New view of Lane re-development

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The crowd has grown by about 8,000 on average over the last 20 years because of Kevin's cheap tickets for young people. Logically over the next 20 years it will increase even more. We need to expand. With success we'll sell the tickets

The crowd has grown by about 8,000 on average over the last 20 years because of Kevin's cheap tickets for young people. Logically over the next 20 years it will increase even more. We need to expand. With success we'll sell the tickets
In the Big Match Revisited an end of season Chelsea game from 1977, who had won promotion, was nearly abandoned due to pitch invasions as they beat Hull 4-0. Chelsea's reaction was to double the entrance fee for kids (from 50p to £1) and put fences up around the pitch.

How things change!

Number 2 on the attached image is interesting...seems to be on John Street. No mention of anything here before...

With regards the OP it looks excellent, next time we're in the Prem get the ground done up like that instead of shovelling all the money into a load of greedy b*****d prima-donnas' pockets, who wouldn't give a flying one about our club anyway.

I like the 'Beautiful Down Town Bramall Lane' writing on the south stand.

Would love this to go ahead. Would make The Lane one of the best grounds in the UK.

264s2g2.jpg

Be a right bastard parking just to collect tickets, no thanks.

Would love this to go ahead. Would make The Lane one of the best grounds in the UK.

264s2g2.jpg
As far as I'm concerned it already is one of the best stadiums in the world :) UTB

So you want us to build another Pride Park? Given the choice character wins every time. Bramall Lane is one of the best grounds in the country.

That expansion will make it the best by a million miles
No. But that is pile old shite.
The architect must be taking it up the nose.
Get the kop done properly and leave it that.

Not sure it'd be wise to have trees taking up space in a tiny car park!

The only thing that needs doing is the Kop. Steeper rake, remove the poles, add another 2,000 to 3,000 seats, improve concourse area and ideally allow for a conversion to terracing/rail seats.

Anything else would be a bonus. But long term we should be aiming for about a 40,000 capacity. It would be no problem having an empty upper tier on the South Stand until we did start filling the stadium - it wouldn't affect the atmosphere.

The only thing that needs doing is the Kop. Steeper rake, remove the poles, add another 2,000 to 3,000 seats, improve concourse area and ideally allow for a conversion to terracing/rail seats.

If you increased the rake of the kop and added another 3,000 seats, coupled with the fact that you would have to increase the spacing around the seats in line with present safety standards, then you would end up with a structure twice as tall as it is now. It would look fucking ridiculous and cost about £20m. Your architectural expertise is on a par with your football expertise.

Personally, I don't like it. Too lop sided for me. It looks about as daft as St James's park. I like my grounds with a bit of symmetry about them.
We don't need a vastly bigger ground, just a better one.
Better rake, no pillars and no restricted views etc.

Like one of those new fangled bowl type? They're symmetrical.. And shit.

Not sure it'd be wise to have trees taking up space in a tiny car park!

It'll get them some BREEAM credits though, so the greenies will love it. A disincentive to use vehicles AND planting trees. It's sustainability paradise! :rolleyes:

The architect is gonna be including the return of the piss on the wall ( and shoes ) toilets at bottom of The Kop to provide a kitsch contrast to the sleek modern lines & design

If you increased the rake of the kop and added another 3,000 seats, coupled with the fact that you would have to increase the spacing around the seats in line with present safety standards, then you would end up with a structure twice as tall as it is now. It would look fucking ridiculous and cost about £20m. Your architectural expertise is on a par with your football expertise.

LOL. From the guy who thought Brayford was still quality and had a big role to play.

It wouldn't be twice as tall though would it? But you have a point if the spacing requirements are significantly higher - maybe the 2 or 3k extra wouldn't be feasible.... shame you can't make your point without being an argumentative little tosspot though. I'd be happy with a steeper rake and the same capacity - the view is the main thing. The capacity could be increased by the South Stand extension long term.

I'd also say that there is scope for the Kop to be significantly taller, but ideally it shouldn't go any further back from the pitch. And if the South Stand was extended, a taller Kop wouldn't look as out of place.

Last edited:
Based on the numbers I believe these are the works planned...
  1. Boundary corner - Cherry Street / Shoreham Street Corner, a four storey largely residential building which will feature a new ground floor club shop.
  2. Chaucer’s Yard (Countess Road) – formerly a cutlery casting workshop and is Grade II listed in part. Pre-application discussions have begun with the local authority, assessing the feasibility of new residential and commercial space alongside a refurbished Chaucer Yard development.
  3. Bramall Lane / Cherry Street Residential – WCEC is appraising the viability for an eight-storey residential development in two blocks on the Bramall Lane / Cherry Street corner adjacent to the Copthorne Hotel.
  4. John Street / Shoreham Street residential – Planning permission has been retained and obtained for a three and four storey residential development consisting of 52 apartments on the corner of John Street / Shoreham Street
  5. new Business Enterprise Centre on stilts in the Kop/South Stand corner, allowing entry/exit routes to/from the Kop and South Stand to remain.
  6. ???
  7. Kop Extension / Business Centre (Kop to South Stand Corner) – Planning permission has been retained for a 3,200-seat extension at the back of the existing Kop, including a new roof and over trusses to allow the four existing roof support columns to be removed and the introduction of a new concourse with improved facilities.
  8. John Street Corner Stand Executive Boxes – Assessments are ongoing for a concept proposal to create additional executive boxes at high level at the back of the corner stand. Detailed costings will determine if the project is viable.
  9. South Stand – Clean and improve the façade, creating a matching look with the hotel and a clearer identity to the component parts of the stand

264s2g2.jpg

Fascinating that we would look to make all these improvements to the stadium and yet the Gents toilets on the Cherry St and Shoreham St corner of the Kop are still planned to remain!

Yet another career dream at Sheffield United smashed to smithereens on the altar of knowing what you're talking about.

It really is such a fucking shame......

shame you can't make your point without being an argumentative little tosspot though

Shame you can't make an argument without resorting to name calling and personal insults. Especially when you're only capable of making an insult from the safety of anonimity.

Back
Top Bottom