Not Again and again and again.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes its a shame that the prize for coming thro the slog of a championship season successfully is to have to play against all those cheating bastards who play there . To me it takes a special sort of person to cheat so openly with the eyes of the world watching , it makes me fucking sick , i struggle to watch a full game now . The refs have the power to help things improve but wont apply the rules properly , you have to think they are scared of upsetting someone …..
They’re not named and shamed, that’s the issue. Why don’t players get interviewed about chucking themselves on the floor?

“what was all that about then? You got up 30 seconds later and took the free kick.”

There are no consequences. It is all about winning. Pack the midfield. Don’t give any chances away, don’t take risks. The Championship has some of these things but is broadly entertaining football and that’s what I want.

It’s why I want to go up. The last couple of years have been great and they were funded by our time in the PL. that and the face we took on so many of the big boys and they were fucking terrified of us. I enjoy watching my team rattle the established order.

We all want The Blades to be as successful as possible, absolutely, BUT that fucking VAR in the prem has always been contentious and frustrating but they are no better with it than our last foray in the Prem. Brighton had 2 goals chalked off and 2 deffo penalties denied, to disallow Welbecks goal was appalling.Then Brentfords 2nd pen was a bad decision too. The prem is great for the cash and kudos but never knowing if the team has scored,got a penalty or conceded one just leaves you baffled. Why can`t they get it right. Brighton and Newcastle will be getting an apology from Webb but what consolation is that if its cost your team points.
Not again again again…. another VAR thread…

Howard Webb has apparently apologised to Brighton saying they should have had a penalty. I wonder what he’s said to the referee, who may have missed it live, and the absolute idiot in the studio who missed it with the benefit of replays. Incompetence week in week out remains unpunished.

Howard Webb has apparently apologised to Brighton saying they should have had a penalty. I wonder what he’s said to the referee, who may have missed it live, and the absolute idiot in the studio who missed it with the benefit of replays. Incompetence week in week out remains unpunished.
Howard webbs job just seems to be to apologise for his referees

I don’t have a problem with VAR when it gets decisions like off side, penalties sending offs correct
The issue seems to be the panel making at times bizarre decisions that everybody can see are incorrect and the crazy hand ball rule which no one seems to have a clear understanding off

Come on, apart from the West Ham goal disallowed, VAR rimmed us all season. Not only useless, vibe-killing, it also feels corrupt. Always felt like they weren't looking for "clear and obvious mistakes" but looking for any pretext to disallow a goal against the Premier League elite, and any pretext to give penalties in favour of them, so it increased inequality rather than being a balancing factor.
Someone published a league table in our first PL season of who had benefitted/lost out from a VAR decision. Surprising nobody, Manchester United had benefited most, Sheffield United had been most penalised
Maybe next season, we should all celebrate like mad when we score and then boo continuously if they disallow it. Let the bastards know we are not happy about it
Still can't understand this "We got luck with VAR bollocks against West Ham"

It was the clearest handball ever, John Egan cleared the ball with a header that would have gone for a throw in if it didn't so obviously hit Declan Rice's hand and drop nicely in his path to score.

We didn't even get a lucky break that once, we got the correct decision.

The worst decision of the lot was the Newcastle game, Shelve runs through, linesman puts his flag up, everybody stops, Shelvey puts the ball in the net as a joke and turns around expecting a yellow card but is given the goal instead.

Whether he is offside or not isn't the issue, the linesman gave offside and everybody stopped.

And all our wet lettuce fans can say is "should have played to the whistle"

Should have played to the whistle ???? which is a metaphor for "play until a decision is given"

The linesman doesn't have a whistle, he has a flag, if he raises it, play stops

Might happen this season

(I can tell you now - it will be to the benefit of Everton)
If Howard Webb has to come on and take the decisive pen in that game then he will do it. He and the rest of the PGMOL will stop at nothing to try and protect the 'big' clubs. Yesterday just another example of it

I got asked yesterday if, hypothetically, you could get the premier league money for finishing second but stay in the championship would you do it? Have to say I flip flopped quite a bit in my reply.

Lets not forget the reason for VAR is because of the antics of the lying, cheating and juvenile thug players. Along with the coaching by managers who train squads how to foul, feign, fete and insult the referee. Surrounded by money men slathered by 24/7 rentaquote media fops desperate for the next "news", of yet more parasitical whining to bait the feral gobshites in the stadiums. Things would be better if they stopped giving VAR a decision to make, shake hands and return to the actual game they are paid to play.
Maybe physios should be neutral and part of the referee's team. Anyone who goes down injured is either removed from the pitch while they are treated, or the game continues around them. If the physios can't see a "clear and obvious" injury (ie something worthy of them going down and staying down) then it's 5 extra minutes in the sin bin.

I keep saying it but have VAR as a tool to be referred to BUT it has to be referred by the team captain. Then let everything else stay with the onfield decision. Takes away the clear and obvious rubbish too. Two referrals per side per game. Adds to the drama if you’ve wasted referrals and you concede an offside goal that’s missed.

