Midfield Revamp next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dozzell - not good enough.
Olise - Too young and immature for us to blow the £15m that Reading would want. We couldn’t even make Swift work at £6m!
Bielik - Weetabix in hot milk legs. Never gonna happen.
In theory the amount of the budget allocated on midfield this coming summer should be higher than last year so that type of fee might not be beyond us.

In theory the amount of the budget allocated on midfield this coming summer should be higher than last year so that type of fee might not be beyond us.
This is Sheffield United!

I have also been told that Moose is in fact on holiday with Lord Lucan in the Seychelles, well we never seem to see or hear about him unless crashing car.

It's like we have signed Mr Toad from Wind in the Willows. I imagine Moose driving around like a demented lunatic with chequed trousers on and driving goggles tooting his horn, shouting 'tally ho' in his best David Jason voice whilst crashing his car. He's got to do something to relieve the boredom after counting his piles of cash laid around Moose Hall.

For me the only MF in our current set up that will warrant a start next season is Fleck and that's only if he continues to show the improvement of late.

If he doesn't then it's a whole new 1st choice 3 and at least 1 or 2 back ups so up to 5 players needed just for the MF unless Forest don't take up the option on Freeman.

I also think we shouldn't just automatically go back to 3412 but also have the option of 3421 for teams that really sit in, and there'll be plenty of them next season even after our performances this season. A 3421 would see us having the ability to have potentially 4 players overloading on each side of the pitch.

I'd probably see the 2 options as something like this:

...................................................Rambo................................................
...................Bash..........................Egan..............O'Connell...............
FG/Bogle..........New Signing...........Fleck............Stevens/RND
....................................Freeman/New Signing................................
...........................McBurnie........................Brewster.........................

..................................................Rambo.................................................
..................Bash.......................Egan............O'Connell.....................
FG/Bogle.........New Signing...........Fleck............Stevens/RND
...............Burke/Didzy............Freeman/New Signing.................
.....................................McBurnie/Brewster......................................

As for the new signings I'm really not sure although I'd be amazed if he didn't go back in for Swift if his injury issues aren't long term.

We also need to address the Basham situation and bring in his long term replacement and give them plenty of game time.

I know but there should be some parachute money available to rebuild that midfield and 15 isn’t an astronomical fee at champ level anymore.
not a chance we’ll spend that sort of money next season, 4/5 mil signings for us

not a chance we’ll spend that sort of money next season, 4/5 mil signings for us
I think it depends who goes and how many we’re looking to bring in.

This is Sheffield United!
I’d be interested who you think we’d be looking at your player suggestions are normally quite rational.

I think we’d be looking at bringing in a deep lying player and 10 and a box to box option maybe with some reinforcements for depth/competition at centreback.

Mine would be the three I mention plus maybe McNair who Seth suggested. Then maybe the lad O’Brien at Huddersfield and maybe some of the younger lads at Middlesbrough but only if the price was right as punts.

For me the only MF in our current set up that will warrant a start next season is Fleck and that's only if he continues to show the improvement of late.

If he doesn't then it's a whole new 1st choice 3 and at least 1 or 2 back ups so up to 5 players needed just for the MF unless Forest don't take up the option on Freeman.

I also think we shouldn't just automatically go back to 3412 but also have the option of 3421 for teams that really sit in, and there'll be plenty of them next season even after our performances this season. A 3421 would see us having the ability to have potentially 4 players overloading on each side of the pitch.

I'd probably see the 2 options as something like this:

...................................................Rambo................................................
...................Bash..........................Egan..............O'Connell...............
FG/Bogle..........New Signing...........Fleck............Stevens/RND
....................................Freeman/New Signing................................
...........................McBurnie........................Brewster.........................

..................................................Rambo.................................................
..................Bash.......................Egan............O'Connell.....................
FG/Bogle.........New Signing...........Fleck............Stevens/RND
...............Burke/Didzy............Freeman/New Signing.................
.....................................McBurnie/Brewster......................................

As for the new signings I'm really not sure although I'd be amazed if he didn't go back in for Swift if his injury issues aren't long term.

We also need to address the Basham situation and bring in his long term replacement and give them plenty of game time.
You contradict yourself in your opening line! Name me another midfielder anywhere willing to turn out with a broken back? Name me one other midfielder rushed to hospital last weekend, not trained most of the week, willing to do whatever it takes for his manager and club?

I’d be interested who you think we’d be looking at your player suggestions are normally quite rational.

I think we’d be looking at bringing in a deep lying player and 10 and a box to box option maybe with some reinforcements for depth/competition at centreback.

Mine would be the three I mention plus maybe McNair who Seth suggested. Then maybe the lad O’Brien at Huddersfield and maybe some of the younger lads at Middlesbrough but only if the price was right as punts.
CWAK won’t be splashing £15m on some 18/19 year kid who’s spent most of this season getting splinters in his arse! Midfield is probably where we use or premier league loans next season? Maybe loan to buy, even? Keep seeing Coulibaly being mentioned, but he wasn’t a CWAK signing, so not expecting to see him around either.

all for a slight change round.

