Oh Really, Vinicius?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For all our city's faults, I always thought the night life was decent. Then again, I don't get out that much these days....

I recently went out with a younger friend around West Street. Seems like everyone out is under the age of 18 who likes to vape and drink in gym attire but that's just me getting old maybe.

That's not a gennel. That's an old railway line.
Some may consider this pedantic, but not me, which is fine then.

This is true, but I could only actually think of 4, and I didn't want to look shit after challenging our newly signed Brazilian midfielder on his knowledge of narrow Sheffield walkways.

The one going from West Street down to Trippet Lane, or Tramp Blanket Alley as we called it. On a night out, one of us found an old blanket and threw it over my other mate’s head. In my drunkenness it made my laugh so hard I threw up.

This is true, but I could only actually think of 4, and I didn't want to look shit after challenging our newly signed Brazilian midfielder on his knowledge of narrow Sheffield walkways.
One off Yew Lane formed part of our cross country course, leading on to the fields and then over to Whitley. Normally in football boots.

I’ve lived in Wakefield for the last 15 years; the other week I caught myself saying the word “ginnell”.
Selling Ndiaye and Berge is God’s way of punishing me.

Just don't tell me you've started saying 'Bratfud' or we lose Anel next.

I'm taking him for a few pints in the Forty Foot on Friday night. Blades shirts and steel toecaps on.
Reyt night.
See you all Saturday!
utb

I recently went out with a younger friend around West Street. Seems like everyone out is under the age of 18 who likes to vape and drink in gym attire but that's just me getting old maybe.

I suspect it's the same in most places now mate, but I don't claim to be an expert these days.

Tasker Rd to Cross Lane, Crookes. Did it daily as a kid, walking to King Ted’s at Crosspool. There is (or was) a dry cleaning business part way along the route, the exhaust fumes used to make your head hurt if you stood outside it too long

1691613721018.png

Tasker Rd to Cross Lane, Crookes. Did it daily as a kid, walking to King Ted’s at Crosspool. There is (or was) a dry cleaning business part way along the route, the exhaust fumes used to make your head hurt if you stood outside it too long

View attachment 167777
Not quite a gennel, but the path from Marsh Lane, Crosspool to Crookes. Spent hours down there as a kid, how I didnt get bummed I’ll never know.

My old ma used to call one near us 'The 8 foot'. Never heard anyone else say that until now.
There’s a pub on Halifax road called the eight foot way. That’s the only reason I knew. Who knew pubs could be educational eh?

What happened to the fish in the hole in the road?

View attachment 167777
We're you standing there on purpose? Is getting high on dry cleaning fumes a thing? :)

They were always called gennels when I was growing up. Must be a Sheffield thing, as nobody knows what you’re talking about anywhere else - especially in Deepest Darkest Dorset!

Back
Top Bottom