MGW - saint or sinner?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I think MGW holds the key for us for the rest of the season. We tick with him in the side and if he gets recalled to Wolves in Jan, I can only see us struggling.
We said the same

Take him out - where’s the creativity / excitement ?

A sinner all day long. Please take him out of the team

I love his determination and workrate, he's competive and tries to force the issue every game. The petulance needs cutting out, but it's been a while since we had anybody like him.

I hope we keep him and McGoldrick in the team together for a while now.

Fantastic player , wish we had him permanently. Just needs to stop the showboating. No need for it , doesn't get you anywhere just play the pass. Also not keen on if a player goes past him , he feels the need to give the daft free kick away by making contact with the player. We have a couple who do it.

He's not the finished article, but he's fun to watch. He tries things and, while they don't always come off, he doesn't hide. He reminds me of Brooks when he was here. Plenty to improve, but he gets you off your seat.

Unpopular opinion time. MGW is clearly our most exciting player and he has made a massive difference to the team‘s creativity but he was lucky to stay on the pitch again today, particularly given how many cards the ref dished out in the 1st half, and he misses more chances than the rest of the team creates. It may be that he’s trying too hard and you can’t knock him for that but it would be good to see Super Jack take him under his wing and help him to deliver some more composed performances.
He misses more chances than the rest of the team because he gets into better positions or creates them for himself and frustrating though it can be, I'd never really criticise somebody for that. I thinks it's more important that he's having the attempts and he's there to miss them. We've had too many prepared to pass the book this season.

He has played very well under two different managers now. It’s a pity we can’t say the same for many of the squad.
Worth remembering that the good recent results have come against weaker teams, but I hope the new manager bounce continues.
Hecky has given them the freedom to try things, under the condition that, if you lose the ball, you fight to get it back.
The side look more galvanized, given a bit of freedom, and the players have responded to that. Long May it continue.
My hopes for the clubs future will rest on MGW, Didzy and eventually Berge, all improving each other’s game, under a manager who accepts the reality that players with skill can always try things, but they have to work harder if things don’t always come off.
The next two games will be a good test of the manager, and the squad.

Whenever he gets on the ball it feels like something is gonna happen- whether he creates a chance for us or the opposition!

I think MGW holds the key for us for the rest of the season. We tick with him in the side and if he gets recalled to Wolves in Jan, I can only see us struggling.
Wolves are currently 6th in the PL mate and their manager has gone on record to say that he is happy with MGW's progress with us this season.

I wouldn't put my house on it, but I would probably put my car on him not being recalled in January.

I wish he'd stop diving trying to get a penalty.

He's young. If he had an end product, better decisions and more defensive attributes he'd be in the Wolves first team.
So....
All he needs to do is:-
Grow up
Score
Pass
Tackle / cover
🤔
By those criteria Dean Hammond (dob 07:03:83) has a better chance of playing in the WW 1st team

NB his heading is shit n’all

Still a raw talent, there’s a reason he’s got so much technical ability but isn’t playing regularly for Wolves.

Needs to work on that final bit of composure be it an incisive pass or a finish.

Very good technical young player who is improving and learning all the time. The loan hopefully for the full season, will be good for both clubs and the lad himself.

He does need to cut out the diving in for tackles in needless areas, and the tendency to fall over looking for a penalty (or diving for want of a better word). He could very easily have been sent off twice yesterday, once at the end of the 1st half when he took out one of their players when he was already on a booking and you could almost see the ref weighing it up, and in the 2nd half when he went over in their box for nowt - that could easily been a second yellow. Ref calls either of those against us and we have a big problem winning that game.

At half time I was advocating giving him until 60 minutes to try and help us get that 2nd goal in the first 15 of the second half before getting him off the pitch to ensure we still had 11 on the pitch at the end. Tbf, his tackling was a lot better after his brain fart at the end of the first half.

Love the lads ability and will to win, but Hecky and the coaches need to have a word in his ear about staying on the pitch. His ability for flair and his skills are of no use to us if he's sat in the dugout and we are down to 10 men. Gotta love his enthusiasm though.

Last edited:
He absolutely shit his pants when he did that foul near the end of the first half ,the ball stayed in for a long time which probably saved him. What a player, love his ability enthusiasm and attitude.

