Memries of Chelsea

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Last time I went was with a load of exiled blades from Wales and Bristol all in fancy dress as arabs for some reason in 1994 ish when we lost 3-2 and went down.
We went in the Butchers Arms next to the ground real early until kick off, wasn't too friendly after a while and a bit nasty so I wouldn't recommend it.
Not content with relegating us one of em broke a beer bottle over a mates head in the Fulham Broadway tube station queue after the game.

I remember going a few years earlier, about 1990 in the cup on their open end and the attendance was about 30 k but a few days earlier they'd had a home attendance of about 8k which showed how fickle their support can be.

I was at the Reading v Chelsea game at the Madejski the week before when Cech collided with Hunt, replaced by Cudicini who was then knocked out and John Terry ended up in goal.

Didn't realise at the time how serious the injury to Cech was, so naturally considered it a great outcome for the Blades the following week.....
I’ve not seen it in a long time but I always thought Hunt did Cech deliberately. He had a habit of leaving his foot in on people in general.

There were 34,000 at the cup tie we lost in 92 but Chelsea only had 7000 three days before when they played Southampton in the league.
We also had a higher average attendance than Chelsea that year.
Set of Johnny-come-latelys.
The cup was genuinely more appreciated back then.

Mickey Droy breaking his leg at the Lane. And the big chuff being too long for the stretcher provided by the St John's guys who did that stuff back then. It was wet, slippery and Mickey was a heavy lad, so they dropped him hallway off the pitch. :)

You omit the 3-0 defeat on our last trip to Stamford Bridge. Possibly the worst 25 minutes of the Premier League season: Shevchenko put them 1-0 up after 4, Kalou doubled the lead in the 17th then we lost Hulse - and a great proportion of our hopes of staying up - to a broken leg in the 25th.
I said immediately after it was clear he was badly injured ‘that’s it, we’re fucked, we’re going down’.

Mickey Droy breaking his leg at the Lane. And the big chuff being too long for the stretcher provided by the St John's guys who did that stuff back then. It was wet, slippery and Mickey was a heavy lad, so they dropped him hallway off the pitch. :)
February 1975. It was feared he had dislocated a bone in his leg but it turned out to be damaged ligaments and returned to 1st team action 6 weeks later.

Chelsea 6 Blades 1 in Sept 1961. At the end of the season Blades finished in 5th place and Chelsea got relegated

1567097026774.png

Chelsea 1 (Tambling) Blades 1 (Birchenall) in November 1966. Bill Punton's debut

1567097274003.png

Chelsea 2 Blades 0 in FA Cup 5th round March 1967

1567097327473.png

I said immediately after it was clear he was badly injured ‘that’s it, we’re fucked, we’re going down’.
You just knew didn't you, a bit like Ched being sent down, that that was that. 😣 Not sure why I'm going Saturday after Steingate and Hulse broken leg. Not exactly good memories of visiting there.

One of my first ever games was Chelsea at home in the early 90s.won 4-2. That's as much as my memory tells me before I Google it....

8/5/93. 4-2.

View attachment 60431
The Chelsea fans were pretty impressive that day
Four nil down and gave a sparkling rendition of one man went to mow
The most impressed ive ever been with away fans at the lane

Yes we never recovered from losing Hulse but the worst 3-0 defeat was the PATHETIC attempt we made at Villa OMG woeful. I met Rob Hulse up at Shirecliffe he was helping BHF and I was a patient so to speak got in Star and on Calendar.

One of my first ever games was Chelsea at home in the early 90s.won 4-2. That's as much as my memory tells me before I Google it....

8/5/93. 4-2.

View attachment 60431
We should have had at least two more goals. Culprits were Scott(s)
Dane Whitehouse marauding, good word for a Thursday, down the left.
Chelsea decided to turn up and play late on in the match.

You said that the tickets were returned by SUFC which isnt true! It is the Chelsea fans who have decided not to go to this Saturday's game that have returned the tickets.

You said that the tickets were returned by SUFC which isnt true! It is the Chelsea fans who have decided not to go to this Saturday's game that have returned the tickets.
That’s not how I read it but you’re probably right. I was surprised as I stated and tbf it does read like we’ve returned tickets, to me anyway.

Think it’s just a poorly worded statement.

That’s not how I read it but you’re probably right. I was surprised as I stated and tbf it does read like we’ve returned tickets, to me anyway.

Think it’s just a poorly worded statement.
There are many Blades with over 40K loyalty points that were hoping that the 2,900 allocation wouldnt be sold out. There were no tickets left for sale on the day before their priority.

I’ve never been to Stamford Bridge but I will be there on Saturday.

When I think of Chelsea I think of the 1970’s team with “Chopper” Harris, Peter “The Cat” Bonnetti, Peter Osgood, Alan Hudson, David Webb and the like. And probably most memorable of all, Ian Hutchison with his long throw and unusual “Windmill” arms technique.

