Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Anyone also remember our Northern Irish ‘saviours’ around that time …… Peter Dornan and Steve McKee ????

Also sunk without a trace !
Sorry - Verde not Verdi 🤪

Yes - Dornan came over from Ireland didn’t he , very highly regarded but soon went back homesick I seem to remember - the other one I don’t seem to recall that well

Sorry - Verde not Verdi 🤪

Yes - Dornan came over from Ireland didn’t he , very highly regarded but soon went back homesick I seem to remember - the other one I don’t seem to recall that well
Steve Mckee was signed by Jimmy Sirrell and released by Harry Haslam. After so many games United had to pay extra money to Linfield needless to say we were skint so with one game to go before payment was due he was released.

This colour. Dont know where we got this kit from. I was at the match but over the years I had forgotten that we wore this kit until in the 1990s I saw a photo of this match. Dont think the colour is the same as the tangerine shirts we wore at Newcastle in 1961

View attachment 131268
I've looked into it a bit more and not really got anywhere.

I discovered Palace had an amber away shirt in the early 60s which was considered so lucky that in 1964 they briefly adopted it as their home shirt (and won promotion!). It was paired with white shorts and socks when it became a home kit but there is some anecdotal evidence it was used with black shorts and amber socks in away games. Annoyingly the only footage I've found of a Palace away game in 1964 is at Wolves, where they wore their home colours for obvious reasons.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that they had some of this kit knocking around 7 years later for whatever reason?

Of course our own home colours from 71-72 included white socks which may not have been allowed to be worn alongside Palace's pale blue, which suggests to me we knew about the clash in advance and therefore this a genuine one-off Blades kit unless it is that 1964 Palace gear.

Their away kit in 1971 was distinctly yellow with red and blue details so it definitely isn't that.

I've looked into it a bit more and not really got anywhere.

I discovered Palace had an amber away shirt in the early 60s which was considered so lucky that in 1964 they briefly adopted it as their home shirt (and won promotion!). It was paired with white shorts and socks when it became a home kit but there is some anecdotal evidence it was used with black shorts and amber socks in away games. Annoyingly the only footage I've found of a Palace away game in 1964 is at Wolves, where they wore their home colours for obvious reasons.

Is it beyond the realms of possibility that they had some of this kit knocking around 7 years later for whatever reason?

Of course our own home colours from 71-72 included white socks which may not have been allowed to be worn alongside Palace's pale blue, which suggests to me we knew about the clash in advance and therefore this a genuine one-off Blades kit unless it is that 1964 Palace gear.

Their away kit in 1971 was distinctly yellow with red and blue details so it definitely isn't that.
Hmmm, could be

1646333445496.png

When my dear old, slightly racist Irish nan first saw Thin Lizzy on TOTP, she exclaimed "Christ, they've got black people in Ireland now!" 🤣😱😱😱
Similar to the circle of Irish immigrants (of which my father was one) referred to anyone of colour born in Ireland "it must have been a bloody hot day in Dublin the day he was born"

Remember watching Mel Rees in the warm up from my position on the West Terrace before the Liverpool game & he seemed to miss / fumble bloody everything.. I turned round to my mates & said FFS I don’t rate this lad .. thank fuck I’m not a scout for keepers for us lol .. had a blinder & went on to turn in some crackin performances for us .. top man & a great bloke who I had the pleasure of meeting .. RIP Mel ⚔️⚔️

Remember watching Mel Rees in the warm up from my position on the West Terrace before the Liverpool game & he seemed to miss / fumble bloody everything.. I turned round to my mates & said FFS I don’t rate this lad .. thank fuck I’m not a scout for keepers for us lol .. had a blinder & went on to turn in some crackin performances for us .. top man & a great bloke who I had the pleasure of meeting .. RIP Mel ⚔️⚔️

I remember the original chant for Mel. England’s Englands number 2….

:)

I remember being in the Junior Common room at my boarding school watching the score come out on the Vidiprinter on the Grandstand programme and then jumping for joy! I was the only Blade in the room
3 of us 15 year olds went on the SUT coach. Hardly any Blades there (only 2 SUT coaches), but we foolishly had our scarves on. Got threatened and jostled inside the ground by some 20ish year olds until some older Spurs fans got the cops to help us. Went for some chips after the game only to run into the same fans who had jostled us inside. Recognised us even though our scarves were inside our pockets. We got smacked through some hedgerows, and our scarves pulled out of our pockets. Ran like fuck to get back to the coach where there were a couple of coppers to help us. Still, class it as a good day, particularly Woody's curler around Pat Jennings for the Blades opener. Long time ago, but I think Chivers equalised, only for (Jim Bone?) to score the winner near the end........

3 of us 15 year olds went on the SUT coach. Hardly any Blades there (only 2 SUT coaches), but we foolishly had our scarves on. Got threatened and jostled inside the ground by some 20ish year olds until some older Spurs fans got the cops to help us. Went for some chips after the game only to run into the same fans who had jostled us inside. Recognised us even though our scarves were inside our pockets. We got smacked through some hedgerows, and our scarves pulled out of our pockets. Ran like fuck to get back to the coach where there were a couple of coppers to help us. Still, class it as a good day, particularly Woody's curler around Pat Jennings for the Blades opener. Long time ago, but I think Chivers equalised, only for (Jim Bone?) to score the winner near the end........
From the Woody's goals and assists thread

GOAL - v Spurs (a) 15.9.73. Woodward scored to complete 100 League goals for the club, and although he has certainly scored many more spectacular goals, I question whether he has shown such remarkable skill and calmness as he did for this one. Tottenham's defence got itself into a mess and Salmons was quick to pick up a loose ball and push it to Woodward out on the left inside the penalty area. The winger had an opponent with him, Jennings coming out and with almost no room Woodward curved the ball cleverly across the front of Jennings and watched it clip the foot of an upright and bounce gently over the line. Sir Alf Ramsey, a man not often known to show his appreciation, was at the match and he was overheard commenting to somebody at half time that Woodward's goal was "magnificent".

I remember Darren Gough playing for Yorkshire at cricket but was unaware he'd kept goal for us
20220305_091812.jpg

Our centre forward certainly was obviously one of the first to come out

England U23 training session. I can name figures Left and Centre, but am buggered, if I can name the chap on the right.Coaching England U23'S.png

Back
Top Bottom