Old Photos For No Reason Whatsoever

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

John St stand got bombed, what you see there is the construction of cover for the Kop, excellent photo.

A real gem I think. I've not seen that before.

BDTBL, Bomb damage, full crowd, smiling faces,

Saying that, I wouldn't have gone. No interest in cricket, post-war boredom or not 😂

June 1945
England v Aussies one day match
can see the shell of the stand remaining from the Sheffield blitz
iconic image ⭐View attachment 73482
First photo will put it into perspective plus more of the same game. The the two teams were all service personnel who had all served during the war and believe a series of games up and down the country were played under the title Victory Tests.cricket-england-v-australia-services-day-one-bramall-lane-sheffield-g4aarm.jpgcricket-england-v-australia-services-day-8821255.jpgAustralians take the field.cricket-england-v-austrailia-servises-day-050935.jpgGeneral view of what was a sunny day at BDTBL. Anybody know the score

Philistine.;)

😂

Well, I say that I wouldn't go to a cricket game, but my brother told me about when he went to a cricket match a few years ago, somewhere south of USA. He said tickets were about US$5 to get in or 10, including free beer and food. Now we're talking :)

I said, I would think a con trick. But turns out it wasn't and staff bring constant redstripe and food. He's not much of a drinker, but said all food was good, and got 'reasonably' pissed... had I been there, then I think probably end up looking worse than this bombed roof damage picture.

I did have to agree though, I WOULD watch a cricket match for about £8 if included free beer and food. I can't think of any reasonable excuse not to 🤣

I was there and will always remember it as I got hit with a dart in the shoulder thrown from the scabs - side terrace was split into two with about 3 coppers separating the fans.

Me too, they got behind us lobbing just about everything. Got our own back outside.

I took this photograph in early 1969. You wouldn't believe the number of people on Facebook who doubted its authenticity. The signs are too modern, the street lights are too modern or the M18 didn't exist. Though, in the end the penny dropped.View attachment 73197
Am I missing something?

I recognise that view, but for the life of me can't name the place.

Give us a clue Mick :) I know I will be kicking myself.
I am joining a bit late here.
Saville street coming from Wicker arches. The right turn takes you to Norfolk bridge/Atterdliffe road.
Traffic light controlled crossroads in front Saville st east/ Sutherland st crossing also going to Norfolk bridge.
Some old Sheffield industrial buildings. Firth Brown, Firth Brown tools, Spear & Jackson.

Anyone got any pictures of the Lane social club, only went in once - from memory I think it was located at the back of the South stand car park?

Anyone got any pictures of the Lane social club, only went in once - from memory I think it was located at the back of the South stand car park?
Flummoxed me with back of SS car park, thought it may have been a 'al fresco' style club. In the South Stand, to the Lane side of centre many years ago there was a club based on the working mans club style. No photos I'm afraid.
Also there was a club in the Pavilion early '70's, went in one pre-match at the behest of my Grandfather only to be confronted by Keith Macklin. He was attired in large check jacket plus kipper tie. stood at the bar, alone. It seemed he was looking for someone to recognise him or to buy him a drink, sad really as no one was taking a blind bit of notice of him. If memory serves beer were fizzy keg type. Remember there was a United Internationals board in there and photo confirms this. Two good'ns in photo.Internationals board in pavilion bar Went in with Pop.jpg

The Lane Social Club was housed originally in the old cricket pavilion before moving into the South Stand.
The only pictures I can find is this one with Keith Edwards and the other one shows the entrance to the club in the bottom left corner
IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0309.JPG

Flummoxed me with back of SS car park, thought it may have been a 'al fresco' style club. In the South Stand, to the Lane side of centre many years ago there was a club based on the working mans club style. No photos I'm afraid.
Also there was a club in the Pavilion early '70's, went in one pre-match at the behest of my Grandfather only to be confronted by Keith Macklin. He was attired in large check jacket plus kipper tie. stood at the bar, alone. It seemed he was looking for someone to recognise him or to buy him a drink, sad really as no one was taking a blind bit of notice of him. If memory serves beer were fizzy keg type. Remember there was a United Internationals board in there and photo confirms this. Two good'ns in photo.View attachment 73557
Thanks for this, it was in the old cricket pavilion I remember - was it upstairs?

Anyone remember Norman " ye baaared " from the old social club?

