Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

No photo, but does anyone remember the mechanical animal band in the co op at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd in the early 70s? The monkey conductor absolutely terrified me!

No photo, but does anyone remember the mechanical animal band in the co op at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd in the early 70s? The monkey conductor absolutely terrified me!
So much so that you subconsciously named yourself after him?

Seriously though, you have stoked up a memory there that I can't quite put my finger on. Was that the Co-op that was near the Lane that ended up selling Chinese fireworks ("... It's a race of people and it's a type of food... And it's a type of firework") or the Co-op at Hunter's Bar?

Seriously though, you have stoked up a memory there that I can't quite put my finger on. Was that the Co-op that was near the Lane that ended up selling Chinese fireworks ("... It's a race of people and it's a type of food... And it's a type of firework") or the Co-op at Hunter's Bar?
I think he’s named after the best ever line in a musical parody. The Simpson’s musical version of Planet of the Apes. “I hate every chimp I see, from Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z, no you’ll never make a monkey out of me”. Genius. And I don’t really like musical comedy.

I think he’s named after the best ever line in a musical parody. The Simpson’s musical version of Planet of the Apes. “I hate every chimp I see, from Chimpan-A to Chimpan-Z, no you’ll never make a monkey out of me”. Genius. And I don’t really like musical comedy.
I've missed that Simpson's episode and as you say what a great line.
If you appreciate that listen to some Gilber&Sullivan or I should say W S Gilbert lyrics.
All my life I've, inadvertently, listened to their music always being struck by the the use of words within the construction of the lyrics. I know bugger all about them but have promised myself to learn more of their work.

The one where Waitrose is now. I think it was an S&E co op!

and spot on about my name!

Well worth a read up on the organisation that runs the place, or even visit their interweb site.
Pre WW1, the first place to manufacture stainless steel cutlery.
Priceless history on the doorstep of the Lane
Brought back a few memories back in the late 80s we had a couple 'little Mesters' as suppliers, one at the Portland works, metal spinner, producing headlight bowls, and over at the Beehive works an old couple man and wife, polisher and buffer, for the cast Ali grilles from a foundry on Matilda Street, all that graft and skill in about half a mile radius,,now the first step would be ebay, Amazon and stuff shipped from China

Garage, Takdir, New Jasmine House

I almost bought a house about 7 or 8 doors back towards Ecclesall: The house where a murder took place
I don't believe the house in the picture has such "provenance "
Happy to be corrected

Garage, Takdir, New Jasmine House

I almost bought a house about 7 or 8 doors back towards Ecclesall: The house where a murder took place
I don't believe the house in the picture has such "provenance "
Happy to be corrected

In 1993 my then wife and I looked at said house
If you drive down Bents Road to the junction with Ecclesall Rd Sth it is almost opposite, about 1 O'Clock if 12.00 is directly across
About £165k if memory serves
Thankfully too expensive
So was the house

I'm re-married to a lovely woman who has been a season ticket holder since she was six :)

Back
Top Bottom