. At least they can say they wore the shirt stepping over the white line, more than I can.
I doubt you’d have been any worse than Hunty.

Back
Top Bottom