Norwood

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

More nonsense by his agent as has been the case in every transfer window since 2018.
Every single window he is supposedly being 'chased' by an endless list of clubs.

His agent has been desperate to get a PL club for him since 2018.
Wilder took the bait.

Seeing that clip you posted Joshp has made me feel sad for Norwood, without a doubt he was fantastic when he came to us & how we could do with that Norwood now.

I do actually think he could still do a job in the Championship for the right team, but I don;t think that should be us. I don't like criticising players, but I think for us to have a chance of regaining Premier League status we have to fundamentally change our system, unless we can somehow magically find much better players to stick with it, which is not very likely, so having him in our team next season will just mean another rebuild for the following season, thereby losing any momentum we had hopefully rediscovered. It is a real shame, but football is the last place for sentimentality in terms of keeping hold of someone for past achievements when their powers have waned. I want to remember his good times with us & not have those memories tarnished by a failing body & a brain not quick enough to adapt.

Berge's agent is at it again look, desperate to get him to another PL club and not in the Championship.

Arsenal linked in 2017 - https://talksport.com/football/2463...ian-wonderkid-sander-berge-linked-ps18m-move/
Arsenal linked in 2018 - https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/09/arsenal-tottenham-braced-deadline-day-duel-sander-berge-7818132/

I think he's a good signing for the club.
But it's a myth anyone else wanted him, it was invented by his agent like it has been since 2017.

You don't get 56 points in the prem being average

You don't have 5 points after half a season being average either. That's officially well below average.

IMO they were great during first half of last season. Tailed off completely after lockdown and have continued into this season.

We can all excuse a mistake here and there, but it's harder to excuse a sudden inability to control a football and we absolutely will not excuse half arsed attempts to tackle and track back. At least 3 goals against us can be pinned directly to him on this latter point now.

Having just listened to Beans and Roygbiv 's pod, I also completely agree with the point made that Norwood is at serious risk of tarnishing 2 excellent, and incredibly memorable seasons, unless he bucks his ideas up.

A few more performances like yesterday, and he could suddenly find himself in a very dim light amongst the support. Yesterday was so poor from him, I mean really, really poor.
I agree he had a shocker and made big mistakes on the 2 goals but ,Basham should have made a tackle that stopped the second and Bogle should have made a challenge for the 3rd. In the past whenever a midfielder lost possession one of the others were there to help ,Fleck and Lundstram werent and as for Ampadus pass to Norwood when he had 5 Spurs players round him and was signalling down the line ,how he escapes criticism is mad. hardly any mention of Bogles woeful attempt to defend on the first goal which started things. Im not defending Norwood at all he had a mare but it seems to me he and Ramsdale are blamed for everything.

You don't have 5 points after half a season being average either. That's officially well below average.

IMO they were great during first half of last season. Tailed off completely after lockdown and have continued into this season.
Can't argue with that this season
But no way were we average last season it was the 3rd highest we've finished in 60 years of watching them
This season we've played alright at times but suffered from having no finishing touch
Can't remember ever missing so many opportunities. That West Brom match we'd have scored 6 with Deane and Agana up front and 4 before half time v fulham

All that’s happened this season is teams are taking us seriously. Last season I lost count of the amount of teams that turned up to lane unprepared for the battle, cheered me up thinking, plenty of sides turned up, but not many teams. That was our advantage last year, now teams play at the same intensity as us only they have actual premier league quality all over the pitch. Our lads have no time play anymore, and Norwood along with others have been found out because of this.

We are no longer an alien object that is being analysed through a magnifying glass, with people saying no don’t touch it see what is does first. Where now getting picked up a thrown against a wall and toyed with until we inevitably capitulate with no one around who has the quality to clean up the mess.
We've been nowhere near the intensity we played at last season. Watching the Spurs game back and I have to agree, especially in the first 20min, we were pathetic.

I agree he had a shocker and made big mistakes on the 2 goals but ,Basham should have made a tackle that stopped the second and Bogle should have made a challenge for the 3rd. In the past whenever a midfielder lost possession one of the others were there to help ,Fleck and Lundstram werent and as for Ampadus pass to Norwood when he had 5 Spurs players round him and was signalling down the line ,how he escapes criticism is mad. hardly any mention of Bogles woeful attempt to defend on the first goal which started things. Im not defending Norwood at all he had a mare but it seems to me he and Ramsdale are blamed for everything.

