Norwood

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He was highly rated across Europe and some big clubs were said to be monitoring him at the time. 🤷‍♂️

His agent has been trying to get him a PL club for 2 and a half years.
Tottenham and Arsenal have been 'interested' since the summer of 2018, Sevilla were too apparently.

Agent talk is all it was.

Norwood would be a great quarter back for a dominant team, who don't get pressed.

Ball at his feet, lots of time to think and movement in front of him - a fantastic player.

Stick him in a team with little possession, who get pressed and hes a liability.

He literally cannot move whilst on the ball, if a player is near him or closes him down he doesn't have any ability to drop a shoulder or jink past and create a yard of pace. Sees a man, takes eye off the ball, shits his pants and loses it.

Worse still is out of possession, basically a red and white traffic cone. Average players go round him like he's not there without any skill or pace. Attempts at tackling are just embarrassing.

Like a lot of the squad was good at times last year, but on or off the ball simply physically not up to the pace of Premier League football.

Whilst I agree with you why was he considered to be top drawer last season. I suppose I could ask that question of most of the team?

Who called him 'top drawer' last season?

Can't recall any transfer bids for him.

Should be a squad player only next season. Time for us to bring in younger fresher players in the middle of the park for next seasons Championship campaign.

Just watched the highlights back. The start of the latter two of Spurs goals were identical. Norwood simply didn't control the ball, wether that be due to poor first touch or poor awareness and thinking he had space to take a heavy touch I don't know. He's not good enough at this level.

Norwood should never kick another ball for United at any level, we need to make the choice that Brighton and Fulham made two and three plus years ago.

He has. Literally last season.

And 22 months ago??
Last season and 18/19 we played with a de facto midfield 5 with wingbacks and/or centre halves pushed on. That gave Norwood, Fleck and Duffy/Lundstram/Berge much less space to cover. This season, and probably since lockdown, it's been identified that pushing the wingbacks back into a defensive 5 exposes the midfield three. Pretty much every side we've played against has done that and all bar three of them have beaten us. It doesn't necessarily mean that Norwood has become worse, all it means is that the strengths to his game (mainly passing) are nullifies by the lack of options and the weaknesses (mobility, physicality, defensive awareness) are exacerbated.

Wilder needs to get his head out of his arse and either switch to a 5-4-1 or drop the back three because the second half of the season will be just as bad if he doesn't.

The team talk for Spurs must have been pretty simple yesterday..... Put pressure on Norwood and he'll give you the ball. He's a big weak link against any team with any pace and ability to press.

Against the 2 Manchesters I wouldn't have him in the team, the problem is I don't know who else could play that position. Couple it with the lack of Egan next game and we're in the 'keeping the score respectable' territory before we've even kicked a ball.

It’s not his fault but he’s just that bit too slow for this level. No doubt he’ll shine again next year in the Championship. For now I’d like to see him move out of that central deep position if he has to play. Or we at least get some legs sat next to him.
I think we missed a trick and not switching to a 4-2-3-1 (or 4-2-2-1-1) formation..you could put legs alongside Norwood in the shape of Berge / Basham / Ampadu, the fullback can bomb on knowing there's cover in place, and more influential players such as Fleck would be higher up the park. You saw yesterday Fleck causes problems for opposition higher up the field (several runs from midfield were promising) and again he could play with the knowledge there's cover behind. JOC getting injured would knacker that plan as Egan aside no one else is strong enough at CB in a two.

I think we missed a trick and not switching to a 4-2-3-1 (or 4-2-2-1-1) formation..you could put legs alongside Norwood in the shape of Berge / Basham / Ampadu, the fullback can bomb on knowing there's cover in place, and more influential players such as Fleck would be higher up the park. You saw yesterday Fleck causes problems for opposition higher up the field (several runs from midfield were promising) and again he could play with the knowledge there's cover behind. JOC getting injured would knacker that plan as Egan aside no one else is strong enough at CB in a two.
yeah the only way i can see Norwood surviving is having a double pivot.

yeah the only way i can see Norwood surviving is having a double pivot.
It would also ensure that when he does have the ball he's got someone to pass to, should be at least 4-6 players ahead of him. At the minute he gets the ball and there's not much else to do bar put it in the channels and see if Burke is willing to chase it

For people saying don't blame Wilder, he's the one that spent 100+ million and brought in absolutely nothing.
Toronto, for starters Berge would have ousted Norwood and if he was fit Norwood woldn't be playing. We'll get our money back on Berge at some point I'm sure as he's young and highly rated and we've seen how good he can be.

