Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1974-75 Nov9 A V Luton Town W 0-1 HT0-0.
Believe John Aston the 'Hatters' player and was MacDonald still at Luton?
If so it would have been him who floored Len B, in the back challenge.:mad:
MacDonald left for Newcastle in Summer 1971, left for Arsenal in Summer 1976

B
Never liked MacDonald, but if Blades could sign a MacDonald clone for the coming season I would be highly delighted.
The man knew where the back of the net was and you've got to respect that.
Bert went specifically to see him at Hillsborough in 1970, he duly scored a hattrick for Luton.
He also saw him score both goals in the semi final for Newcastle three years later at the same venue against Burnley.

A proper centre forward, who went straight for goal when he had the ball, none of this passing, pissing about malarkey that you see these days

was at that 6 - 1 game albeit we were 2 down when we got in due to not leaving the pub just outside nottingham early enough always went on that big terrace at the city ground but that day went on open end behind goal lots of trouble that day on said terrace
One of my first ever away matches, travelled on the junior Blades coach. What a shit ground it was back then.
The return game at BDTBL was a great game. And loads of trouble that day too.

One of my first ever away matches, travelled on the junior Blades coach. What a shit ground it was back then.
The return game at BDTBL was a great game. And loads of trouble that day too.
first time on there was in the relegation season 67/68 lost 1 - 0 played well that day and deserved a point 4k blades there that day was also on there in 71 great 3 - 2 win

What a brilliant photo, thank you 'Star' reader.
I know you won't be able to read this, or maybe you can:eek:, so where is the negative/glass plate, so as all Blades fans can see in detail.
After all, these boys were contenders and winners, well worthy of adulation.
Cheers SB for posting,

yers
Jack "Smiler" Smith being chaired in what was supposed to be his last match for us. At Barnsley in the County Cup, May 1950. He did come back to play a few more games the following season

View attachment 161880
Thanks again SB, away shirt I didn't think existed, red sleeves. We've spoken about this in the past and I'm happy to be corrected.
Regards this photo, I believe it's May1949 CCF lost 1-0 HT0-0 V Barnsley at Barnsley, Blades line up seems to confirm this.
Jack Smith did play more games, as you say, the following season Sept 17 V Owles A L 2-1 HT2-1 & Sept 24 Grimsby A L 4-0 HT2-0.
Players in photo LtoR, Thompson, Hutchinson, Brook, McLaren, Jones, Shaw J, 'Smiler', Sir James & Furniss.
Players not in photo are Harry 'Scodger' Latham at centre half and Herbert Buttery Parkin, yes Buttery, who had played nine league games, 48-49 season at left back.

yers

Thanks again SB, away shirt I didn't think existed, red sleeves. We've spoken about this in the past and I'm happy to be corrected.
Regards this photo, I believe it's May1949 CCF lost 1-0 HT0-0 V Barnsley at Barnsley, Blades line up seems to confirm this.
Jack Smith did play more games, as you say, the following season Sept 17 V Owles A L 2-1 HT2-1 & Sept 24 Grimsby A L 4-0 HT2-0.
Players in photo LtoR, Thompson, Hutchinson, Brook, McLaren, Jones, Shaw J, 'Smiler', Sir James & Furniss.
Players not in photo are Harry 'Scodger' Latham at centre half and Herbert Buttery Parkin, yes Buttery, who had played nine league games, 48-49 season at left back.
Thanks for correcting me the year. Yes, you are right about the players. I have seen a photo somewhere else of Jimmy Hagan wearing this kit

Back
Top Bottom