Oh I agree that he is far from the only one at fault. It's just more stark considering how good he was not so long ago and as former captain, and one of our key senior players I think we all just expect so much more.
It's like Stevens now, and Fleck I suppose. We've seen all of them do very special things and it's just bloody infuriating seeing what they have become.

Maybe Wilder taking him out of the team and stripping him of the captaincy has affected his confidence and performance levels? That move, along with the insistence on trying to make the McBurnie long ball target man thing work, also affected the performance and setup/style of the team. Individually and as a unit they've not been able to recover from that and get back to what they were before.

We'll never know if any of that's true, but I'd guess that if we'd stuck with the Norwood based posession game that involved some attacks built up on the grass rather than 60ft up in there air, we'd be in a better place than we are now.

yes your right norwoods taking all the flack for spurs 3rd goal but ampadus pass inside to him was suicidal 3 spurs players all over him

I totatlly agree Luke, but my message was in response to Toronto's and his view that we'd not got absolutlely nothing and I'm pointing out that when Berge goes, whenever that is, that we'll be able to sell him on for at least what we paid him for. As you say, I hope he stays next season and he plays a pivatol part, but not so sure he'll want to stay though.
I guess that you are responding Toronto Blade Fan, not myself.
I agree we will get what we paid for Berge in performance and recoup the money spent to bring him in.

I guess that you are responding Toronto Blade Fan, not myself.
Don't go throwing me under the bus ;)

Booker4 I am a fan of Berge, I think that was a good bit of business. My issue, going into this season, was the lack of creativity, especially in the midfield. I didn't understand buying Ramsdale and Brewster for 40m when we had other glaring holes in the team.

Last edited:
I think we could have bought Buendia for £24m, & now NC are talking about him being worth £50m. Not that he alone would have kept us up, but would have had a creative midfielder + a saleable asset.

After watching a few games over the weekend & tonight, our lack of quality anywhere on the field, & a total lack of fighting spirit are what stand out.

A guy on FH last night said, 'we are a Championship club that occasionally sojourns in the PL'. Looking back over my 50 years of being a supporter he is correct! I don't see it changing unless Donald Trump fancies committing another mad act & buys us!

After watching a few games over the weekend & tonight, our lack of quality anywhere on the field, & a total lack of fighting spirit are what stand out.

A guy on FH last night said, 'we are a Championship club that occasionally sojourns in the PL'. Looking back over my 50 years of being a supporter he is correct! I don't see it changing unless Donald Trump fancies committing another mad act & buys us!
weve never ever had the finances to become an established top flight club certainly not in my 60 years of following the blades and to be honest cant see that changing basically hes right were a championship club that goes up or down from that league

In the last 50 years we have spent exactly the same number of seasons in divisions below the second tier as we have done in the premier League/first division! Something that would have been unthinkable pre 1975 or so. Even after the terrible 1975-6 campaign it never really entered my head that we would sink any lower than the second tier.

In short, we are now a club that 'sojourns' both ways. 😊

In the last 50 years we have spent exactly the same number of seasons in divisions below the second tier as we have done in the premier League/first division! Something that would have been unthinkable pre 1975 or so.

In short, we are now a club that 'sojourns' both ways. 😊
Best word on the forum for a good while that one... Sojourns ! Fair play sir.

Can't argue with that this season
But no way were we average last season it was the 3rd highest we've finished in 60 years of watching them
This season we've played alright at times but suffered from having no finishing touch
Can't remember ever missing so many opportunities. That West Brom match we'd have scored 6 with Deane and Agana up front and 4 before half time v fulham

Enlighten, how many of this season's umpteen defeats were due to our bad finishing? The West Brom game has been extensively referenced as an example of our potential. Couple of points: that was one match; we still fucked it up; they're wank albeit not as wank as us.

We've created very little all season and missed opportunities will be nowt to do with our relegation. We're below par, all over.

