Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

View attachment 143459
1982-83? & who.
Please, Thank You
If you hover of the pic it says 2-0 v Wigan
TK and looks like Houston but the SUFC complete record book says West played at 5 v Wigan ?
We played Orient at home in January '83 and Houston played at number 5. With a bit of digging, that could be Orient change kit from that season, sponsor and badge looks similar too.
Than again, I could be talking complete bollocks 🤷‍♂️

If you hover of the pic it says 2-0 v Wigan
TK and looks like Houston but the SUFC complete record book says West played at 5 v Wigan ?
We played Orient at home in January '83 and Houston played at number 5. With a bit of digging, that could be Orient change kit from that season, sponsor and badge looks similar too.
Than again, I could be talking complete bollocks 🤷‍♂️
Sorry, the Wigan label was my addition but later rejected as the Wigan shirts for '82-83 are different to the photo, thin white stripes and white V neck, with white soxs.
It may not be '82-'83, but is off a programme of that season.1982-83 April 23 H V Bradford City W 2-1 HT0-1 Edwards Towner.jpg

Sorry, the Wigan label was my addition but later rejected as the Wigan shirts for '82-83 are different to the photo, thin white stripes and white V neck, with white soxs.
It may not be '82-'83, but is off a programme of that season.View attachment 143479

The likelihood is that it was a still from the previous home game, which l think was the norm at the time. Which would indeed make it Wigan.

The likelihood is that it was a still from the previous home game, which l think was the norm at the time. Which would indeed make it Wigan.
Thanks for the input, rechecked Wigan kit for 82-83, had white soxs and thin white stripes in shirt.
Strangely enough, the following three seasons Wigans kit was almost identical to the photo. The maker/manufacturer was different to the photo, Hobott for the next two seasons then an unknown one. The photo is obviously Addidas, so when I started this quest I imagined it would be reasonably strait forward.
Could be Wigan introduced the all blue kit early, no doubt it will 'all come out in the wash' as my maternal grandmother used to say.

My late dad took me to a3 2 Derby day win God bless him.. 69ish. Bramall Lane upper.
That was my first derby game - blades 2-0 up then 2-2 then 3-2 Blades if memory serves me

Remember Utd and Weds fans mixing in the old terrace where i stood at the side of the players tunnel - my usual place for 5/6 years before I progressed to the kop with my mates

That was my first derby game - blades 2-0 up then 2-2 then 3-2 Blades if memory serves me

Remember Utd and Weds fans mixing in the old terrace where i stood at the side of the players tunnel - my usual place for 5/6 years before I progressed to the kop with my mates
1970, Tudor came on and scored the winner.

Bert was on the Kop as were Wednesday fans.

Thanks for the input, rechecked Wigan kit for 82-83, had white soxs and thin white stripes in shirt.
Strangely enough, the following three seasons Wigans kit was almost identical to the photo. The maker/manufacturer was different to the photo, Hobott for the next two seasons then an unknown one. The photo is obviously Addidas, so when I started this quest I imagined it would be reasonably strait forward.
Could be Wigan introduced the all blue kit early, no doubt it will 'all come out in the wash' as my maternal grandmother used to say.

Wesh !

It’s Leyton Orients away kit

It’s an odd one. Can you make out the sponsors name as that doesn’t seem to tie in either. Bulldog Tools and none the following year.

'Mamam' as my grandmother was known as by all the family, don't know where that came from and is still referred to by my three years older cousin and myself.
Born in Gleadless in1890 she hadn't a Sheffield dialect as to get to 'town' it was walk there and back.
She worked in the Norfolk Market Hall, for her brother, from I don't know when till mid 70's when she and her daughter had taken over the florist side of the business the rest relinquished with the nursery land being sold off.
I do believe your reply would have brought a smile to her face.

Meanwhile in Scotland, 1969...

The-aftermath-of-the-1969-Scottish-Cup-Final.jpg

Me dad always took me on bramall Lane end.
Always mixed. Standouts include 0 3 v the Futcher brothers and 2 up but 2 3 in end versus big Sam.
Eventually it became too raucous!!

You your Dad and I will have passed like ships in the night.
When the present JSS opened got seats same area, it's a family thing.
Was on terrace for the 3-2 game. :)

You your Dad and I will have passed like ships in the night.
When the present JSS opened got seats same area, it's a family thing.
Was on terrace for the 3-2 game. :)
Quite possibly

Loved standing there , the smell of the rubbing oils coming from the dressing rooms and the thrill of anticipation when the players came out .

Great days

Still sit in the family stand

Dont recognise the player in the bottom photo?
Neither does Bert.

If it wasn't for the sign behind him saying Refreshments and Bar Bert would be thinking it was a Wednesday player.

No doubt someone will enlighten us.

Dont recognise the player in the bottom photo?
I’ve got him down as called Hinchcliffe, believe he was a squad player and not sure if he did make it to the first team, maybe Brian or Billy something like that..

I’ve got him down as called Hinchcliffe, believe he was a squad player and not sure if he did make it to the first team, maybe Brian or Billy something like that..
Not heard of him and there isnt an Hinchcliffe who played for our 1st team

Back
Top Bottom