Neil Warnock

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

His record in the championship really isn’t as good as people are making out. He’s OK but nothing better. In terms of points per game he just about squeezes into the top 25 since the foundation of the championship. If you look at PPG in the 2nd tier since the 80’s then he only just squeezes into the top 50. 2 places behind Danny Wilson and 11 places behind Gary Megson….

Plays a pretty basic brand of football as well. He had a good spell here with us and managed a lot of games over his career. Far from a top manager though.

Time makes the heart grow fonder. When we look back we see the Warnock that we see today with a blades kit on.

When he was here he wasn’t particularly loved. He seems to have done a great job at remodelling himself with the media and then coming back and doing very well as a firefighter keeping teams up. Now he’s the story line and he goes somewhere for a few months and gives lots of good sound bits and clips

His record in the championship really isn’t as good as people are making out. He’s OK but nothing better. In terms of points per game he just about squeezes into the top 25 since the foundation of the championship. If you look at PPG in the 2nd tier since the 80’s then he only just squeezes into the top 50. 2 places behind Danny Wilson and 11 places behind Gary Megson….

Plays a pretty basic brand of football as well. He had a good spell here with us and managed a lot of games over his career. Far from a top manager though.

I think it’s more to do with the promotions he gets with teams that in reality were nowhere near promotion before he came in and thats where his managerial ability is.

He’ll never score highly on the stats and his football isn’t known for being pretty on the eye but at the very least he gets teams playing as a unit better than they were before.

I think the way the modern game is these days he’s become more of a troubleshooter because of the way he seems to get that new manager bounce wherever he goes. If he was given a bigger project now, I’m not sure how well he’d do.

You need to take into account resources though.

At Rotherham it is widely accepted he did an incredible job keeping them up when they were a lost cause. He got them 1.5 points per game which, when contrasted with someone pushing for promotion, would look worse in black and white but is a far greater achievement. Arguably the galvanising job with Huddersfield where he got 1.43 points per game was also commendable.

He kept QPR out of danger then won the league with them, got binned after promotion and no backing and Mark Hughes came in, spent a fortune but did no better in terms of performance.

Cardiff had spent ages out of the top flight, were unfancied and he got them up too.

Boro were heading for relegation under Woodgate. He didn’t manage to turn them into a promotion team but then again neither did Wilder nor Carrick. But he saved their bacon.

At Palace he managed them through very difficult financial circumstances as the club struggled.

The only place things didn’t really happen in terms of saving or promotion was Leeds.

His time at United had us return to the top flight for the first time since the 90s.

If anything he gets unfairly labelled.

“He can’t do it at the top level” they say; nobody already at the top level with adequate resourcing ever gave him a chance. He only really, aside from a Caretaker stint at Palace, got teams up under his own steam and then was expected to compete with an uncompetitive budget.

As so starts the vicious circle. He overachieves to get a team there, he’s then woefully under-resourced and as such he fails to keep them up and he’s deemed not good enough.

Meanwhile ‘name’ players like Lampard and Gerrard waltz in at Chelsea and Villa with only a fraction of the managerial skills and man management because they were once well known when it came to playing.

He probably regrets not taking the Chelsea job all those years back when he was at Notts County. Even though Chelsea themselves were a bit tinpot back then, he might have lifted himself in the consciousness of the football snobs who are easily attracted by name managers.

You need to take into account resources though.

At Rotherham it is widely accepted he did an incredible job keeping them up when they were a lost cause. He got them 1.5 points per game which, when contrasted with someone pushing for promotion, would look worse in black and white but is a far greater achievement. Arguably the galvanising job with Huddersfield where he got 1.43 points per game was also commendable.

He kept QPR out of danger then won the league with them, got binned after promotion and no backing and Mark Hughes came in, spent a fortune but did no better in terms of performance.

Cardiff had spent ages out of the top flight, were unfancied and he got them up too.

Boro were heading for relegation under Woodgate. He didn’t manage to turn them into a promotion team but then again neither did Wilder nor Carrick. But he saved their bacon.

At Palace he managed them through very difficult financial circumstances as the club struggled.

The only place things didn’t really happen in terms of saving or promotion was Leeds.

His time at United had us return to the top flight for the first time since the 90s.

If anything he gets unfairly labelled.

“He can’t do it at the top level” they say; nobody already at the top level with adequate resourcing ever gave him a chance. He only really, aside from a Caretaker stint at Palace, got teams up under his own steam and then was expected to compete with an uncompetitive budget.

As so starts the vicious circle. He overachieves to get a team there, he’s then woefully under-resourced and as such he fails to keep them up and he’s deemed not good enough.

Meanwhile ‘name’ players like Lampard and Gerrard waltz in at Chelsea and Villa with only a fraction of the managerial skills and man management because they were once well known when it came to playing.

He probably regrets not taking the Chelsea job all those years back when he was at Notts County. Even though Chelsea themselves were a bit tinpot back then, he might have lifted himself in the consciousness of the football snobs who are easily attracted by name managers.
I think there are some fair comments there TBF. Maybe i’m being harsh on him.

Was asked by the host (John Green) how he felt as a lifelong Blade and former manager about seeing United drop into League 1, suggesting he must be really disappointed.

With a smug grin he said he couldn't give a shit.
He did a great job with us.

I went to a pre-season meal with when we had signed Ifill.

Put me right off him as he was constantly looking at his phone and boasting that he could have taken other jobs whilst he was with us.

Difficult for me to understand what it is like on his side of the fence but was not what I was expecting him to say when we had all paid to see him leading into a season.

Speak for yourself pal. I & many other Blades warmed to Warnock
I warmed to him, but was still ready to give him the chop in the relegation season, we'd clearly dropped off a cliff in terms of performance and it seemed odd we weren't willing to roll the dice.

Back
Top Bottom