There is so much money involved there are certain games that will be fixed. It happened back in the sixties when the rewards were a fraction of what they are now. So it will certainly be happening again. Referees aren't paid enough to turn a load of cash down when it's offered.
The game desperately needs an independent governing body to ensure it is clean.
Howard Webb coming out to say sorry, isn't good enough. Why can't they have ex players sat with the var referee to provide professional support.
It's the same with performance enhancing drugs, every other sport catches the cheats and makes the results public, but not football.
Every weekend there are approx 700 players involved in the top 4 tiers of English football, and not one gets done for taking drugs. You're having laugh.

Wait until we get to Wembley for the semi. Not only are we up against arguably one of the best teams in Europe, but VAR will be City’s 12th man knowing the whole world desperately want to see a Manchester derby final.
It’s almost like the money soaked game has corruption at its heart. Watch what happened to Brighton this weekend and find an alternative explanation.

I don’t have a problem with VAR when it gets decisions like off side, penalties sending offs correct
The issue seems to be the panel making at times bizarre decisions that everybody can see are incorrect and the crazy hand ball rule which no one seems to have a clear understanding off
Genuine question.. do you watch live games with VAR and have no problem with it?

I see we’ve found something to moan about going up, already.
Nah, it's a big one to be fair.
It's certainly not moaning for moaning sake.
It kills the game and the atmosphere, without that...what do we even enjoy really?
You need something to aim for, and we certainly need the money, but I'd happily keep battling in the Championship if it meant no VAR.

VAR would be better if it was more like the review system in cricket. Each team gets to ask for one review a game and there is an allowable margin of error for offsides to stay as the infield call to account for the fact its never 100% clear. If you get your review right you keep it, if not you lose it.

VAR would be better if it was more like the review system in cricket. Each team gets to ask for one review a game and there is an allowable margin of error for offsides to stay as the infield call to account for the fact its never 100% clear. If you get your review right you keep it, if not you lose it.

Or like tennis. 3 challenges per team in the game then 1 extra if its an FA cup game going to extra time. Although if VAR is staying which looks to be the case they can't just have it on then off for random FA cup and League cup fixtures.

There needs to be affordable ways of implementing VAR across the leagues and simplifying it. I still think some sort of sideline TV screen review by the the 4th official and if needed the option for them to call the ref over to review the footage is the way. A remote room seems to make decision making take even longer.

Maybe even add a time limit to their decision making. If they can't decide offside or a sending off within 2 or 3 minutes of reviewing the footage then the original decision by the ref stands. No more drawing lines and seeing it from 500 angles.

Also, a complete overhaul of referees needs to be done from top to bottom. Any fuck ups despite even having video evidence to help needs to come under more scrutiny. No more meaningless apologies from Howard Webb, referees get a proper suspension the same a footballer would. If you make a clear and obvious error without correcting it then you serve a ban of so many matches.

The standard of refs needs to improve maybe by encouraging former players to become officials may help. Ideally players that have played at a high level.

Might happen this season

(I can tell you now - it will be to the benefit of Everton)
That game has basically ensured Spurs finish above Brighton. Brighton battered them, had two goal disallowed, one for handball which many say shoulder and had a pen turned down which Webb confirms. Would have put them 1 point behind Spurs with 2 in hand. Now 7 behind.

Always the same. Just now there is more visibility and you get an apology.

Perhaps Brighton can show the apology letter to UEFA when they are making the Conference or Europa League draws next season?

If it weren't for that Lundstram's toe nonsense, we would have been in with a shout the last match despite the global pandemic fucking up our form.

You'd have hoped that 4, yes 4 seasons in, VAR might have improved, even if just fractionally. Unfortunately we are seeing that any system is only as good as the people who oversee it, and quite frankly the vast majority of our officials don't even understand their own rules, and those in the VAR centre are simply unwilling to overturn (and therefore expose) blatantly poor decisions made by their on-field colleagues.

We need to go up to survive, but fuck me even if we compete, it's going to be a shitshow of decisions for us next season.

The var will now go completely under the radar while the media go hysterical over the Robertson/ linesman non event

For us the consolation is money. Sadly without it we are in a poor position.
That I’m sorry to say is the top and bottom of it.

If we don’t go up, fire sales and back to the Adkin’s years could well be in our future.

We’re looking good to go up, but it’s important we get this over the line.

VAR is a great idea poorly executed

That I’m sorry to say is the top and bottom of it.

If we don’t go up, fire sales and back to the Adkin’s years could well be in our future.

We’re looking good to go up, but it’s important we get this over the line.

VAR is a great idea poorly executed
Your last sentence is spot on. Why is it so difficult to use it properly ?
The phrase “clear and obvious” seems to have been lost in a fog of detail.

One of many things that has started to turn me off football, maybe it's a little bit that I'm getting older too

Don't get me wrong my interest in watching the blades, and the passion has never faded for my club, but I struggle to watch any games we aren't involved in anymore, I've switched off so many games over the last few years.

It's a combination of VAR, simulation, rolling around like they have been shot, but I really detest every time a foul is given several players surrounding referees, get rid of VAR, straight reds for simulation and diving, yellow card immediately for anyone getting in the refs face

It's become such a frustrating game to watch, maybe I'm getting old but it just doesn't feel the same anymore
You are not on your own, I feel exactly the same, I would also add the stupid KO times, zero consideration for the fans.

Back
Top Bottom