Now the dust as settled

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It appears the big investment into the company the Prince mentioned recently has fallen by the way side
Why say these things and then they don’t happen, better to announce when the contract has been signed

Yeah, I get the impression further investment/sponsor fell through or is delayed.

Now the dust has settled I would say Carlton's theory that PA being told to back away is also very plausible.

Football has changed. Most of today’s “managers” are coaches with the running of the football club down to others within the club who are better qualified. It is ridiculous to think of one person running the whole club. The days of Fergusson and Wenger are gone But even those two recognise the coaching staff need refreshing every few years Both got through a fair number of assistants. Essentially these two were the for runners of Directors of Football. This Director of Football role is about long term sustainability and planning while being able to change the first team coach when necessary either because of results or to refresh. Clubs realise that they will change their manager every two on average but they cannot change their whole squad in line with this. What I hope was implied by what was said yesterday is that Hecky will be now or in the future a kind of DoF setting the team and club structure with increasing amounts of day to day coaching down to others This is where Mc Call fits in He said in an Athlecti article last month that he wants to coach not manage. I would be pleased if that is the outcome It would certainly explain the length of Hecky’s contract.

I'm all for bringing the kids through, however you can't just chuck them into the men's team and expect them to perform, the step up is huge. It's an extreme example but what did Pep do with Foden, he gradually introduced him, holding him back and he grew into the team, now he's an exceptional player with ability far higher but I think there's a relevance. Ndiaye struggled with cramp because he wasn't ready for 90 mins of men's football, brilliant player but as we've seen sometimes goes missing, he's still learning. But hey the Prince thinks we can just throw the kids in and it'll work.

I'll back Hecky, because I support my team through thick, thin and thinner, but I worry what's ahead

Watched the whole press conference last night (mainly to get to sleep).

A big positive to take firstly is that Heckingbottom's remit as "Football Manager" (despite the performative outrage that went with what was a reasonable statement from Jim Royle) suggests he will be left to get on with the job and get the footballing operations singing off the same hymn sheet, developing a clear pathway for youth and hopefully a style of play for which we can recruit the right players. It also suggests that the Prince or his representatives (other than Bettis) won't be meddling in football affairs.

Also taking the horrendously worded soundbite that "he won't be judged on what happens on a Saturday" suggests he will be given time to get things right and build something. McCall is also a good appointment as coach.

That's where the positives end for me though. The reasons for appointing and then firing Slav were nonsensical and they were hiding behind business buzzwords. Its ultimately down to money and a lack of it so they've created an elaborate smokescreen in terms of the new structure which will always be doomed to fail unless there is further investment in the short term.

Also with regard to the structure.......are we not back to the supposedly unsustainable structure we had with Wilder? One man in charge of footballing affairs with transfers agreed by a committee?

The Prince and his team just seem to be repeating all the mistakes that McCabe made:

Sacking a proven Championship manager for a supposedly bigger name then shitting themselves and going for a cheaper option

Overselling the benefits of a network of insignificant clubs all round the world

Committing to a 5 year plan and financial "sustainability" which results in the managed decline of the playing side through year on year cost cutting til you have a group of players who you cant move on, supplemented with free transfers and loans, who ultimately end up not good enough for Championship football.

Putting emphasis on youth off the back of a decent crop of youngsters, assuming this to be a never ending well of talent (even when most of which are nowhere near first team ready).

The whole thing has blown my mind.

Watched the whole press conference last night (mainly to get to sleep).

A big positive to take firstly is that Heckingbottom's remit as "Football Manager" (despite the performative outrage that went with what was a reasonable statement from Jim Royle) suggests he will be left to get on with the job and get the footballing operations singing off the same hymn sheet, developing a clear pathway for youth and hopefully a style of play for which we can recruit the right players. It also suggests that the Prince or his representatives (other than Bettis) won't be meddling in football affairs.

Also taking the horrendously worded soundbite that "he won't be judged on what happens on a Saturday" suggests he will be given time to get things right and build something. McCall is also a good appointment as coach.

That's where the positives end for me though. The reasons for appointing and then firing Slav were nonsensical and they were hiding behind business buzzwords. Its ultimately down to money and a lack of it so they've created an elaborate smokescreen in terms of the new structure which will always be doomed to fail unless there is further investment in the short term.

Also with regard to the structure.......are we not back to the supposedly unsustainable structure we had with Wilder? One man in charge of footballing affairs with transfers agreed by a committee?