If we maintain 3 at the back then we SHOULD return to 3412 - we tweaked 3412 to 352 for the Premier league - we tweak it back to 3412.

Rammers
Bash, but perhaps new signing.
Egan
JOC
Baldock/Bogle
Berge - yes Berge - he signed a 4 year contract from memory - hold him to it for at least 1 year.
Fleck
RND
New no:10 - not convinced mcg can do a whole season of 46 games- 2 per week - OR should Freeman be given that opportunity.
Brewster
Not sure who else up top - 100% not McB

UTB

CWAK won’t be splashing £15m on some 18/19 year kid who’s spent most of this season getting splinters in his arse! Midfield is probably where we use or premier league loans next season? Maybe loan to buy, even? Keep seeing Coulibaly being mentioned, but he wasn’t a CWAK signing, so not expecting to see him around either.
Coulibaly could be interesting but like you say there’s a few obstacles there work permit and who’s man he is so I agree I don’t think he’ll see the field next year. In terms of loans you could be right on that one I know there’s garner at Man U for the deep lying role maybe he goes out to the champ again and we have good relationships there. Gallagher would work as a box to box option but as others have said that depends if Chelsea want him in the prem again.

You contradict yourself in your opening line! Name me another midfielder anywhere willing to turn out with a broken back? Name me one other midfielder rushed to hospital last weekend, not trained most of the week, willing to do whatever it takes for his manager and club?

So I take it you were happy with his performances after the 1st lockdown then?

I love Fleck. He's by far and away my favourite player of the Wilder era but he hasn't been fully on it since before the 1st lockdown. He'd shown signs of getting back to his usual self recently hence my "opening line" as you put it. Did I mention his performance yesterday, no I didn't!

If he's back to anything like his old self then he's a certain starter in The Championship for me and means we need 1 less signing able to go straight into the 1st 11.

So I take it you were happy with his performances after the 1st lockdown then?

I love Fleck. He's by far and away my favourite player of the Wilder era but he hasn't been fully on it since before the 1st lockdown. He'd shown signs of getting back to his usual self recently hence my "opening line" as you put it. Did I mention his performance yesterday, no I didn't!

If he's back to anything like his old self then he's a certain starter in The Championship for me and means we need 1 less signing able to go straight into the 1st 11.
Form is temporary. Injuries are part and parcel of the game. If Flecky is fit, he’s by far the best midfielder in the championship, and a minimum mid table premier league player.

The midfield is the heart and soul of any team. That’s why I would have a total clear out. At present we haven’t really got the personality or the creativity in the middle of the park to change games or boss opponents. You could maybe make a case for Fleck, but when he returns after injury or suspension, it always takes him far too long to get back up to speed. I simply can’t see Berge still being here next season and I think Lunny might have burnt his bridges with club and fans alike. Norwood is a bit of a liability against aggressive midfield opponents and Osborn ain’t a midfielder. Luke Freeman never really got a look in, but he ain’t been pulling up any trees with the scabs. So if we manage to get JOC to stay at the back, I think all our investment should focus on building a brand new “engine room” in midfield.

Coulibaly could be interesting but like you say there’s a few obstacles there work permit and who’s man he is so I agree I don’t think he’ll see the field next year. In terms of loans you could be right on that one I know there’s garner at Man U for the deep lying role maybe he goes out to the champ again and we have good relationships there. Gallagher would work as a box to box option but as others have said that depends if Chelsea want him in the prem again.
Coulibaly isn’t getting a starting place in a side struggling for form in the Belgian league.
I think expecting these young players to be of the quality needed to get us promoted next season could be a serious stretch. Some of the youngsters could have an important part to play and it will be also important for their development but if they were already at that level more teams would have been in for them last season on loan or they’d be starting more games at their current clubs.

The midfield is the heart and soul of any team. That’s why I would have a total clear out. At present we haven’t really got the personality or the creativity in the middle of the park to change games or boss opponents. You could maybe make a case for Fleck, but when he returns after injury or suspension, it always takes him far too long to get back up to speed. I simply can’t see Berge still being here next season and I think Lunny might have burnt his bridges with club and fans alike. Norwood is a bit of a liability against aggressive midfield opponents and Osborn ain’t a midfielder. Luke Freeman never really got a look in, but he ain’t been pulling up any trees with the scabs. So if we manage to get JOC to stay at the back, I think all our investment should focus on building a brand new “engine room” in midfield.

Mowatt is available on a free and would put pressure on Fleck, is technically very good, he’s young and for an added bonus settled in the area. We just need to offer competitive championship wages.

Coulibaly isn’t getting a starting place in a side struggling for form in the Belgian league.
I think expecting these young players to be of the quality needed to get us promoted next season could be a serious stretch. Some of the youngsters could have an important part to play and it will be also important for their development but if they were already at that level more teams would have been in for them last season on loan or they’d be starting more games at their current clubs.
In fairness Gallagher is playing fairly regularly for west Brom and garner has made 25 appearances for Forest and Watford this year so he’ll probably go top end champ next year. I do agree that prem loanees are a bit hit or miss but a fair amount of promoted teams have added the quality that got them over the line through loans.

