Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

In 1993 my then wife and I looked at said house
If you drive down Bents Road to the junction with Ecclesall Rd Sth it is almost opposite, about 1 O'Clock if 12.00 is directly across
About £165k if memory serves
Thankfully too expensive
So was the house

I'm re-married to a lovely woman who has been a season ticket holder since she was six :)
In that Sheffield Forum thread, one says it was the house next door to the garage (the house pictured), another says a detached house further towards Ecclesall which is presumably the one you looked at. To be honest, I've often thought the murder house might be the one you looked at, because that would fit in with the guy who talks about the subsequent owners. However, the one pictured fits the bill and seems eerily spooky because it has been empty for around 30 years.

I think he’s named after the best ever line in a musical parody. The Simpson’s musical version of Planet of the Apes. “I hate every chimp I see, from Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z, no you’ll never make a monkey out of me”. Genius. And I don’t really like musical comedy.

Not as good as “The Stonecutters” or “Be my vest” though :)

The 'Stores', as it was and as it is now

View attachment 119968
I remember once or twice as a kid having a meal in the Co-op cafe/restaurant on a Saturday lunchtime. At the time it seemed a big part of the landscape at that end of the Moor and you wouldn't imagine it being knocked down. I presume it went when the S&E shut up shop?

I remember once or twice as a kid having a meal in the Co-op cafe/restaurant on a Saturday lunchtime. At the time it seemed a big part of the landscape at that end of the Moor and you wouldn't imagine it being knocked down. I presume it went when the S&E shut up shop?
I think my mum and dad used to take me to see Santa there in the early seventies. They had a sleigh ride that fooled me for a couple of years. As I got a bit older I realised that the sleigh wasn’t moving, they had scenery painted on paper on two rollers either side that rolled along to give the impression it was moving.

I think my mum and dad used to take me to see Santa there in the early seventies. They had a sleigh ride that fooled me for a couple of years. As I got a bit older I realised that the sleigh wasn’t moving, they had scenery painted on paper on two rollers either side that rolled along to give the impression it was moving.
Same here fella. I wondered how the hell that long a journey could fit in the space before I realised!

I came across this photo of Haymarket this morning, I can’t remember it being shown on here before so thought I’d post it.

View attachment 120318
Been on fb, and the poster remarked that Woolworths wasn't open yet, not true.
The answer is in the photo, c1960 maybe he wasn't a 'Sheffielder' like myself.
Superb photo, much like your Joe Scarborough paintings, so much going on in it.
We're back to the point duty men again.
Weaver to Wearer, a name which had gone from my memory. They were tailors weren't they?
Bloke crossing the road, foreground with a bunch of flowers, his position indicates he's just come out of the Castle market may have been served by my grandmother or my mother, never can tell.
Livery on the AEC bus, foreground plus two others. Remember that, but was it a one off for that type as it differed from the 'normal' livery as shown behind it.
I know there are transport enthusiasts on here, would they know the answer?
Please, with a premature, Thank You.
All in all a super photo. Thank You.
Edit, Car emerging from Dixon Lane, then one way. It was two way until around1955

This is an article from 1989 about the store. It was owned by Yorkshire co-op and was sold for development. The Council wanted a 'Quality development'. What we got was a Safeway supermarket, and latterly Waitrose. Ah well.

IMG_0465.JPG

Last edited:
Been on fb, and the poster remarked that Woolworths wasn't open yet, not true.
The answer is in the photo, c1960 maybe he wasn't a 'Sheffielder' like myself.
Superb photo, much like your Joe Scarborough paintings, so much going on in it.
We're back to the point duty men again.
Weaver to Wearer, a name which had gone from my memory. They were tailors weren't they?
Bloke crossing the road, foreground with a bunch of flowers, his position indicates he's just come out of the Castle market may have been served by my grandmother or my mother, never can tell.
Livery on the AEC bus, foreground plus two others. Remember that, but was it a one off for that type as it differed from the 'normal' livery as shown behind it.
I know there are transport enthusiasts on here, would they know the answer?
Please, with a premature, Thank You.
All in all a super photo. Thank You.
Edit, Car emerging from Dixon Lane, then one way. It was two way until around1955.EB365FD0-3D16-4631-9DC9-E34CD847BB37.jpeg
The ‘three blue bands’ vs the ‘blue window surrounds’ wasn’t the only variation to be found in the Sheffield livery either. On first repaint, buses had their roofs painted smudge grey instead of the cream they were delivered with, as seen in this photo of the same all-Leyland PD2, 613, laying over in Castlegate, alongside the River Don. I’ve heard it said that the shade of grey was actually derived from mixing the residue of the blue and cream paint tins.
In Ian’s photo of the bus, taken in its later years, the bus is seen to have had its original cream roof restored, part of the modifications made to the livery in the ‘Humpidge’ era of management. When C.T. Humpidge, formerly at Bradford, took over as General Manager from R.C. Moore in 1961, he made moves to do away with the practice of painting the roofs grey, and Roe bodies eventually lost their blue window surrounds, although intriguingly none of the Leyland ‘Farington’ style bodied PD2s so treated ever did, and retained their ‘blue window surrounds’ livery to the end. Humpidge also had matt black applied between the destination apertures to form a so called ‘consolidated display’, a move that still generates fierce debate amongst some older Sheffield enthusiasts even fifty plus years later!!

The above lifted from another site might help.

Wonderful, clear photo SEB. I've no wish to detract from Aston max's heartfelt memories of the abattoir (and thanks, but I've no wish to hear too much more detail either 🤢🙂.)
However the office block complex, centre right, was the P.O. Telephones TEC - .
My first day as an innocent engineering apprentice started at 7:45 am in the far left corner top floor office in Nov 67.
Within 2 hours I was with a cable gang on the as yet unfinished MI at Tinsley, pulling in the cables for the emergency telephone network.
Every time I now travel on that section anyone who is fortunate enough to be be within earshot will be informed ad nauseum that " I built all this, you know".
There was also a fair collection of vans in the yard that I remember well. Vivas, Commers, Marinas, Bedfords and of course the Moggies amongst others. It looks from that photo that the transition from green to yellow van livery was well underway so I guess the photo was taken around 1968/69.

Wonderful, clear photo SEB. I've no wish to detract from Aston max's heartfelt memories of the abattoir (and thanks, but I've no wish to hear too much more detail either 🤢🙂.)
However the office block complex, centre right, was the P.O. Telephones TEC - .
My first day as an innocent engineering apprentice started at 7:45 am in the far left corner top floor office in Nov 67.
Within 2 hours I was with a cable gang on the as yet unfinished MI at Tinsley, pulling in the cables for the emergency telephone network.
Every time I now travel on that section anyone who is fortunate enough to be be within earshot will be informed ad nauseum that " I built all this, you know".
There was also a fair collection of vans in the yard that I remember well. Vivas, Commers, Marinas, Bedfords and of course the Moggies amongst others. It looks from that photo that the transition from green to yellow van livery was well underway so I guess the photo was taken around 1968/69.

post-28-1193741243_thumb.jpg

Back
Top Bottom