The Prince and his team just seem to be repeating all the mistakes that McCabe made:

Sacking a proven Championship manager for a supposedly bigger name then shitting themselves and going for a cheaper option

Overselling the benefits of a network of insignificant clubs all round the world

Committing to a 5 year plan and financial "sustainability" which results in the managed decline of the playing side through year on year cost cutting til you have a group of players who you cant move on, supplemented with free transfers and loans, who ultimately end up not good enough for Championship football.

Putting emphasis on youth off the back of a decent crop of youngsters, assuming this to be a never ending well of talent (even when most of which are nowhere near first team ready).

The whole thing has blown my mind.
Good post mate.

Well, it's a bold as brass move which will go one of two ways. We'll either plummet uncontrollably or we'll start winning and climbing the table. I don't know which and I suspect neither the gobshite Yank nor Hecky knows either. We'll get a taste of what's to come on Sunday so, until then, this is JBII, on the fence, with splinters in his arse.

I'm all for bringing the kids through, however you can't just chuck them into the men's team and expect them to perform, the step up is huge. It's an extreme example but what did Pep do with Foden, he gradually introduced him, holding him back and he grew into the team, now he's an exceptional player with ability far higher but I think there's a relevance. Ndiaye struggled with cramp because he wasn't ready for 90 mins of men's football, brilliant player but as we've seen sometimes goes missing, he's still learning. But hey the Prince thinks we can just throw the kids in and it'll work.

I'll back Hecky, because I support my team through thick, thin and thinner, but I worry what's ahead
Unless the kids are good enough and highly talented this plan will fail in a division like the Championship
We tried it years ago with Ironside and a load of others suddenly thrown into the first team, I think we got relegated end of that season
Usually if you can integrate one player from the academy each season into the first team that would be deemed a success

I must admit I was shocked when I saw the Slav news yesterday, but I am not sad that he;s left. His heart hasn't been in it and he's a different guy to the one we saw at Fulham and Watford.

Considering the state of the club I am happier with Hecky who can work with what he's got, than Slav who needs something. We were told that he was hired and would continue with the squad he had inheritted and the formation, but he has tried to shoehorn numerous different ones with strange personnel choices at times.

If we can get some wages off in January that's not a problem as we have players who are not contributing anyway. Berge, McBurnie, Moose, Freeman, Burke, Robinson, Verrips, Guedioura without actually weakening the team.

If I would send Olsen, Davies and Houlihane back if possible. That looks to be a lot of wages for little outcome.

Now the dust as settled. Personally, I feel worse, the more I think about it the more I worry there is worse to come. Got more questions than answers.
To me it sounds like Hecky got a letter from a long lost Aunty saying you’ve just been left a big old house , problem is , it’s in a state of disrepair , got huge running costs and the staff ain’t been paid for months. The Butler running the place as buggered off ( Foreigner he was, and no interest at all in taking this job on) and now it’s been looked after by the Gardener. But don’t worry there are a few bits of treasure hanging about that could be of value , and round the back we have a few young Chickens and a hen house , of course you can always use the eggs to feed the staff or maybe sell off some of the young chicks to feed the staff.
Aunty is in no doubt Hecky that you are the man for the job and won’t be judged on a weekly basis , even if the house collapses or becomes unsaleable. Another thing Paul, the land it’s built on is owned by Tesco. Their plan is to build a big Fxxk off distribution centre which will totally mess things up if we ever get any visitors again.
OH, by the way, please stay away from the garage , it’s unsafe and got a great big Fxxk off hole in the roof. I was warned about this by the previous Butler but chose not to listen as I thought he had got too big for his boots so showed him the Back door.
That’s all for now Paul, must dash my flights just been called, any problems I’ve left 10p on the big mantle piece, that way you can call someone who gives a FXXK.
Your loving Aunty.
Dear Paul.
Ever so sorry to abort my last letter so quickly, I did explain about the property but didn't have time to explain about the staffing issues.
Firstly, about the 3 treasures in the house, a couple of years ago I paid over 60 million pounds for them, I recently took them to Antiques Roadshow for a valuation where the only answer I got was " Get the Fxxk arter ere" so the best advice I got was put them on Ebay on a 5 day auction and offer free P&P.
Regarding the rest of the staff ,most of them have been here since me and your Uncle Kevin got divorced, do you remember him , I literally had his pants down and he didn't take it too well so don't go asking him for advice.
You may well have to off load most of the staff because a couple of years ago I was getting 32 to 34 thousand punters a week and paying the staff handsomely, but alas the Golden Goose as flown and you may have to let some go to balance the old books.
Firstly I would let go,
Lys, the Chauffeur . 3 times he's twatted the Roller, and cook says he comes down every night raiding the fridge, that will save you 50 quid a week minimum.
David, love him and he looks after the cattle, plays a mean banjo , you'll find him down by the barn doors trying to get the cows in by hitting them on the arse with his banjo, but sadly all too often he misses.
Then there's Oliver, the carpark attendent, he was fantastic when we where getting 32000 punters, he would point them all over the place, this corner, that corner , point them anywhere and everywhere, but sadly you may not need him if the punters stop coming.
Now Enda & Jud the 2 servants ,these 2 came recommended by the previous Butler and where fantastic at the beginning, ring my bell and they would fly up and down the East & West wings, but alas I think they are missing their old boss, they just stroll down the wings now and invariably have nothing to serve when they get here.
Finally William, been here since God was a lad and deserves a statue erecting in his honour, master of ceremony, party planner, maybe a keeper just in case you have anything to celebrate in your 5 years of your upcoming management.
Good luck Paul,
Your ever loving Aunt.

