Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Three photos from the upper section of Solly Street, July 1985. Most of these building are still standing and renovated.
First, Solly Street/Kenyon Street corner. With the Red House pub further up in the pic.

View attachment 83694

Second, Solly Street taken from Kenyon Street.

View attachment 83695

Lastly, Solly Street /Red Hill corner. On the back of the photo I've scribbled "Paupers' Hostel" but I can't recall now where I got the info from. Maybe an inscription on the building but I've not been up that way for a long time.

View attachment 83696
That is Provincial House, the former presbytery for St Vincent's and currently student accommodation.

Three photos from the upper section of Solly Street, July 1985. Most of these building are still standing and renovated.
First, Solly Street/Kenyon Street corner. With the Red House pub further up in the pic.

View attachment 83694

View attachment 83695

Lastly, Solly Street /Red Hill corner. On the back of the photo I've scribbled "Paupers' Hostel" but I can't recall now where I got the info from. Maybe an inscription on the building but I've not been up that way for a long time.

View attachment 83696
Memories in 1 and 3 photos. Red House, only been in a handful of times around twelve eighteen months prior to your photos. One memorable Saturday lunch time session, was an excellent pub at that time. The 'Paupers house', was I believe run by the Roman Catholic Church. It had just been well renovated and made into offices when I first saw it. A building well worth retaining.
ECL has it right with what he says about photo 3, I could only remember connection with RC Church.

Good grief! I spent some fairly brutal times in there 1978/79 for physio after a very bad motorcycle accident on the last day of 1977. They did sort me out though. A few years later Mrs Numpty was subjected to the regime after badly dislocating her kneecap. That was 1984 - she may have been one of the final "patients". Anyone remember when it closed?
Me too. Came of my Lambretta GP 200 on Church St. Had broken bones in foot, leg and ankle. Then 400+ stitches inside and out as I'd smashed through a windscreen. Did my physio and wax baths at Edgar Allens. Can remember when the pot came off. Leg as thin as Bannans hair.

I've just found this extract from T'internet, NDR.

"Known as the Edgar Allen Physical Treatment Centre from 1947, being then a unit of the Royal Sheffield Infirmary and Hospital, it also provided training grounds for students from the School of Physiotherapy which opened in May 1949. By the 1950s, as well as a fully kitted out gymnasium, there were sunlight, diathermy, electrical, heat and massage departments, rooms for mud treatment, whirlpools, paraffin wax baths and a rheumatism centre. It closed, and the buildings were sold off in October 1988."

I'm sure you'll remember some of that kit well!
Actually, when I took the photo in 1985, it looked pretty unoccupied then. It was one of the reasons I took the photo.
I believe William Edgar Allen, Steel works owner was/is one of Sheffield lesser known benefactors having made the initial donation to start the centre going

A couple more photos from Aug 1985.
First a shot looking down Snig Hill towards the Bridge Street bus terminus.

View attachment 83909

Second, Pinstone St after the old wooden canopies were removed from the bus stops.

View attachment 83910

Woollens Signs sign still there I think.

You'd have thought they would have found a good sign maker by now to replace it.

Is that the Western Jean Company and Wimpy at the top of Fargate?

Andingmen , you have some really fantastic photos, this is my Sheffield as I knew it as a teenager shortly before I moved away. Have you ever displayed them anywhere? (Other than here!)

That's very kind Hamburg Blade, but actually no, I've never given it a thought until we all started kicking our heels with the footy suspension.
Like many others, I'd been following this thread for years and marvelling at the wide knowledge and range of images posted by many of the excellent posters on here.
I just thought I'd got these photos gathering dust so had a shot at submitting a few. Just a bloke, wandering about taking a few shots here and there on whatever camera I had at the time, really.
Anyway, it gave me an excuse to get some 'me' time and kept me off the streets.

A couple more photos from Aug 1985.
First a shot looking down Snig Hill towards the Bridge Street bus terminus.

View attachment 83909
Often went down there to catch the 47/48 bus to Shiregreen in the 1960s (my grandmother's), 1970s (my twin uncles) and 1980s (playing football at Concord Park most Saturdays and training there every Thursday)

That's very kind Hamburg Blade, but actually no, I've never given it a thought until we all started kicking our heels with the footy suspension.
Like many others, I'd been following this thread for years and marvelling at the wide knowledge and range of images posted by many of the excellent posters on here.
I just thought I'd got these photos gathering dust so had a shot at submitting a few. Just a bloke, wandering about taking a few shots here and there on whatever camera I had at the time, really.
Anyway, it gave me an excuse to get some 'me' time and kept me off the streets.
They are the sort of photos I wish I'd taken. Keep em coming.

Yes, Silent. I remember seeing Alex Forbes play for us in 1947 -48. A Scottih international, I think. A tough , uncompromising number 6. Left half , in those days.

View attachment 83694

View attachment 83695

View attachment 83696
Our footy team was based at the Red House when we first started ,before moving to the Devonshire on Eccy Rd ,then the Barrel. Landlady did brilliant Yorkshires with Gravy for us on a Sunday dinner.
Love to see the Viva on the first pic too ,my first car.