I get that some amongst us have become so, so entitled after last season, but is there any fear that we could add a bit of context? Or god forbid, even gratitude? Oliver Norwood cost us £1.2 fuckin million pounds and has given all of us 2 seasons worth of top quality midfield craft & consistency during our promotion season, and upon finishing 9th in our first season back in the premier league after a 12 year gap. Financially, he’s in part responsible for earning the blades £127m last season. £100m over the next 3 seasons. Not forgetting, the global rise of our club. Let that sink in. £1.2m. But because the team is not in the same place, character assassination is rife. If Norwood, or any of his family have had the misfortune to read some of the piffle on here, Christ knows what they think of our fans. FFS it’s not even real football at the minute. It’s a parody of the game we love. Short, short memories. Very fuckin short. We still start next season a million times better than when we were last there.

Enlighten, how many of this season's umpteen defeats were due to our bad finishing? The West Brom game has been extensively referenced as an example of our potential. Couple of points: that was one match; we still fucked it up; they're wank albeit not as wank as us.

We've created very little all season and missed opportunities will be nowt to do with our relegation. We're below par, all over.
There was nothing between us and Leeds when they got away with fouling Berge
We should have had 3 at ht v Fulham
West ham we matched till the ball fell fortunately for taller
Aston Villa benifitted from a red card that was harsh
Stop making out we've been worse than we have

Don't go throwing me under the bus ;)

Booker4 I am a fan of Berge, I think that was a good bit of business. My issue, going into this season, was the lack of creativity, especially in the midfield. I didn't understand buying Ramsdale and Brewster for 40m when we had other glaring holes in the team.

For a bit of balance, we had (probably the most) glaring holes in the net and up front.

The issue has surely been the quality of the acquisitions, not the positions?

We also missed a penalty against Villa. Finishing doesn't get much worse than that!

How anyone can say in our current league position that we have not been extremely poor this season and hanging onto very non-standard finishing from Mcfu@@wit, etc is astonishing.

The one thing about being a SHEFFIELD united fan is about being honest, even in defeat. We have been gash this season to say the least and it's time that fans maned up on this, instead of trying to say that we have unlucky in games, etc.

I get that some amongst us have become so, so entitled after last season, but is there any fear that we could add a bit of context? Or god forbid, even gratitude? Oliver Norwood cost us £1.2 fuckin million pounds and has given all of us 2 seasons worth of top quality midfield craft & consistency during our promotion season, and upon finishing 9th in our first season back in the premier league after a 12 year gap. Financially, he’s in part responsible for earning the blades £127m last season. £100m over the next 3 seasons. Not forgetting, the global rise of our club. Let that sink in. £1.2m. But because the team is not in the same place, character assassination is rife. If Norwood, or any of his family have had the misfortune to read some of the piffle on here, Christ knows what they think of our fans. FFS it’s not even real football at the minute. It’s a parody of the game we love. Short, short memories. Very fuckin short. We still start next season a million times better than when we were last there.

Why do you honestly think that this current set of players will be successful in the Championship next season, only asking a simple question, not trying to cause any negative answer?

Because my own view on this is that we have had the best years out a few players over the last 3 seasons, Fleck, Norwood, Stevens, etc, the only one that keeps surprising me is Didzy TBH, because the man just keeps going and am sure that he will play a big part next season, but not sure without renewing certain players (probs all midfield areas - berge will not be here), then not sure how anyone can say that we will be better next season TBH?

For a bit of balance, we had (probably the most) glaring holes in the net and up front.

The issue has surely been the quality of the acquisitions, not the positions?

Can I say both? Brewster as a perfect example... We have an abundance of strikers (albeit strikers that struggle to score) and instead of investing in the midfield we bring in another striker... Unproven one at that.

Can I say both? Brewster as a perfect example... We have an abundance of strikers (albeit strikers that struggle to score) and instead of investing in the midfield we bring in another striker... Unproven one at that.

That's the one for me! I've said extensively on another thread - spending £20m on an unproven striker with a career of barely c20 Championship games when we already had Mousset, McBurnie and Burke in that same 'unproven'/taking a punt category, when we have a midfield that looked badly out of its depth at the end of last season was suicidal.

Imagine if a Director of Football had done that! Tufty would be going bananas

I don't need to, our league position and points tally does us justice by themselves.

I imagine the Derby team of 2008 had equally optimistic fans as you, fair play.

Back
Top Bottom