Bogle will prove to be excellant business. In time I also believe Brewster will prove to be a good buy, but in hindsight he isn't good enough now for a struggling PL side.

If you want Wilder to be able to bring in better players then what we already had then we need a bigger wage budget per individual player signings. Granted I'm sure we could have brought in someone on our wage budget to give more competition there, I don't know why we didn't do that, but my guess is that Wilder didn't know, and how could he, that Norwood and Fleck would be so poor this season.

I see the logic but firstly Berge's injured. Basham has never played consistently well in midfield and the same for Ampadu also. We obviously need another body in there desperately, here's hoping for a loan from somewhere.

We shouldn't be looking to "make our money back" on Berge. We should be building a championship winning team around him and if we need to change our style or formation to do that, so be it. Address it in the summer

Unfortunatly you can see sometimes why the teams who he has been promoted with didn't take him to the next level with them
Yeah, for every “Norwood ping” there seems to be half a dozen needless fuck ups. I was a fan, but unfortunately his pros are now heavily outweighed by his cons.

We shouldn't be looking to "make our money back" on Berge. We should be building a championship winning team around him and if we need to change our style or formation to do that, so be it. Address it in the summer
I totatlly agree Luke, but my message was in response to Toronto's and his view that we'd not got absolutlely nothing and I'm pointing out that when Berge goes, whenever that is, that we'll be able to sell him on for at least what we paid him for. As you say, I hope he stays next season and he plays a pivatol part, but not so sure he'll want to stay though.

I totatlly agree Luke, but my message was in response to Toronto's and his view that we'd not got absolutlely nothing and I'm pointing out that when Berge goes, whenever that is, that we'll be able to sell him on for at least what we paid him for. As you say, I hope he stays next season and he plays a pivatol part, but not so sure he'll want to stay though.

I don't agree that he goes for more than Wilder bought him for.

Other sides didn't want to pay the fee Wilder paid.

I wouldn't put Fleck or Lundstram for that matter in the same bracket as Norwood. Fleck's ball for McGoldricks goal was sublime and there were signs of his old self yesterday. The problem with Lundstram is he wants to leave. Norwood is done however.

Norwood was good last season as was Fleck but neither have shown the consistancy needed to claim to be prem quality.
No room for sentiment we have to unload and replace before this month ends

Osborn missing has seen a drop in drive
Norwood wont leave Blades he's another two years on his contract and no club will pay him anything like we are .We arnt big players but I cant see any other club paying him what we are.
I was surprised the club offered him a 3year deal last year.to improve we have to do better than the likes of him ,as someone said his only strength is his
40 yard ping which is easily countered by premiership defences.
It is possible of course he could be useful in the championship but his lack of mobility and pace will also be found out in that division.

I wouldn't put Fleck or Lundstram for that matter in the same bracket as Norwood. Fleck's ball for McGoldricks goal was sublime and there were signs of his old self yesterday. The problem with Lundstram is he wants to leave. Norwood is done however.
Norwood is far from done because after 19 more league games will be in the Championship and we have seen how good he can be at that level.

I don't agree that he goes for more than Wilder bought him for.

Other sides didn't want to pay the fee Wilder paid.
They knew he isn't the finished article. If he was he'd cost more than what we paid for him and would want much higher wages. Time will tell how much Berge will leave us for, I think we'll make a profit when he goes.

Norwood wont leave Blades he's another two years on his contract and no club will pay him anything like we are .We arnt big players but I cant see any other club paying him what we are.
I was surprised the club offered him a 3year deal last year.to improve we have to do better than the likes of him ,as someone said his only strength is his
40 yard ping which is easily countered by premiership defences.
It is possible of course he could be useful in the championship but his lack of mobility and pace will also be found out in that division.
His record in the championship makes him attractive to lots of competing championship clubs.3 promotions in 3 season's.
And there are enough who can afford his wages

I don't get this certainty that we'll make our money back on Berge. We sell players cheap, we always have. Why would this change?

If he'd had a full season as a decent PL player then he'd be worth more than we'd paid, as a part of the worst PL side ever surely his value can only go one way?!

I don't get this certainty that we'll make our money back on Berge. We sell players cheap, we always have. Why would this change?

If he'd had a full season as a decent PL player then he'd be worth more than we'd paid, as a part of the worst PL side ever surely his value can only go one way?!
Not the worst premiership team yet 7 points is all we need I beleave we will get those and more .As for Berge I think your right he has a lot to prove ,I think we will have him next season! It's up to him to earn a mo ve to premiership he's not
Proved anything yet.

Back
Top Bottom