Now get Billy back!

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why? What are his coaching credentials?
he has a very success football academy & as 1 of the best English goalscorers of the last 15 years & the best striker the majority of us have seen. his advice to McBurnie, Archer, Brewster & Osula would be invaluable

he has a very success football academy & as 1 of the best English goalscorers of the last 15 years & the best striker the majority of us have seen. his advice to McBurnie, Archer, Brewster & Osula would be invaluable
How many professional players have emerged from his very successful football academy? I honestly don’t know, but what criteria are you using to define it as very successful? And does he employ coaches or does he do it all himself?

He’s been a very good Championship & League 1 player. But being a good player doesn’t qualify anyone as being a good coach. There are countless examples to prove that point.

I give you Sir Bobby Charlton……

OK, what would he say to anyone but Archer that he wouldn't have said while he was already at the club?

OK, what would he say to anyone but Archer that he wouldn't have said while he was already at the club?
I’ll go with you lot were supposed to dispose me 4 feckin years ago and I’m still #1 😃.

UTB

Given the "amount of success " we have had over the last 30 years it amazes me that many seem to think the way forward is to hire as many ex Blades as possible.

Has it ever occurred to 'us' that this could be a part of the problem and that we might need to broaden our horizons a little ?

Seems a fair point but history shows over and over when ever we show ambition, spent big money on managers and try some different we fail.

Examples are Robson/ Kidd duo, Adkin’s and Jukanovic.

OK, let me rephrase that as to what would he say that would be constructive?
Constructive you say ?

I’ll go with the same quote. And with venom while eyeball to eyeball with the 2 particular sicknotes in question !!!

UTB

Ps - to be clear - I believe Bill should now finish his career in Champ / L1 / L2 and play as many games as his legs will allow. I don’t want him back.

Constructive you say ?

I’ll go with the same quote. And with venom while eyeball to eyeball with the 2 particular sicknotes in question !!!

UTB

You bring in a coach because you want them to improve the players. If I was a professional footballer, and I thought I had insight for a player at my own club, I would be sharing it at the time. Sharp seems like a professional, so would have done that already, hence there is zero reason to think he can tell anything new, constructive or helpful to anyone at the club outside of Archer, who wasn't at the club. At the same time as Sharp. The only reason you would bring him in is to shit on McBurnie... oh wait, I'm talking to Dronnie. Can see why you want him in now, case closed

English exceptionalism at its finest. Laughable, isn’t it.

What English players have lacked is professionalism, especially with dietary and preparation stuff. Apparently, it is ok for players to unwind with a few beers because heart, desire and pashun will overcome everything. What a sad culture.

It has improved a lot over the years but a mistrust of “forriners” and their fancy (but successful) ways still persists in some quarters.
Aye
The cunts are now even better @ rowing & sailing than us - Redgrave & Nelson woud be mortified

You bring in a coach because you want them to improve the players. If I was a professional footballer, and I thought I had insight for a player at my own club, I would be sharing it at the time. Sharp seems like a professional, so would have done that already, hence there is zero reason to think he can tell anything new, constructive or helpful to anyone at the club outside of Archer, who wasn't at the club. At the same time as Sharp. The only reason you would bring him in is to shit on McBurnie... oh wait, I'm talking to Dronnie. Can see why you want him in now, case closed
While politely refusing the obvious tap in here, we are in need of a target man. One that can be relied upon to retain the ball at the top of the pitch and bring his teammates in to play. Not with hopeful / hopeless balls played in at 100 mph and 10 ft in the air, but with purpose in to a striker that can actually do this.

Sharp would, IMHO, be our best option of ALL the strikers on our books to achieve this. None of the others have demonstrated any sort of aptitude for this very important aspect of a CFs job.

The amount of possession turnover we incur WHENEVER the ball is currently played in to any of McB, Archer, Osula. Jeb, Beni is alarming. It makes life so much harder when the ball just comes straight back 80/90 percent of the time.

He isn’t the answer in the PL. For sure on that so I can agree with others. I don’t actually want him back fwiw. Seems pointless for all concerned.

UTB

Derf doesn’t answer he lobs a grenade in then legs it
Derf (Fred) has been out all day since posting this, celebrating his 70th birthday and just got back in.
I take nothing back and have been speaking about this to my family Blades who think i am either a genius or fucking brain dead.
Time will tell.😌

How many professional players have emerged from his very successful football academy? I honestly don’t know, but what criteria are you using to define it as very successful? And does he employ coaches or does he do it all himself?

He’s been a very good Championship & League 1 player. But being a good player doesn’t qualify anyone as being a good coach. There are countless examples to prove that point.
His academy has been running a couple of years and doesn’t go up to the older age groups. It’s basically a way of monetising the “Billy Sharp’ brand.

He employs coaches and coaches himself as well. They have started some teams and are trying to act as a bridge between grassroots and academies, the trouble is there are tonnes of companies trying to do the same.

They play Saturdays as he’s conscious not to impact on already successful grassroots clubs in the local area. He coaches his son’s grassroots teams as well but outside of this venture.

In my opinion there are a lot of grassroots Saturday teams who would beat his academy teams but a lot of parents like the brand and the Billy factor so send their kids for that reason.

His academy has been running a couple of years and doesn’t go up to the older age groups. It’s basically a way of monetising the “Billy Sharp’ brand.

He employs coaches and coaches himself as well. They have started some teams and are trying to act as a bridge between grassroots and academies, the trouble is there are tonnes of companies trying to do the same.

They play Saturdays as he’s conscious not to impact on already successful grassroots clubs in the local area. He coaches his son’s grassroots teams as well but outside of this venture.

In my opinion there are a lot of grassroots Saturday teams who would beat his academy teams but a lot of parents like the brand and the Billy factor so send their kids for that reason.
Thanks, interesting and informative response.

So if they play on Saturdays and competitive grassroots teams play on Sundays who do they actually play against?

So if they play on Saturdays and competitive grassroots teams play on Sundays who do they actually play against?
Well…..
I hesitate to go with the obvious, but, given the return of the Messiah …….
I was at a game last weekend & noticed 11 (subsequently 10) that should be available as opponents (sic) every Satdi’ for the foreseeable future

Seems a fair point but history shows over and over when ever we show ambition, spent big money on managers and try some different we fail.

Examples are Robson/ Kidd duo, Adkin’s and Jukanovic.
Howard Kendall did ok even pissed he did ok and Nigel Spackman who was supplied with the best team in the division had playing beautiful fottball and had us in a position to win the league ...... until. So over 30 years we really haven't shown that much ambition more pulled the rug on it. Robson was a stupid none football knowledge bit of recruitment Adkin's was, at that time a the best CV out there for us and Slav was duped into the job and not allowed to inject the project he wanted or the players he had targeted and promised he could have ( within reason).

I think when you look back the failure is with the people at the top making false promises and bad football decisions

Grassroots play both days but I think they mainly have friendlies against other similar types of ‘academy’ and local grassroots sides when they can. The Sheffield Junior League is Sundays so I think he avoids that so as not to annoy the coaches of the teams where a lot of his customers come from.

Back
Top Bottom