Midfield Revamp next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would cash in on Berge, he doesn’t have the intensity for the Championship. He’s ill suited to that league (and the PL IMHO).

Fleck and Norwood need replacing. And we need to revert back to a number 10 in the midfield three.

Right now I’d take someone who does the simple things well tackles, gets around the pitch, takes responsibility for the ball when he has it and is always looking to make themselves available.
I dont agree fully with that. The ‘basics’ should be a given for pro-football. For prem you need that and a lot lot more. I think we have the basics, i dont have the stats to hand but ive heard many times pundits talking about how mobile we are and that we always out run teams. Its great that we have a ‘fit’ team but we need more to be able to compete at the highest level in world football.

Midfield is pathetic? Wait till you see our back 3 at Old Trafford!

The fear this is giving me. Our midfield 3 is just very championship.
A back three of : Basham-Ampadu - Bryan or Basham-Jagielka-- Ampadu, is barely even league one. Leon Britton would score a few headers against them 3

I liked that moment in the first half where one of their players drove into our midfield and was Lunny’s man. The player then fell over himself, got back up and carried on running, with Lunny just sat watching this unfold.

I dont agree fully with that. The ‘basics’ should be a given for pro-football. For prem you need that and a lot lot more. I think we have the basics, i dont have the stats to hand but ive heard many times pundits talking about how mobile we are and that we always out run teams. Its great that we have a ‘fit’ team but we need more to be able to compete at the highest level in world football.
Today we didn’t do the basics so many times a midfielder received the ball with no one around them offering themselves creating options so many times we were crowded out by spurs without a United shirt in sight. I’ll take your point more generally though perhaps I am overly emotional today this was the performance for me this season that’s really angered me.

We need a whole new midfield next season. I doubt Berge would hang around anyway but he doesn't fit into how we play.

Today we didn’t do the basics so many times a midfielder received the ball with no one around them offering themselves creating options so many times we were crowded out by spurs without a United shirt in sight. I’ll take your point more generally though perhaps I am overly emotional today this was the performance for me this season that’s really angered me.
Ive spent 90% of this season slagging the team off unfortunately, today probably isnt even in the worst 5 performances of the season which tells you enough. It isnt good enough. Wilder has been poor tactically, and in recruitment, dare i say it has been nieve in thinking these players are prem quality. 120mil spent on this bunch is absurd!

The players are clearly not to the standards but their heart and desire is in it. They are just devoid of confidence and in many cases i think they know they cant compete like for like with pretty much any opponent.

I feel for the players but for me wilder has caused this, he had the option of using the vast amounts of money he was given more wisely and instead of investing in the first 11 hes spent 120 on subs whilst our aging team is still champ standards and a year older.

If berge stays, play him in front of defence. Get coulibaly in and spend a bit of money on a creative midfielder that’s gonna create chances, like a pereira at the baggies- even if we don’t challenge for promotion next season, I’ll just be happy to stay up- the squad needs a rebuild.

Ive spent 90% of this season slagging the team off unfortunately, today probably isnt even in the worst 5 performances of the season which tells you enough. It isnt good enough. Wilder has been poor tactically, and in recruitment, dare i say it has been nieve in thinking these players are prem quality. 120mil spent on this bunch is absurd!

The players are clearly not to the standards but their heart and desire is in it. They are just devoid of confidence and in many cases i think they know they cant compete like for like with pretty much any opponent.

I feel for the players but for me wilder has caused this, he had the option of using the vast amounts of money he was given more wisely and instead of investing in the first 11 hes spent 120 on subs whilst our aging team is still champ standards and a year older.
I agree with you that with hindsight we did the wrong business but then hindsight is always spot on.

I think off the back of last season we were overly ambitious in terms of our transfer approach. I think we signed players who we thought could develop ( and still might do) into the type of players we’ll never be able to afford in their prime. This was done on the assumption that the senior players would perform and something like last years levels. I think everyone expected a drop off I did too just not one as catastrophic as this. We made the mistake of thinking we had arrived and I wonder if the players and manager did too new deals all round plaudits from all corners.

All that said I still think wilder should be given money in the summer to complete this rebuild mainly because if we don’t then buying those players will truly have been pointless as we won’t have given them a platform to succeed.

I really don’t understand why he doesn’t bring a few up from under 23??

