Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Shillito used to live on Godric road, just off Nethershire lane. I think there were three brothers.
I think the chippy in the 70s was owned by a Greek/Cypriot family.
Yeah thought he lived local. I had a mate on Godric who I knocked about with as a nipper/teen.

I’ll take your word for it re the chippy. I could have sworn the main bloke was a Scotsman, Mr Fuscoe or something like that. I’m probably talking very late seventies, early eighties though as that’s as far back as I can remember

Yeah thought he lived local. I had a mate on Godric who I knocked about with as a nipper/teen.

I’ll take your word for it re the chippy. I could have sworn the main bloke was a Scotsman, Mr Fuscoe or something like that. I’m probably talking very late seventies, early eighties though as that’s as far back as I can remember
You could be right about the chippy, I moved away from Sheffield and Shiregreen in the early 80s to Germany.

Congratulations on the photo, excellent you caught things at exactly the right moment, you must be a professional.
When you went into the 'Valley', do you remember the little church at the side of the road. built by Italian prisoners of war, who also built the road. Tried to find photos of the church but drew a blank, to present.

This is the one.download-1.jpg

Please don't think I'm being facetious but it is not exactly how I remember it, fifty eight years have taken their toll on my memory. Re jigging brain. Thanks for your efforts and the memory, appreciated.
Me neither. Maybe it's been renovated.

Three photos from the upper section of Solly Street, July 1985. Most of these building are still standing and renovated.
First, Solly Street/Kenyon Street corner. With the Red House pub further up in the pic.

Solly St Kenyon St July 1986.jpg

Second, Solly Street taken from Kenyon Street.

Solly St from Kenyon St July 1985.jpg

Lastly, Solly Street /Red Hill corner. On the back of the photo I've scribbled "Paupers' Hostel" but I can't recall now where I got the info from. Maybe an inscription on the building but I've not been up that way for a long time.

Solly St Paupers Hostel Red Hill July 1985.jpg

Edgar Allen Institute. Corner of West St/Gell St , July 1985

View attachment 82931
Good grief! I spent some fairly brutal times in there 1978/79 for physio after a very bad motorcycle accident on the last day of 1977. They did sort me out though. A few years later Mrs Numpty was subjected to the regime after badly dislocating her kneecap. That was 1984 - she may have been one of the final "patients". Anyone remember when it closed?

I've just found this extract from T'internet, NDR.

"Known as the Edgar Allen Physical Treatment Centre from 1947, being then a unit of the Royal Sheffield Infirmary and Hospital, it also provided training grounds for students from the School of Physiotherapy which opened in May 1949. By the 1950s, as well as a fully kitted out gymnasium, there were sunlight, diathermy, electrical, heat and massage departments, rooms for mud treatment, whirlpools, paraffin wax baths and a rheumatism centre. It closed, and the buildings were sold off in October 1988."

I'm sure you'll remember some of that kit well!
Actually, when I took the photo in 1985, it looked pretty unoccupied then. It was one of the reasons I took the photo.

Back
Top Bottom