I've just found this extract from T'internet, NDR.

"Known as the Edgar Allen Physical Treatment Centre from 1947, being then a unit of the Royal Sheffield Infirmary and Hospital, it also provided training grounds for students from the School of Physiotherapy which opened in May 1949. By the 1950s, as well as a fully kitted out gymnasium, there were sunlight, diathermy, electrical, heat and massage departments, rooms for mud treatment, whirlpools, paraffin wax baths and a rheumatism centre. It closed, and the buildings were sold off in October 1988."

I'm sure you'll remember some of that kit well!
Actually, when I took the photo in 1985, it looked pretty unoccupied then. It was one of the reasons I took the photo.
Ayup Andingmen! The only bit I saw was the gym, which had the most excruciating exercise bikes ever invented. The "instructor" (none of this namby pamby physio stuff, and they can be brutal) was an ex-army PTI, a dead ringer for the late actor Fulton Mackay (Mr Mackay in Porridge), in both accent and manner! Having said that, he sorted me out - I was very lucky to keep my right leg, which I still have, though it resembles a disjointed road map with weird angles, and has a new-ish knee joint! I'm still grateful to the staff in the orthopaedic department of the old Royal Hospital on West Street, which closed not long after I was discharged. This sounds awful, but actually brought back some happy memories of old times. I took Mrs Numpty for her physio there on the back of my Suzuki 400, crutches strapped to the bike!! After a very long layoff (kids and money), I still ride a bike, and still feel 19 when I'm on it!

Me too. Came of my Lambretta GP 200 on Church St. Had broken bones in foot, leg and ankle. Then 400+ stitches inside and out as I'd smashed through a windscreen. Did my physio and wax baths at Edgar Allens. Can remember when the pot came off. Leg as thin as Bannans hair.
When was your accident Tony? I know that bikers and scooter riders used to have something of a stand off situation, well after the 60's mods and rockers stuff, buttie I'm too old for all that shit now! Paths may have crossed in the Royal or at Edgar Allen's! Me leg's never been reyt since, but I'm happy to have it!

When was your accident Tony? I know that bikers and scooter riders used to have something of a stand off situation, well after the 60's mods and rockers stuff, buttie I'm too old for all that shit now! Paths may have crossed in the Royal or at Edgar Allen's! Me leg's never been reyt since, but I'm happy to have it!
Would have been 1970 as I had the pot on at the time of the George Best goal game at Old Trafford. Amazing how many scooter lads turned up at the Royal Hospital that same night. Luckily leg recovered apart from it looking like a patchwork quilt. My problem was I put on so much weight.

Andingmen , you have some really fantastic photos, this is my Sheffield as I knew it as a teenager shortly before I moved away. Have you ever displayed them anywhere? (Other than here!)
Visited my stepdaughter in Hamburg on way to Malmo few months back. Wot a nightmare that Elbe Tunnel is.

Often went down there to catch the 47/48 bus to Shiregreen in the 1960s (my grandmother's), 1970s (my twin uncles) and 1980s (playing football at Concord Park most Saturdays and training there every Thursday)
Me too SB, I used to catch the 110 to Southey Green in the mid 60's

Visited my stepdaughter in Hamburg on way to Malmo few months back. Wot a nightmare that Elbe Tunnel is.
The Elbe creates some very bad bottle-necks. Fortunately I never have to use the tunnel as I live outside the city on the east side, but the motorway on our side over the Elbe is also a notorious traffic blackspot. They ought to build another crossing or two, but instead they built the Philharmonic for about a trillion euros.

Would have been 1970 as I had the pot on at the time of the George Best goal game at Old Trafford. Amazing how many scooter lads turned up at the Royal Hospital that same night. Luckily leg recovered apart from it looking like a patchwork quilt. My problem was I put on so much weight.
1978 for me!

Three photos taken on Corporation Street Aug 1985. Very few, if any, of the buildings remain now. The only one I can really recall, was Ascar Exhausts, down on the left from West Bar. I think it's just at the right edge of the first photo.
First shot towards West Bar

Corporation St towards West Bar Aug 1985.jpg

Second, towards Nursery Street.

Corporation St twds Nursery St Aug 1985.jpg

Lastly, the top end of Corporation St.

Corporation St twds Nursery St 2 Aug 1985.jpg

Three photos taken on Corporation Street Aug 1985. Very few, if any, of the buildings remain now. The only one I can really recall, was Ascar Exhausts, down on the left from West Bar. I think it's just at the right edge of the first photo.

View attachment 84127

View attachment 84132

View attachment 84133
The last photo has all the elements of a typical Sheffield 1980s street scene. Plenty of dilapidated buildings, some crappy cars and a bloke pissing in a doorway. Aah. The nostalgia.

View attachment 84127

View attachment 84132

View attachment 84133
First picture. The entrance on the left was Hadfields Jag or Rover garage.
Directly across, red door was the Ambulance service garage. A gives it away.
Second picture. Brook Shaw's parts department was down the road on the right.

Back
Top Bottom