1992. There was a lot of trouble in Covent Garden after the match that resulted in a pub being closed. A few hours later and following an incident on Golders Green Road 12 blades ended up eventually in The Magistrates Court that referred them to the to the Crown. They were given 50 mile banning orders from London the first ever imposed in the uk. Anyway eventually justice was done as the chief witness did not show. ( the evidence at one point suggested blades must have been PSG fans as it sounded like foreign people shouting french running down the road...allegedly I must stress ..) most people don’t know but that day on the away end we had Frank Bruno’s minder supporting us ... I kid you not ! The good old days ! ( alleged story)

Seen Blades twice at the Bridge.

1990 we drew 2-2 from 0-2 down I think. Also I seem to remember we had a goal disallowed and Vinny scored one ? (SilentBlade-pedia required on that match please) and the 0-1 cup defeat in 92. Back then Stamford Bridge really was a shithole !!

UTB.

1990 we drew 2-2 from 0-2 down I think. Also I seem to remember we had a goal disallowed and Vinny scored one ? (SilentBlade-pedia required on that match please) and the 0-1 cup defeat in 92. Back then Stamford Bridge really was a shithole !!

UTB.
Marwood had a goal disallowed for offside

Look at the attendance !

We forget
Score2-1 to Sheffield United
RefereeDavid Allison
CompetitionPremier League
VenueStamford Bridge
Attendance13,763
View Chelsea v Sheffield United head to head
1Chelsea
2Sheffield United

Goals:
Andy Townsend41
G
Goals:
Adrian Littlejohn40
G
Brian Deane57
G
Starting lineup:
GoalkeeperKevin Hitchcock
DefenderMal Donaghy
DefenderGareth Hall
DefenderDavid Lee
Defender/Centre backFrank Sinclair
MidfielderEddie Newton
MidfielderGraham Stuart
MidfielderAndy Townsend
MidfielderDennis Wise
ForwardRobert Fleck
ForwardMick Harford
Starting lineup:
GoalkeeperSimon Tracey
DefenderPaul Beesley
Defender/Centre backBrian Gayle
Defender/MidfielderKevin Gage
Defender/Left backTom Cowan
MidfielderJohn Gannon
MidfielderGlyn Hodges
MidfielderPaul Rogers
MidfielderMitch Ward
ForwardBrian Deane
ForwardAdrian Littlejohn
Substitutions:
Graeme Le Saux for Graham Stuart59
Joe Allon for Robert Fleck69
Substitutions:
Jamie Hoyland for John Gannon76
On the bench:
GoalkeeperAlec Chamberlain
Defender/Left backGraeme Le Saux
ForwardJoe Allon
On the bench:
GoalkeeperAlan Kelly
Defender/MidfielderJamie Hoyland
ForwardAlan Cork

Comments:
Joe Allon made his final appearance before moving to Brentford in November.

Comments:

Look at the attendance !

We forget
Score2-1 to Sheffield United
RefereeDavid Allison
CompetitionPremier League
VenueStamford Bridge
Attendance13,763
View Chelsea v Sheffield United head to head
1Chelsea
2Sheffield United

Goals:
Andy Townsend41
G
Goals:
Adrian Littlejohn40
G
Brian Deane57
G
Starting lineup:
GoalkeeperKevin Hitchcock
DefenderMal Donaghy
DefenderGareth Hall
DefenderDavid Lee
Defender/Centre backFrank Sinclair
MidfielderEddie Newton
MidfielderGraham Stuart
MidfielderAndy Townsend
MidfielderDennis Wise
ForwardRobert Fleck
ForwardMick Harford
Starting lineup:
GoalkeeperSimon Tracey
DefenderPaul Beesley
Defender/Centre backBrian Gayle
Defender/MidfielderKevin Gage
Defender/Left backTom Cowan
MidfielderJohn Gannon
MidfielderGlyn Hodges
MidfielderPaul Rogers
MidfielderMitch Ward
ForwardBrian Deane
ForwardAdrian Littlejohn
Substitutions:
Graeme Le Saux for Graham Stuart59
Joe Allon for Robert Fleck69
Substitutions:
Jamie Hoyland for John Gannon76
On the bench:
GoalkeeperAlec Chamberlain
Defender/Left backGraeme Le Saux
ForwardJoe Allon
On the bench:
GoalkeeperAlan Kelly
Defender/MidfielderJamie Hoyland
ForwardAlan Cork

Comments:
Joe Allon made his final appearance before moving to Brentford in November.

Comments:

I assume the substituted Chelsea forward is the relation to our midfielder?

I've never seen this before . Interesting to see it though. I had seen the MOTD recorded that night when I got home, which was either this or roughly this to my recollection.

eugh.

Looking at the film and seeing Everton in the bottom for about 88 mins, and what happened after. Not a memory I can remove from brain. People who complain about rules and cheating now (the young ones) can see things like this and see that it's always gone on.

-

added bit and only related to this experience...