In fairness Gallagher is playing fairly regularly for west Brom and garner has made 25 appearances for Forest and Watford this year so he’ll probably go top end champ next year. I do agree that prem loanees are a bit hit or miss but a fair amount of promoted teams have added the quality that got them over the line through loans.
I would 100% want us to sign Gallagher but on a loan to buy upon promotion. He would be good on the right, Mowatt the young option on the left.
WRT Garner, do you think he’s likely to start for us week in week out? I’m not so sure whereas I think Gallagher could command that.

I would 100% want us to sign Gallagher but on a loan to buy upon promotion. He would be good on the right, Mowatt the young option on the left.
I mean that kind of deal for Gallagher would be ideal it’s unlikely but I’d be over the moon. Mowatt I get on a free as a squad option but I’d have concerns over his athleticism at a higher level.

I mean that kind of deal for Gallagher would be ideal it’s unlikely but I’d be over the moon. Mowatt I get on a free as a squad option but I’d have concerns over his athleticism at a higher level.
On a free I see it as very low risk almost a hit for nothing. If he can’t make the grade he’s replaced, he can certainly play Championship football to the level we need in our squad so they’ll be interest should he not work out.

Last edited:
how many loans can we have in the championship yogi ? think we will need at least 6 in so possibly 3 signings and 3 loans

how many loans can we have in the championship yogi ? think we will need at least 6 in so possibly 3 signings and 3 loans
I don’t know how many you can have in total but it’s a max of 5 in any match day squad but we’d probably want to limit it to a max of 3 for team cohesion.

Judging by this seasons performances Berge is our only sellable asset, so he will probably get sold. Lundstram is probably our second most sellable asset...
Unfortunately Lundstrum isn’t a sellable asset as he’s out of contract and has no financial value to the blades whatsoever.

In current structure, this is how i see the options

DMC
Berge would flourish in a possession team in the Championship, new starter if he goes
Norwood is probably capable backup.

RCM
Complete rebuild needed on right hadn side (No10 role?), both new starter needed and backup needed. Need someone comfortable on the ball and with a the ability to run at defenders.
With Bogle at RWB, our right hand side has potential to be very attacking and dynamic.

LCM
Fleck probably keeps his place with recent form showing glimpses of what he can do.
Osborn capable backup. Would like to see a younger player brought through into squad

Berge may go
Lundstram will be gone
Ampadu will be gone
Rodwell will be gone
Freeman probably won't return
Basham should never play midfield
Coulibaly will stay in Belgium
Slater isn't good enough

Possibly leaving us with just 3 senior midfielders, only one I'd be happy to see starting in Fleck. Needs a LOT of focus.
If Wilder cannot see this, i worry for next year.

Gus Hamer from Coventry is top of my wish list. Deep lying play maker who can play a touch further forward. Tremendous ball playing ability, set pieces, and has 5 goals for Cov to his name in the past year.

Alex Mowatt is next on my wish list, he’ll be free, it’s an absolute no brainer.

I think people need to be more realistic about what is required to reboot this team.

You can't pencil Fleck in as a starter. His fitness record is getting worse. You'd like to say he plays when he's fit but traditionally it takes him a month to get back to being of any use at all. Osborn is workmanlike and can cover multiple positions.

If the system doesn't change (I'd be shocked if it does) it'll be Norwood in there next season. Berge is going. Norwood was excellent in the Championship last time but we have no idea if his current alarming form is his new permanent level.

We don't have any other midfielders.

This is not going to be a case of "let's forget last year and start again". This core has run it's course and genuine, well thought out decisions need to be made about the direction the team wants to take.

I think people need to be more realistic about what is required to reboot this team.

You can't pencil Fleck in as a starter. His fitness record is getting worse. You'd like to say he plays when he's fit but traditionally it takes him a month to get back to being of any use at all. Osborn is workmanlike and can cover multiple positions.

If the system doesn't change (I'd be shocked if it does) it'll be Norwood in there next season. Berge is going. Norwood was excellent in the Championship last time but we have no idea if his current alarming form is his new permanent level.

We don't have any other midfielders.

This is not going to be a case of "let's forget last year and start again". This core has run it's course and genuine, well thought out decisions need to be made about the direction the team wants to take.
we will definetly need 3 more midfielders to come in as you say lundstram and berge will be gone and we cant be sure if fleck and norwood are going to be good enough even for the championship

Regarding the midfield, I would chuck all the babies out with the bath water. As I see it our failure to score goals along with our inability to keep a clean sheet, is almost exclusively down to our poor midfield. They never get the blame for our lack of goals or the leaky defence. But the virtually non existent protection they afford our defence, as well as the number of times way they meekly give the ball away, is always gonna put our back line under pressure. Similarly going forward, they starve our front players of decent service and often leave them marooned up front on their own.

Back
Top Bottom