Not Again and again and again.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Kop Cat

Reaction score
We all want The Blades to be as successful as possible, absolutely, BUT that fucking VAR in the prem has always been contentious and frustrating but they are no better with it than our last foray in the Prem. Brighton had 2 goals chalked off and 2 deffo penalties denied, to disallow Welbecks goal was appalling.Then Brentfords 2nd pen was a bad decision too. The prem is great for the cash and kudos but never knowing if the team has scored,got a penalty or conceded one just leaves you baffled. Why can`t they get it right. Brighton and Newcastle will be getting an apology from Webb but what consolation is that if its cost your team points.

We all want The Blades to be as successful as possible, absolutely, BUT that fucking VAR in the prem has always been contentious and frustrating but they are no better with it than our last foray in the Prem. Brighton had 2 goals chalked off and 2 deffo penalties denied, to disallow Welbecks goal was appalling.Then Brentfords 2nd pen was a bad decision too. The prem is great for the cash and kudos but never knowing if the team has scored,got a penalty or conceded one just leaves you baffled. Why can`t they get it right. Brighton and Newcastle will be getting an apology from Webb but what consolation is that if its cost your team points.
For us the consolation is money. Sadly without it we are in a poor position.

One of many things that has started to turn me off football, maybe it's a little bit that I'm getting older too

Don't get me wrong my interest in watching the blades, and the passion has never faded for my club, but I struggle to watch any games we aren't involved in anymore, I've switched off so many games over the last few years.

It's a combination of VAR, simulation, rolling around like they have been shot, but I really detest every time a foul is given several players surrounding referees, get rid of VAR, straight reds for simulation and diving, yellow card immediately for anyone getting in the refs face

It's become such a frustrating game to watch, maybe I'm getting old but it just doesn't feel the same anymore

One of many things that has started to turn me off football, maybe it's a little bit that I'm getting older too

Don't get me wrong my interest in watching the blades, and the passion has never faded for my club, but I struggle to watch any games we aren't involved in anymore, I've switched off so many games over the last few years.

It's a combination of VAR, simulation, rolling around like they have been shot, but I really detest every time a foul is given several players surrounding referees, get rid of VAR, straight reds for simulation and diving, yellow card immediately for anyone getting in the refs face

It's become such a frustrating game to watch, maybe I'm getting old but it just doesn't feel the same anymore

That sums up my exact thoughts too. Outside of the Blades, I’m not even sure football is my favourite sport anymore.

Its not even VAR that really gets me, its the absolute morons in charge of it. All VAR is doing is shining a spotlight on the complete ineptitude of the officials. They havent even got the excuse of “oh well the game moves fast these days” or “his view might be blocked” there are cameras watching every single thing thats going on and they still struggle to come to consistent decisions.

They’ve made a complete balls up of introducing VAR into the Premier League yet the PGMOL just wash their hands of any responsibility. It’s fucking bonkers how they manage to get it so wrong so often.

With absolute howlers in the championship it annoys me but I get over it.

Every single game and moment in the premier league there's a "oh hang on" when celebrating. Had it during the Doyle screamer in the cup too.
If we had been used to VAR, the Miller goal against Fulham in 2014 wouldn't have been so crazy reactions usually, I check the lino first but that I went over god knows how many rows. Great fun.

If there's a good, exciting game I'll watch. I don't just watch because it's on anymore

This is a big part of why I mostly watch non-league these days. Yes, there’s still plenty of shit-housing and the officiating is often dreadful, but it’s easier to stomach when the best paid player on the field is only getting £250 a week and the officials are in the clubhouse after the game and will happily explain/justify their decisions.

Apart from watching the Blades, I’m only really interested in watching non-league football. Which, to its credit, keeps my passion for the game alive. Maybe the football isn’t the best, but it’s not too bad and has much less of the things you describe.

This is a big part of why I mostly watch non-league these days. Yes, there’s still plenty of shit-housing and the officiating is often dreadful, but it’s easier to stomach when the best paid player on the field is only getting £250 a week and the officials are in the clubhouse after the game and will happily explain/justify their decisions.
You posted this as I was typing my non-league post!

I have to be extremely bored these days to watch a Premier league game, i'd much rather watch a lower league contest. The premier league is becoming more and more like the WWE, its less about the actual sport and more about the drama and they use VAR as part of that to fit the narrative

Definitely an age thing combined with VAR , love the Blades but total lack of interest in anything else football related.

Totally agree mate and I’m probably not even as old as you (guessing from what you write). I watch England’s tournament games then one or two other games a season probably, other than our games.

The most frustrating thing is they could fix it all so easily. I’m sick and tired of hearing about “Respect” and “Kick it out”. They are toothless campaigns so overpaid FA suits can play to the gallery.

I used to watch a lot of Aussie Rules and that sport is set up properly. Abuse an umpire and it’s a free kick and it’s moved forward 50m immediately. Diving is instantly punished. If players step out of line, e.g. violent conduct or in their personal lives, often AFL action is irrelevant because their club has already demoted them to the reserves and hailed them in front of the club’s leadership group, which is players only.

