Nigel Adkins team........"Where Are They Now?"

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We really weren’t very good were we? :)

The context is looking back and being able to smile about it, as well as be thrilled for Billy and Bash that they came out of that season better and stronger.

I never tire of telling Bolton friends about Bash’s rise to fame, barely any of them can remember he played for them, Premier League actually, he even scored once!

In my nightmares when I’ve consumed too much Danish Blue

Much of that team was done to Clough and a lot of the players were coming up to end of contract. Adkins for me and many was a dream appointment and despite his crashing failure (all things like this contribute to the end of a man's career) he has wished us well since he left.

Shudders..........

still amazing how well we have done and Wilder certainly deserves that knighthood

Much of that team was done to Clough and a lot of the players were coming up to end of contract. Adkins for me and many was a dream appointment and despite his crashing failure (all things like this contribute to the end of a man's career) he has wished us well since he left.

Yeah, gwan. Blame Clough.

Yet we forget, McCabe was as ever, the spectre of mediocrity and malevolence over the whole operation. Now Clough and Adkins might have been a bit of pair of boring twats, 'negative Nigels' and all that. But given the right resources it's doubtless they would have brought the better elements out of that team. You can't do that with loanees like Edgar, Baptiste and Jay McEverley at the back and Basham not in a solid position with no real way or style of playing. 5-3-2 with attacking centre backs wasn't Clough's and certainly not Adkins's way, certainly with the players McCabe allowed them to have.

Clough went, mysteriously, for some reason. It certainly wasn't because he missed home or fancied a change.

pommpey

So we're talking about how bad the team was under Adkins, I point out that he inherited most of the crud you suddenly start saying it's all McCabe's fault, I'm all for the evolution of a conversation but that was a bit of a jump!
So now I'll defend McCabe; he was an enabler, provided the funds, oversaw the running of the club so we didn't end up like any of the clubs fixing the books. He gambled and lost (when we were relegated from the Prem) and fixed it himself, no going bust and keeping all the assets like a good few clubs have done, if you were ever a sub contractor to Sheffield United you would be grateful for that. He annually provided money from his own pocket to keep the club competitive, we had a string of previously successful managers of whom very few people complained about their appointments (beforehand)*, I don't know feasibly what more he could have done? It must've been exasperating for him to keep digging deep and appointing the best managers available only for it to go wrong over and over again.

* I did about Robson and I'm sure there were a good few others, however without knowing the truth I feel there were mitigating circumstances.

Alex Baptiste? literally have no memory of this guy.

Saw him in the 2-0 win against Walsall at the Lane. He seemed competent, but given who we had at the back at the time, that was no struggle.

We also had Basham playing left wing. He set Billy Sharps goal up I think

pommpey

Oh........well, that’s alright then ? 🥴

So we're talking about how bad the team was under Adkins, I point out that he inherited most of the crud you suddenly start saying it's all McCabe's fault, I'm all for the evolution of a conversation but that was a bit of a jump!
So now I'll defend McCabe; he was an enabler, provided the funds, oversaw the running of the club so we didn't end up like any of the clubs fixing the books. He gambled and lost (when we were relegated from the Prem) and fixed it himself, no going bust and keeping all the assets like a good few clubs have done, if you were ever a sub contractor to Sheffield United you would be grateful for that. He annually provided money from his own pocket to keep the club competitive, we had a string of previously successful managers of whom very few people complained about their appointments (beforehand)*, I don't know feasibly what more he could have done? It must've been exasperating for him to keep digging deep and appointing the best managers available only for it to go wrong over and over again.

* I did about Robson and I'm sure there were a good few others, however without knowing the truth I feel there were mitigating circumstances.

Let me just dismantle your argument there a bit:

... he was an enabler ...

How does he get that title, when he flogged much of our decent playing staff? How the fuck do you become an 'enabler', only to see your club serially fall down the divisions, and fail dismally to recover? What exactly did he enable, over what Wilder did? Tell me what improvements in playing quality did he 'enable'?

... provided the funds ...

For what? Tell me, over and above the quite breathtakingly stupid signing of Brayford, what did he 'provide funds' for? Much of what we got, we got either for free, on loan or at the cost of more talented individuals we sold. Like Jamie Murphy, for example.

... oversaw the running of the club ...

Yep. From or incongruous drop from the top flight to eleventh in the third tier. Well done.

... so we didn't end up like any of the clubs fixing the books ...

So you're saying everything McCabe did was honest, upfront and done with integrity and with the club itself paramount to his actions? Like, say, bringing in HRH who would clearly se what a bag of shit he was running and make a challenge, drag him through the courts, beat him and even then, for McCabe to twist the dagger and drive it deeper with this latest shitshow of flats, corners of the footprint and other such nonsense? I mean, fit and proper describes him to a tee, doesn't it?

