Most infuriating player

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Who's the most infuriating United player since 1989

• Glyn Hodges

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Sander Berge

Votes: 37 12.0%
  • Patrick Suffo

Votes: 11 3.6%
  • David Brooks

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Lys Mousset

Votes: 205 66.3%
  • Jamie Murphy

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Franz Carr

• Mike Lake

• Wayne Quinn

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Lee Morris

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Luton Shelton

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Peter Ndlovu

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • Christian Nade

• Danny Webber

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Adrian Littlejohn

• James Beattie

• Marcus Bent

Votes: 9 2.9%
  • Nathan Blake

• Conor Coady

• David Cotterill

Votes: 14 4.5%
  • Trainos Dellas

• Jan Aage Fjortoft

• Marcelo

• Rob Hulse

• Colin Kazim-Richards

Votes: 9 2.9%

• Total voters
So, not the worst player. I'm looking for the player who has obvious ability but can't be arsed, doesn't have the right mentality, can't stay fit, was sold too soon. Something went wrong and it just didn't happen. The main rule is there has to have been at least some excitement about them at some point after we'd seen them play.

It's my list so apologies if I've missed anyone obvious. But I'm looking for the player who, if everything had gone right and they'd stayed for 8 seasons would be up with Deano, Billy etc as modern greats
I voted Franz carr , then read this which can only be Lys Mousset.

Franz used to piss me off, he'd beat a man, then cut back to beat him.again... does.he put the ball in, no, he goes.back to beat him.again and fails this time

Jamal Fried Ryce. He wasn't great but one of the only players to get you excited at the time. Amount of times i'd be sat in Kop, watch him beat his man at least 20 times then stand up only for him to cross it 5000 yards too long. I wasted so much energy just watching him.

I always remember when we beat arsenal 1-0 and everyone was raving about how he marked viera out of the game ...not sure what match I was watching because I saw none of it.
He would have done well to mark Viera out of that game.

I think Viera was playing for Juventus at the time or maybe Inter.

You could add to that list any of the ex Dingles who we picked up, Howard, Ashley Ward, Bogdanovic and errr McBurnie all raved about in dinglesville but not done much here.

Let's hope Chris Morgan isn't reading that.....

Jamie Murphy. Beat his man, then tried to do it over and over again until he lost the ball. He clearly had the ability, which just made him more frustrating to watch.

Have to disagree, he started poorly for us but only got better, he was very good for a long time at the end, carried us in countless matches

Just my opinion of course

Would Petr Katchouro be a candidate for the list? Signed to great fanfare and on decent wages, he showed flashes of ability but never really got going.
There was no fanfare for Katchouro, was a total unknown. It was because he banged 15-20 goals in, in his first season, but I think failed to score again (even missing a penalty to get him off the mark the following season).

I was only a teenager at the time. I thought Blake was brilliant. If we'd put him in the team earlier we would have stayed up
I’ve always thought that. I was told that he fell out with Bassett over his weight. Bassett told him to lose some but Blake thought it helped his game as it made him hard to knock off the ball. That’s why Bassett didn’t play him much until we were getting desperate.

I was only a teenager at the time. I thought Blake was brilliant. If we'd put him in the team earlier we would have stayed up

Just checked, he was top scorer on 12 goals out of 20 games when Kendall took charge. Got £1.2m for him though!

I’ve always thought that. I was told that he fell out with Bassett over his weight. Bassett told him to lose some but Blake thought it helped his game as it made him hard to knock off the ball. That’s why Bassett didn’t play him much until we were getting desperate.
I didn't know that. Makes sense, NB was famously prickly

Infuriating is a player who has loads of ability/ talent but fails to deliver or constantly under performs.
Can see why someone would vote for Mousett however I’m still not convinced he’s capable of being such a good player, the jury is still out on him.

So my vote goes to Danny Webber or David Cotteril.

Both great players who I really rated but both would often have poor games for us.

I went for Webber, as memorable as some of his goals were (Leeds, Cardiff, Newcastle away all spring to mind), he never did it often enough, always injured and was pretty well finished by the time he was 30. Hitting the post against Wigan on that awful piss wet afternoon will live with me forever.

Shows the gulf in class when he scored for fun at non-league level when he went to Salford but barely hit a barn door besides his spell at Watford and first season with us.

There was no fanfare for Katchouro, was a total unknown. It was because he banged 15-20 goals in, in his first season, but I think failed to score again (even missing a penalty to get him off the mark the following season).
That's not my recollection. He had been a prolific scorer for Dynamo Minsk and was a Belarus international. I still remember the ovation he received when he came on as sub at Reading on the first day of the season. Needless to say we lost.

Think Kendall might have had summat to do with that. Didn't he drop him after his first game in charge even though he was top scorer at the time?
HK took him off at half-time in Kendall's first game, a 0-0 draw at Ipswich, and soon swapped him for Mark Patterson. At a Meet The Fans evening apparently Kendall said he'd seen some things in Blake's first half performance that should never be seen on a football pitch. I'd love to know what he meant.

Still time for Hodgy Pat Butcher to catch up on moose

That's not my recollection. He had been a prolific scorer for Dynamo Minsk and was a Belarus international. I still remember the ovation he received when he came on as sub at Reading on the first day of the season. Needless to say we lost.
Long time ago, memories fade but cant remember expecting much out of him.

Belarussian football has never been a hotbed of talent ha ha.

Would add Gary Cahill and Andy Reid.

Both had quality loans and it's infuriating to think about what could have happened those seasons if we could have brought them back.

HK took him off at half-time in Kendall's first game, a 0-0 draw at Ipswich, and soon swapped him for Mark Patterson. At a Meet The Fans evening apparently Kendall said he'd seen some things in Blake's first half performance that should never be seen on a football pitch. I'd love to know what he meant.
Yes I remember now, wasn't even a full game.

Would Petr Katchouro be a candidate for the list? Signed to great fanfare and on decent wages, he showed flashes of ability but never really got going.
Came on as sub, played for about 15 minutes before being subbed. He was so upset and went to the airport intending to fly back to Belarus until someone at the club stopped him!

Of all the players to hate, Glyn Hodges seems an odd choice.

Back
Top Bottom