There’s still honour in that sport. English football has become about winning at all costs.

Take the money, get relegated, go back up, get relegated, take the money, go back up, take the money, go back up.
Sign no one.
Just spend everything extending and modernising the stadium, bribing parents of the best young players, and rebuild the academy and other infrastructure.

Media slags us off because they aren't clever enough to do anything else except find a Northern club to slag off.

Wait until we get to Wembley for the semi. Not only are we up against arguably one of the best teams in Europe, but VAR will be City’s 12th man knowing the whole world desperately want to see a Manchester derby final.

Championship games are often more entertaining on TV than Premier League ones because it's usually more of a contest.

That depends. If you will watch, say, the most recent TV game, namely an oil club against Southampton, you will get the football equivalent of Tyson Fury against Greta Thunberg. The Pool/Arse game later might be slightly closer

Totally agree mate and I’m probably not even as old as you (guessing from what you write). I watch England’s tournament games then one or two other games a season probably, other than our games.

The most frustrating thing is they could fix it all so easily. I’m sick and tired of hearing about “Respect” and “Kick it out”. They are toothless campaigns so overpaid FA suits can play to the gallery.

I used to watch a lot of Aussie Rules and that sport is set up properly. Abuse an umpire and it’s a free kick and it’s moved forward 50m immediately. Diving is instantly punished. If players step out of line, e.g. violent conduct or in their personal lives, often AFL action is irrelevant because their club has already demoted them to the reserves and hailed them in front of the club’s leadership group, which is players only.

There’s still honour in that sport. English football has become about winning at all costs.

Yes its a shame that the prize for coming thro the slog of a championship season successfully is to have to play against all those cheating bastards who play there . To me it takes a special sort of person to cheat so openly with the eyes of the world watching , it makes me fucking sick , i struggle to watch a full game now . The refs have the power to help things improve but wont apply the rules properly , you have to think they are scared of upsetting someone …..

Those days, brilliant. Playing one match and the ball 100% went out for a goal kick. One of their players went to retrieve the ball which had gone maybes 20 yard away. He came back with the ball and the ref shouts" You can have a corner for that" Que mayhem and laughter. Brilliant.

Swings and roundabouts for me.

The amount of important goals over the years that shouldn't have stood made me not too negative about the introduction.

The problem is in my mind, for it to be truly justified, it has to be pretty much foolproof.

Even having it work more often than not, isn't enough for me.

I don't think some of the laws of the game are that helpful when it comes to interpreting incidents but after nearly 4 years of it now, the mistakes yesterday were unacceptable imho.

I thought it bad enough that it was deemed understandable that Tierney saw the ball clearly over line and did absolutely nothing as it was 'unprecedented' that Hawkeye didn't work (or wasn't on maybe!)

However, it's primary job still fails too often. It's laughable that assistants are told not to flag offsides but Canning (who in fairness is one of the best) can flag a handball that far away when it still looked inconclusive on replay.

Brighton were massively and unacceptably done over by the officials yesterday.

I'm no fan of people constantly blaming refs for everything, especially when it's one or two dubious decisions during a crap United performance. See plenty of it on here.

But yesterday went well beyond that. Staggering incompetence at best.

I've been a big opponent of VAR from the onset. It means you can't fully celebrate a goal when it goes in, which is the biggest joy in football.

VAR was supposed to be used to correct 'clear and obvious' errors. So why is it routinely used for potential errors that are neither clear nor obvious? Marginal, debatable offsides. Penalties re-taken and awarded retrospectively. Goals chalked off due to a debatable foul / offside in the buildup that the officials didn't flag.

I think VAR might still have a place in the game - for example to check if the ball fully crossed the line. But at the moment it's not fit for purpose.

Sadly, despite it being a failure they aren't going to get rid of it after all the investment in the technology. It's here to stay.

I see we’ve found something to moan about going up, already.
Come on, apart from the West Ham goal disallowed, VAR rimmed us all season. Not only useless, vibe-killing, it also feels corrupt. Always felt like they weren't looking for "clear and obvious mistakes" but looking for any pretext to disallow a goal against the Premier League elite, and any pretext to give penalties in favour of them, so it increased inequality rather than being a balancing factor.
Someone published a league table in our first PL season of who had benefitted/lost out from a VAR decision. Surprising nobody, Manchester United had benefited most, Sheffield United had been most penalised
Maybe next season, we should all celebrate like mad when we score and then boo continuously if they disallow it. Let the bastards know we are not happy about it

Lets not forget the reason for VAR is because of the antics of the lying, cheating and juvenile thug players. Along with the coaching by managers who train squads how to foul, feign, fete and insult the referee. Surrounded by money men slathered by 24/7 rentaquote media fops desperate for the next "news", of yet more parasitical whining to bait the feral gobshites in the stadiums. Things would be better if they stopped giving VAR a decision to make, shake hands and return to the actual game they are paid to play.

A day later but yeah Brighton you should have had a penalty. Imagine the shitstorm if this was the last game of the season and sent a team down.

Don’t mind the cash and kudos for a few seasons at least.

Back
Top Bottom