Dear Paul.
Ever so sorry to abort my last letter so quickly, I did explain about the property but didn't have time to explain about the staffing issues.
Firstly, about the 3 treasures in the house, a couple of years ago I paid over 60 million pounds for them, I recently took them to Antiques Roadshow for a valuation where the only answer I got was " Get the Fxxk arter ere" so the best advice I got was put them on Ebay on a 5 day auction and offer free P&P.
Regarding the rest of the staff ,most of them have been here since me and your Uncle Kevin got divorced, do you remember him , I literally had his pants down and he didn't take it too well so don't go asking him for advice.
You may well have to off load most of the staff because a couple of years ago I was getting 32 to 34 thousand punters a week and paying the staff handsomely, but alas the Golden Goose as flown and you may have to let some go to balance the old books.
Firstly I would let go,
Lys, the Chauffeur . 3 times he's twatted the Roller, and cook says he comes down every night raiding the fridge, that will save you 50 quid a week minimum.
David, love him and he looks after the cattle, plays a mean banjo , you'll find him down by the barn doors trying to get the cows in by hitting them on the arse with his banjo, but sadly all too often he misses.
Then there's Oliver, the carpark attendent, he was fantastic when we where getting 32000 punters, he would point them all over the place, this corner, that corner , point them anywhere and everywhere, but sadly you may not need him if the punters stop coming.
Now Enda & Jud the 2 servants ,these 2 came recommended by the previous Butler and where fantastic at the beginning, ring my bell and they would fly up and down the East & West wings, but alas I think they are missing their old boss, they just stroll down the wings now and invariably have nothing to serve when they get here.
Finally William, been here since God was a lad and deserves a statue erecting in his honour, master of ceremony, party planner, maybe a keeper just in case you have anything to celebrate in your 5 years of your upcoming management.
Good luck Paul,
Your ever loving Aunt.

I smell a rat here - there's not really an auntie is there?!

New Money?? I guess the hope is that Brewster, McBurnie and Berg regain their form so we can re-coup their fees next summer and then buy the best of League One for the re-build. Unfortunately, about as likely as us gaining promotion.

I smell a rat here - there's not really an auntie is there?!
No, no Aunty, the whole saga though sounds like Heckys had a old dilapidated Auntie's house and estate dumped on him and everyone's buggered off , and if you need a hand, don't call me. See you in 5 years..

I must admit I was shocked when I saw the Slav news yesterday, but I am not sad that he;s left. His heart hasn't been in it and he's a different guy to the one we saw at Fulham and Watford.

Considering the state of the club I am happier with Hecky who can work with what he's got, than Slav who needs something. We were told that he was hired and would continue with the squad he had inheritted and the formation, but he has tried to shoehorn numerous different ones with strange personnel choices at times.

If we can get some wages off in January that's not a problem as we have players who are not contributing anyway. Berge, McBurnie, Moose, Freeman, Burke, Robinson, Verrips, Guedioura without actually weakening the team.

If I would send Olsen, Davies and Houlihane back if possible. That looks to be a lot of wages for little outcome.

So you want to send Davies back but play 3 at the back? Fantastic, sure that will work well. Do you not remember Robinson playing at CB?

Now the dust has settled. Will United still play on Saturday and Tuesday? Yes. Will the pubs be open before and after? Yes. Will my mates still be going? Yes. Will we still be playing in red and white? Yes. I don't think we'll go down this season, next season who knows? As long as there's a team to get behind/criticise it's really all ok.
Sunday, Monday and Wednesday home games coming up ..... ummmm?

Back
Top Bottom