He was saved the instant the referee played advantage. If he's going to give a red card then it needs to be an enormous advantage to continue play, which starting a counter in their own half wasn't

Wolves are currently 6th in the PL mate and their manager has gone on record to say that he is happy with MGW's progress with us this season.

I wouldn't put my house on it, but I would probably put my car on him not being recalled in January.

This is a worry though

He's 21 and shows some great touches and does have some end product. Absolutely should be involved in every game
On second thoughts having seen these highlight I'm noit sure he has what it takes at this level. Oli Burke might be a better option ?

Tactic for the last 2 games has largely been ‘gi it to MGW or Didz and they’ll do summat’

He’s frustrating and the dives and silly fouls are annoying, but he’s class on the ball
That’s what Slav used to do with no structure around him / Didz to provide the platform to take some risks further up the field. SJ formation was taking risks all over the field. We now have three clean sheets in a row and look far less like a shower of shit at the back. A platform to build on and create stuff much further up the pitch.
All teams need talented players to make a difference but if you cannot defend and you don’t win the ball back or win your individual battles no amount of fancy Dan is going to win you a game of football. You’ll get out done by sides that are more organised and work as a team - as has been on display for much of the season.

Unpopular opinion time. MGW is clearly our most exciting player and he has made a massive difference to the team‘s creativity but he was lucky to stay on the pitch again today, particularly given how many cards the ref dished out in the 1st half, and he misses more chances than the rest of the team creates. It may be that he’s trying too hard and you can’t knock him for that but it would be good to see Super Jack take him under his wing and help him to deliver some more composed performances.
Great observation.
He’s raw, exciting, talented, entertaining, energetic and different to anything else we have. Obvious flaws in discipline but that can come with coaching and now he’s got a team of people behind him that will encourage, develop, mentor and guide him - he can only get better 😁👍🏻

This is a worry though

Possibly, but their manager still might not see him as being ready. Easy for me to say, but surely it's best to let him get a full season with us, most likely starting every game, rather than having him back as glorified cover?

Very good technical young player who is improving and learning all the time. The loan hopefully for the full season, will be good for both clubs and the lad himself.

He does need to cut out the diving in for tackles in needless areas, and the tendency to fall over looking for a penalty (or diving for want of a better word). He could very easily have been sent off twice yesterday, once at the end of the 1st half when he took out one of their players when he was already on a booking and you could almost see the ref weighing it up, and in the 2nd half when he went over in their box for nowt - that could easily been a second yellow. Ref calls either of those against us and we have a big problem winning that game.

At half time I was advocating giving him until 60 minutes to try and help us get that 2nd goal in the first 15 of the second half before getting him off the pitch to ensure we still had 11 on the pitch at the end. Tbf, his tackling was a lot better after his brain fart at the end of the first half.

Love the lads ability and will to win, but Hecky and the coaches need to have a word in his ear about staying on the pitch. His ability for flair and his skills are of no use to us if he's sat in the dugout and we are down to 10 men. Gotta love his enthusiasm though.
I was advocating taking him off at halftime as I thought he was likely to get himself sent off. Fair play, he calmed down a bit second half but there was a terrible dive which he is very lucky wasn't properly seen.

He's running his a*se off in every game with and without the ball. He also gets frustrated while his stuff doesn't end like he wanted and that's the weak spot which gets him in troubles.

I think he needs some kind of mental adjusting to easy with trying too hard. He is so damn good even without the fancy tricks.

Full of flicks, tricks, twists, spins and turns. He over does it at times, and in that respect he reminds me of Ronaldo when he first went to Man Utd. Games, experience and wise coaching will hopefully teach him to maximise his talent more effectively.

He’s got flair, Skill, Strength and a great work ethic at the same time, I’m not sure what there isn’t to like about the bloke and he’s certainly going to be a top player.

Should he be in the team? Honestly how is that even a question.

If we had an entire team of MGWs we’d get cut through but he’s skilful, exciting and a level above. It’s why I go to football matches.

Just bumping this thread as MGW seems to have gone off the boil in the last two games but he has in my opinion been played out of position.
play him upfront alongside Sharp and he invariably receives the ball with his back to goal, where he invariably looks to flick it or turn it round the corner as opposed to retain possession and either lay it back or find another way to RETAIN possessio.

play him in midfield where he was when Berge was replaced midway through the second half and he is a different player, he takes players on, runs beyond them and is involved in the thick of things with players ahead of him moving to create space for him to run into.

Back
Top Bottom