I would take duffy right now, thats how devoid of prem quality we are
Even at 35 years old, we'd all still take Duffy now wouldn't we? Even if he's past it, even if he can only manage one half, even if we still go down. Just imagine being able to watch some creativity again, and seeing that old formation a few last times. How can it be any worse than this?

All fair comments, but all these people saying Berge will go/build around Berge have been watching a different Berge to me...

He's as much a part of the problem as anyone else this season!

I agree with you that with hindsight we did the wrong business but then hindsight is always spot on.

I think off the back of last season we were overly ambitious in terms of our transfer approach. I think we signed players who we thought could develop ( and still might do) into the type of players we’ll never be able to afford in their prime. This was done on the assumption that the senior players would perform and something like last years levels. I think everyone expected a drop off I did too just not one as catastrophic as this. We made the mistake of thinking we had arrived and I wonder if the players and manager did too new deals all round plaudits from all corners.

All that said I still think wilder should be given money in the summer to complete this rebuild mainly because if we don’t then buying those players will truly have been pointless as we won’t have given them a platform to succeed.
Not sure i trust wilder to carry on building such a mediocre squad. Agree we were naive and took our foot of the gas and now our team has been exposed and we’ve spent all the funds needed to overhaul it on averageness.

Not sure i trust wilder to carry on building such a mediocre squad. Agree we were naive and took our foot of the gas and now our team has been exposed and we’ve spent all the funds needed to overhaul it on averageness.
Ultimately we will go how these players go over the next few years Brewster, Ramsdale, McBurnie, Berge (if he stays) and bogle. Hopefully this season won’t affect them long term as we’ll see some signs of development. We need to address midfield and centreback to build a spine. Up until this summer we have a decent record for recruitment in the pond we will be fishing in in the summer hopefully Mitchell, wilder and the recruitment team will rediscover that Midas touch.

If wilder isn’t trusted with funds then he has to go. Not because I want him to go I’d be devastated but because large portions of that squad are still ageing and will need replacing in the next 18 months and that will require funds.

Berge will develop into a top class player in a decent team........Sadly we are nowhere near a decent team.

Get Norwood gone, Lundstram will be off anyway. Hopefully Berge will stay and try and build the team around him. We need 2/3 younger, quicker, better midfielders that can actually create good chances and take on players. To have the midfield we have now in the premier league is pathetic and shows how far away we really are.
If Berge did stay we have to change our way we play he doesn't fit in our style at the moment

The main thing our midfield is missing is dynamism. We've not got a player who can burst past a player with pace or tricky. It's all turgid, side to side football barely above walking pace in most instances. We need young, hungry, energetic players who can beat a man and be creative.

We could've done a lot worse than bringing Ben Whiteman back, assuming we had a buy back clause but that ship has sailed now

All fair comments, but all these people saying Berge will go/build around Berge have been watching a different Berge to me...

He's as much a part of the problem as anyone else this season!

You crazy! or blind or blind and crazy!

I think we are in serious danger of having a fire sale to be honest we need athletic players

Unfortunately we're not allowed skill, flair, ability, creativity, athleticism and the willingness to take a game by the scruff of the neck in an attacking sense.

Our midfield next season will consist of some workhorse who can't get in a creative Championship team and three hard working, industrious League One midfielders that havd showed a bit of bite and all those other attributes that Sheffield United look for

You crazy! or blind or blind and crazy!

Settle down Mrs Berge...

Maybe I'm blind, because this season he's looked so far off where a midfielder needs to be from a physical perspective in the modern PL. He looks slow, cumbersome and behind the pace in most of the games this season.

Unfortunately I think we'll need to revamp the defence too. There will be clubs after Egan, he's one of very few to look PL quality and if JOC comes back next month and can prove there's no lasting damage from the injury there will be clubs after him too.

Norwood might be ok in championship with less dynamic and powerful players against him. Lundstram is going, Fleck is a shadow of his former self. I wouldn't be surprised if Berge wanted out too.

Is Wilder the right man to spend the money to rebuild? I think our attack is going to be fine/good in the Championship.

Oh, and we're in desperate need of a new GK I'm afraid. I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest Ramsdale's only issue is confidence.

Nah! I see it the other way around.

Burke has looked great, Didsy and silky as ever, McBurnie gets zero service and we haven't a clue how to play Brewster as yet.
Thats 4 very good options for a Championship season.

You've just said it yourself, Fleck/Norwood/Lundstram are playing behind Championship level forwards.

Back
Top Bottom