I picked up a Chelsea fan the other day in the taxi. Sometimes not long journeys and only realise something in common late on, but we got stuck in traffic on the ring road, and the conversation started when we were at BL r'bout. He mentioned getting tickets, so straight away we had something to chat about (ticket prices, beer prices - he said the pub he goes in before the match puts it up from £5.50 a pint to £6.50 pint. he couldn't believe prices in sheffield. . I told him about the last time I went to Stamford Bridge. This day. He wasn't even born! He said he would look it up, but with this film I could have shown him the truth (rather than my version which over the years has morphed into '5 mins from time we were in the champions league, 😂 😂

UTB.
I went 3 times. 1 lose (relegation), I'm pretty sure one win, and the other I can't remember so probably loss. I stood on the old end twice though, and the relegation one on the back row, and got piss wet through with the leaking roof.

All my memories of Chelsea was it was a shithole. The big stand had a good view, but in roofed area, I don't expect to get rust and water mix. (I think that's why why shoved the away supporters up there when redeveloping.

That stand opp the 3 tier, just looked like concrete benches, that I'd never seen anywhere else. On the terraces it was a crumbling wreck.

'92 in the FA cup took my 15 year old sister to the game. Remember being held back for ages after the game so the Chelsea firms could get in position. PA announcer saying pigs had lost 6nil to Arsenal(?), that got a cheer whilst we were waiting. I later read in a BBC book about it all kicking of before and after the game, happy to say I didn't see any of it and sister enjoyed herself.
I went to that match, must have been 10k blades on that away end, I remember is was jam packed and Chelsea kept letting blades fans in, none of this fannying about with loyalty points or pre purchased tickets.

I went to that match, must have been 10k blades on that away end, I remember is was jam packed and Chelsea kept letting blades fans in, none of this fannying about with loyalty points or pre purchased tickets.

Yep it felt busy, I also remember it as poured concrete on spoil fenced in with corrugated iron and barbed wire (although I that might have been imagining that).

'92 in the FA cup took my 15 year old sister to the game. Remember being held back for ages after the game so the Chelsea firms could get in position. PA announcer saying pigs had lost 6nil to Arsenal(?), that got a cheer whilst we were waiting. I later read in a BBC book about it all kicking of before and after the game, happy to say I didn't see any of it and sister enjoyed herself.
I was there, that's the game Vinnie Jones got booked about 4 seconds after the kick off, record that still stands I think. I also remember Blades fans singing " one Jonny Gallon, there's only one Jonny Gallon" etc. Followed by a barely audible, slightly ironic, "thank fuck!". During the "lock in" after the game, remember blades crawling up the shit "electronic" scoreboard and unscrewing the bulbs and throwing them into the away terrace stans, and at the coppers who were just goading and piss taking us locked in "northern scum" as I heard one comment.
Apart from the 1-0 defeat, great day out, just a quick shoot up the A21 for me.

I know the mods like to have all our upcoming opponent threads all 'under one roof', but two or three Chelsea-related threads have already appeared. Anyway...

So, will United lose two league games ‘on the trot’ for the first time since August 7th, 2018? Our last meeting with Chelsea was a 0-3 defeat at Stamford Bridge on 17th March 2007:

The last time Chelsea played at The Lane was on 28th October 2008 – a 0-2 home defeat. Two minutes to half-time with the score at 0-0, Chelsea got a free-kick towards the Bramall Lane end about 35 yards out. No problem until Fat Frank noticed the ref. was distracted and moved the ball forward around ten yards and smashed it in. No VAR back then, but it wouldn’t have made any difference if there was…

11th May 1968 and this 13-year-old Blade was about to have his heart broken for the first (but not the last) time. Last game of the 1967-68 season, Chelsea at home and their near-neighbours (Fulham) were already bottom of the table and down. Wins for the Blades and Coventry would have seen the pigs down, but we all know how these things pan out…

Anyway, we lost 1-2 and the rest was history. 1-0 up at half-time but second-half goals from Tommy Baldwin and Peter Osgood saw me crying on the kop.

Fast-forward to 1st September 1973 and I went down to Stamford Bridge on my own by ‘Sutty’ coach. Walking towards the ground with my red-and-white scarf on(!), a fackin’ huge Chelsea skinhead accosted me. ‘Gaan to di match, mayt?’ I replied that indeed I was. He reached inside his (fackin’ huge) sheepskin coat and…gave me a ticket! A screamer from TC and a goal by Woody meant we won this game 2-1.

That season – in the top-flight – saw us finish safe in 13th place. Leeds won the title, Chelsea finished 6th-bottom and Manchester United were relegated.

7th May 1994, last day of the season, 13 years since my last heartbreak game…you know the rest…

Recent-ish games against Chelsea

View attachment 60424

Full history Sheffield United v Chelsea

League Record v Chelsea (Bramall Lane):

P: 37 W: 19 D: 5 L: 13 F: 62 A: 49

(Away):

P: 37 W: 7 D: 10 L: 20

continued>>>

Haven’t got any good memories from there place at all , I was there on that fateful day in 1994 & the FA Cup defeat where the lot went up in Camden Town .
Couldn’t get tickets for the last visit in 07 but that also proved to be a shit day when Hulse broke his leg , thought this was the turning point in our season .
We’re def due a bit of luck down there ... maybe today’s the day ?

Back
Top Bottom