I worked behind the bar in the social club mid to late 70's, must've been under age thinking about it 😀 There was a pool table down the corridor from the main bar, if you picked it up and dropped it at one end all the balls would drop and you'd get free pool! 🎱

I am joining a bit late here.
Saville street coming from Wicker arches. The right turn takes you to Norfolk bridge/Atterdliffe road.
Traffic light controlled crossroads in front Saville st east/ Sutherland st crossing also going to Norfolk bridge.
Some old Sheffield industrial buildings. Firth Brown, Firth Brown tools, Spear & Jackson.
I'm joining even later here....
Benn is correct ( he would be being an old Firth Brown man 🙂).
I worked up No.1 gate as shown on left of photo for a good few years, it being the main access to the Norfolk Bar Mill treatment section. The actual mill was further down on corner of Sutherland Road/Saville Street.
It was a mucky, greasy place to be a maintenance fitter but what a laugh we had back then.
Happy days indeed!

I'm joining even later here....
Benn is correct ( he would be being an old Firth Brown man 🙂).
I worked up No.1 gate as shown on left of photo for a good few years, it being the main access to the Norfolk Bar Mill treatment section. The actual mill was further down on corner of Sutherland Road/Saville Street.
It was a mucky, greasy place to be a maintenance fitter but what a laugh we had back then.
Happy days indeed!
Absolutely. There was a water tank on legs above that corner, you'll remember it. Pumped from the river at a guess, it had it's own microcosm. Flora, fauna and creatures small
and smaller.
This tank became unused . Norfolk bar had gone(?) and part of it was used as parking and workshops. One particular day, someone inspected the tank and in their unofficial
capacity of eco saviour decided action was needed.
"It's gerrin a bit full wi' t rain. If it overflows them little fish will die. Let's open valve and drain some watter out".
And he did.
After a while we decided to have a look around the building underneath. Just in case, like.
Looked through the glass in the first door, only to see a two foot high wave heading towards me.
"Oreyt?"
"Run". I replied.
The main drain for this tank went straight down through what was now a mess room and contained the overalls lockers. The drains were blocked, and the 'ovvies' had now set sail.
Some puzzled faces on the Monday morning. Trying to make sense of wet workwear, tide marks and the odd dead stickleback.

Absolutely. There was a water tank on legs above that corner, you'll remember it. Pumped from the river at a guess, it had it's own microcosm. Flora, fauna and creatures small
and smaller.
This tank became unused . Norfolk bar had gone(?) and part of it was used as parking and workshops. One particular day, someone inspected the tank and in their unofficial
capacity of eco saviour decided action was needed.
"It's gerrin a bit full wi' t rain. If it overflows them little fish will die. Let's open valve and drain some watter out".
And he did.
After a while we decided to have a look around the building underneath. Just in case, like.
Looked through the glass in the first door, only to see a two foot high wave heading towards me.
"Oreyt?"
"Run". I replied.
The main drain for this tank went straight down through what was now a mess room and contained the overalls lockers. The drains were blocked, and the 'ovvies' had now set sail.
Some puzzled faces on the Monday morning. Trying to make sense of wet workwear, tide marks and the odd dead stickleback.
Great story Benn and I do indeed remember the water tank.
This obviously happened after my time (left early 78), but typical of some of the stuff that went off there over the years.
Somebody ought to write a book on anecdotal tales of Firth Browns, I could contribute one or two.....and no doubt you've a few more like this one 🙂.

Great story Benn and I do indeed remember the water tank.
This obviously happened after my time (left early 78), but typical of some of the stuff that went off there over the years.
Somebody ought to write a book on anecdotal tales of Firth Browns, I could contribute one or two.....and no doubt you've a few more like this one 🙂.
Still know a couple of blokes who are still there. Well it's ATI or something, American owned.
45 years my mate has been a Fitter there.

Reactions: LSF
Yep, me too! Mickey Stewart?
That's him. Decent footballer too, although he's from the dark side.
Ask him about the time he played against Lineker, and the Wembley trip to see the Brazil'82 team - in 1981.

That's him. Decent footballer too, although he's from the dark side.
Ask him about the time he played against Lineker, and the Wembley trip to see the Brazil'82 team - in 1981.
I will! Still see him occasionally at the Firth Brown reunions we have 3 or 4 times a year.

Back
Top Bottom