He gambled and lost (when we were relegated from the Prem) and fixed it himself

Hahahahahaha. Now that's funny. Really, it is. Where did the Tevez money go, again? Parachute payments?

No going bust and keeping all the assets like a good few clubs have done

Why do you think that is, then? Maybe because had the club gone down the toilet, he'd have lost so much of the investment he'd piled in ... in many cases chucking good money after bad on a string of managers who (although we don't know for sure, we can but guess) very quickly saw that the whole club was built on sand and McCabe's arse-covering idiocy rather than with a sound investment plan in playing ability. They soon went, sacked, resigned and paid off to keep their gobs shut. Next manager and his team, within two years, rinse and repeat. This after any emerging ability and talent is put on the market and substandard player brought in to replace them. See the OP if you don't believe me.

He annually provided money from his own pocket to keep the club competitive

Really? I mean really? I'd say he stuck cash into the club because he'd carried on feeding the dragon eating his clothes. He'd gone beyond the point of a diminishing return, and the only way out is to appoint the right manager and stop fucking about with his system and assets. Strange how all this malaise sudden;y started to correct itself and we started to climb the table as soon as HRH and Wilder moreso were able to prise control from McCabe's incompetent hands. How odd we had such a shit spell in the club's history under him and yet now he's been eased out, we are in the top end of the Premier League. Even I am pinching myself, but really ... unsurprised

we had a string of previously successful managers of whom very few people complained about their appointments (beforehand)*

Like who? Harris? Bassett? Rowley? Warnock? Haslam? What cups have we won, say for two lower league championships?

I don't know feasibly what more he could have done?

Fuck me. Where to start.

It must've been exasperating for him to keep digging deep and appointing the best managers available only for it to go wrong over and over again.

A-ha. Okay. You had me. Well done. Well sharked. 10/10.

Hang on. You're serious, aren't you?

pommpey

Last edited:
Let me just dismantle your argument there a bit:

How does he get that title, when he flogged much of our decent playing staff? How the fuck do you become an 'enabler', only to see your club serially fall down the divisions, and fail dismally to recover? What exactly did he enable, over what Wilder did? Tell me what improvements in playing quality did he 'enable'?

For what? Tell me, over and above the quite breathtakingly stupid signing of Brayford, what did he 'provide funds' for? Much of what we got, we got either for free, on loan or at the cost of more talented individuals we sold. Like Jamie Murphy, for example.

Yep. From or incongruous drop from the top flight to eleventh in the third tier. Well done.

So you're saying everything McCabe did was honest, upfront and done with integrity and with the club itself paramount to his actions? Like, say, bringing in HRH who would clearly se what a bag of shit he was running and make a challenge, drag him through the courts, beat him and even then, for McCabe to twist the dagger and drive it deeper with this latest shitshow of flats, corners of the footprint and other such nonsense? I mean, fit and proper describes him to a tee, doesn't it?

Hahahahahaha. Now that's funny. Really, it is. Where did the Tevez money go, again? Parachute payments?

Why do you think that is, then? Maybe because had the club gone down the toilet, he'd have lost so much of the investment he'd piled in ... in many cases chucking good money after bad on a string of managers who (although we don't know for sure, we can but guess) very quickly saw that the whole club was built on sand and McCabe's arse-covering idiocy rather than with a sound investment plan in playing ability. They soon went, sacked, resigned and paid off to keep their gobs shut. Next manager and his team, within two years, rinse and repeat. This after any emerging ability and talent is put on the market and substandard player brought in to replace them. See the OP if you don't believe me.

Really? I mean really? I'd say he stuck cash into the club because he'd carried on feeding the dragon eating his clothes. He'd gone beyond the point of a diminishing return, and the only way out is to appoint the right manager and stop fucking about with his system and assets. Strange how all this malaise sudden;y started to correct itself and we started to climb the table as soon as HRH and Wilder moreso were able to prise control from McCabe's incompetent hands. How odd we had such a shit spell in the club's history under him and yet now he's been eased out, we are in the top end of the Premier League. Even I am pinching myself, but really ... unsurprised

Like who? Harris? Bassett? Rowley? Warnock? Haslam? What cups have we won, sav for two lower league championships?

Fuck me. Where to start.

A-ha. Okay. You had me. Well done. Well sharked. 10/10.

Hang on. You're serious, aren't you?

pommpey
McCabe and Adkins were like dumb and dumber. I have nothing against them on a personal level, but on a footballing level they are/were both completely terrible for our club. It's no coincidence that both are out of the club and we're flying high in the Premier League.

Seriously pommpey you just aren't thinking beyond trying to damn McCabe.

I actually started answering your diatribe but if i have to explain every little part of what I've stated then there really is no point. You aren't accepting that McCabe did his best, was out of pocket, you clearly aren't accepting the accounts explanation of what money was spent. Some of your comments are down right stupid, this one (if it needed pointing out to you):
"I don't know feasibly what more he could have done?
Fuck me. Where to start. "

You are one of those people who wants somebody else to do it all and you to just enjoy the fruits of victory no doubt declaring those were all your ideas after the event.

Seriously pommpey you just aren't thinking beyond trying to damn McCabe.

Still think you're taking the piss. I mean, after a decade of decline and squader, and now he wants to fuck Sheffield United, the club me and you support, you still don't think he is damned in his own existence?

I actually started answering your diatribe but if i have to explain every little part of what I've stated then there really is no point. You aren't accepting that McCabe did his best, was out of pocket, you clearly aren't accepting the accounts explanation of what money was spent. Some of your comments are down right stupid, this one (if it needed pointing out to you):
"I don't know feasibly what more he could have done?
Fuck me. Where to start. "

What he could have done is used some better judgement and stopped trying to plug financial holes with ever more fucked up managerial appointments, backroom staff who were clearly there to contribute nothing and selling our best players. But y'know, poo bloke is 'out of pocket' isn't he? Like our continued slump (see OP) wasn't enough, poor, sorrowful Kevin McCabe just kept that cash flowing in ... whilst he busted the club up into more myriad unsaleable layers and in no way siree was that designed as a safety net just in case ... well ... just in case the chickens came home one day to roost. I don't give a fat fuck about him being out of pocket. As far as football is concerned SUFCs supporters across the globe have been out of pocket. And its the football that matters. We've all shown loyaty to the badge. It's about time he did the same and did the honourable thing and stopped being a complete dick to the supporters, club, players and everything else which we are led to believe means so much to him

You are one of those people who wants somebody else to do it all and you to just enjoy the fruits of victory no doubt declaring those were all your ideas after the event.

No idea what the hell you are on about here. I have never declared McCabe is in any way crooked, bent or on the make from SUFC. I have however for many years taken on all and sundry that he is an incompetent, interfering makeweight who needed to sell up and fuck off. No ideas, just honest opinion. And fuck me, it seems I am right.You however, seem to see some kind of rationale behind him building flats behind the kop. Our opinions differ. Maybe you are on his payroll. Maybe not.

pommpey

Nigel Adkins, the worst thing to happen to SUFC for 100 years.
Can’t quite agree with that.....Adrian Heath, David Weir, Martin Peters......John Carver and they’re the ones i remember. Agree though that if Nigel Adkins had the potential to be the worst, he could have done a Martin Peters the next season..... Dean Hammond doing the Don Givens penalty

Fuck me....I couldn't make it thru all the list but....fuck me.....the horror. Lord's Wilder and Knill are gods and took us from utter, utter hopelessness to the promised land.

It really, really, really fucking hits home just how far we've come, doesn't it?

He’s probably a very decent fella but some of these videos are painful to watch. For more than one reason.

Oh........well, that’s alright then ? 🥴
The point being, even though (IMO) he was hamstrung with too many poor players -not enough decent ones to get a team out and was 'released' as a result of it, he bore no ill will to Sheffield United. This fits his 'upbeat' personality; put yourself in that position, sacked from a job after a year and part of the problem is you haven't been given adequate tools to do that job.

The point being, even though (IMO) he was hamstrung with too many poor players -not enough decent ones to get a team out and was 'released' as a result of it, he bore no ill will to Sheffield United. This fits his 'upbeat' personality; put yourself in that position, sacked from a job after a year and part of the problem is you haven't been given adequate tools to do that job.

On the contrary, he had far too many tools to get the job done, and what’s more, he signed a lot of them!!

If I worked for someone and got the boot after one year and got four years salary, personally, I’d struggle to bear any malice towards them.

I get your point though, he’s a nice decent, bloke. I don’t disagree with that, I just think he’s a bit of a smarmy, bullshitter 🤷🏻‍♂️

Can’t quite agree with that.....Adrian Heath, David Weir, Martin Peters......John Carver and they’re the ones i remember. Agree though that if Nigel Adkins had the potential to be the worst, he could have done a Martin Peters the next season..... Dean Hammond doing the Don Givens penalty
Steve Thompson and Chris Morgan also spring to mind in my lifetime. To think McCabe fired Danny Wilson to replace him with that management colossus? What? Why? How?

Steve Thompson and Chris Morgan also spring to mind in my lifetime. To think McCabe fired Danny Wilson to replace him with that management colossus? What? Why? How?

We'd been top in late Feb but were falling away badly. Wilson had a poor record in the playoffs which together with the equally pessimistic view of our fanbase, probably meant failure again.

He thought Morgan could do the 'motivation thing' for just half a dozen games.
He gambled, he failed, as per United from the 1970s onward.

Back
Top Bottom