Memries of Chelsea

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

grafikhaus

Kraft durch Freude
Reaction score
I know the mods like to have all our upcoming opponent threads all 'under one roof', but two or three Chelsea-related threads have already appeared. Anyway...

So, will United lose two league games ‘on the trot’ for the first time since August 7th, 2018? Our last meeting with Chelsea was a 0-3 defeat at Stamford Bridge on 17th March 2007:

The last time Chelsea played at The Lane was on 28th October 2008 – a 0-2 home defeat. Two minutes to half-time with the score at 0-0, Chelsea got a free-kick towards the Bramall Lane end about 35 yards out. No problem until Fat Frank noticed the ref. was distracted and moved the ball forward around ten yards and smashed it in. No VAR back then, but it wouldn’t have made any difference if there was…

11th May 1968 and this 13-year-old Blade was about to have his heart broken for the first (but not the last) time. Last game of the 1967-68 season, Chelsea at home and their near-neighbours (Fulham) were already bottom of the table and down. Wins for the Blades and Coventry would have seen the pigs down, but we all know how these things pan out…

1566909970700.png

Anyway, we lost 1-2 and the rest was history. 1-0 up at half-time but second-half goals from Tommy Baldwin and Peter Osgood saw me crying on the kop.

Fast-forward to 1st September 1973 and I went down to Stamford Bridge on my own by ‘Sutty’ coach. Walking towards the ground with my red-and-white scarf on(!), a fackin’ huge Chelsea skinhead accosted me. ‘Gaan to di match, mayt?’ I replied that indeed I was. He reached inside his (fackin’ huge) sheepskin coat and…gave me a ticket! A screamer from TC and a goal by Woody meant we won this game 2-1.

That season – in the top-flight – saw us finish safe in 13th place. Leeds won the title, Chelsea finished 6th-bottom and Manchester United were relegated.

7th May 1994, last day of the season, 13 years since my last heartbreak game…you know the rest…

Recent-ish games against Chelsea

1566910033046.png

Full history Sheffield United v Chelsea

League Record v Chelsea (Bramall Lane):

P: 37 W: 19 D: 5 L: 13 F: 62 A: 49

(Away):

P: 37 W: 7 D: 10 L: 20

continued>>>

Attachments

• 1566910068738.png
    1566910068738.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 1566910109659.png
    1566910109659.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Premier League Table:

With the Blades in ninth place and Chelsea in 13th, The Blues are obviously underdogs this Saturday… :D

1566910256667.png

Full Premier League table.

Top Scorers:

Tammy Abraham (2) and Mason Mount (2) have scored all Chelsea’s four goals so far.

Men to Watch:

Where to start?

1566910274042.png

(From left) Tammy Abraham, Olivier Geroud and Mason Mount for starters!

The Manager:

Barely into his managerial career, Frank Lampard has already been parachuted into two top jobs.

One of my first ever games was Chelsea at home in the early 90s.won 4-2. That's as much as my memory tells me before I Google it....

8/5/93. 4-2.

Screenshot_20190827_140201_com.android.chrome.jpg

You omit the 3-0 defeat on our last trip to Stamford Bridge. Possibly the worst 25 minutes of the Premier League season: Shevchenko put them 1-0 up after 4, Kalou doubled the lead in the 17th then we lost Hulse - and a great proportion of our hopes of staying up - to a broken leg in the 25th.

That 2-0 defeat at home in 2006 was frustrating. I think they were down to their third-choice keeper (Hilario) as Cudicini and Cech were injured / suspended and I thought we had a shot at beating them. Of course, Hilario saved a penalty at 0-0.

After the game Mourinho talked up the Bramall Lane atmosphere and said how much he loved everyone chanting "fuck off Mourinho". "Places like this are the soul of English football".

'92 in the FA cup took my 15 year old sister to the game. Remember being held back for ages after the game so the Chelsea firms could get in position. PA announcer saying pigs had lost 6nil to Arsenal(?), that got a cheer whilst we were waiting. I later read in a BBC book about it all kicking of before and after the game, happy to say I didn't see any of it and sister enjoyed herself.

'92 in the FA cup took my 15 year old sister to the game. Remember being held back for ages after the game so the Chelsea firms could get in position. PA announcer saying pigs had lost 6nil to Arsenal(?), that got a cheer whilst we were waiting. I later read in a BBC book about it all kicking of before and after the game, happy to say I didn't see any of it and sister enjoyed herself.
I was at that game and yes we were kept back ages I'm sure the PA said, sorry to the Sheffield United fans for keeping you back but here's some news that may cheer you up Arsenal 7 Pigs 1 (Gunners got 6 in last 10 m ins or so), on way home we stopped at same services as S6 team Hirsty was great he took some reight ribbing. I cannot remember any trouble my biggest memory is Concord going over the ground to land magnificent.

I was at that game and yes we were kept back ages I'm sure the PA said, sorry to the Sheffield United fans for keeping you back but here's some news that may cheer you up Arsenal 7 Pigs 1 (Gunners got 6 in last 10 m ins or so), on way home we stopped at same services as S6 team Hirsty was great he took some reight ribbing. I cannot remember any trouble my biggest memory is Concord going over the ground to land magnificent.
I bow to your better memory but happy to remember the difference was 6. There was no issues in the ground as I remember. Amazed how poor the ground was at the time.

You omit the 3-0 defeat on our last trip to Stamford Bridge. Possibly the worst 25 minutes of the Premier League season: Shevchenko put them 1-0 up after 4, Kalou doubled the lead in the 17th then we lost Hulse - and a great proportion of our hopes of staying up - to a broken leg in the 25th.

Our last meeting with Chelsea was a 0-3 defeat at Stamford Bridge on 17th March 2007:

When you take a shot at the King etc. ;)

Hmmm, apparently Chelsea have put on sale extra tickets as United have returned some. I’m a bit surprised at this.

I know the mods like to have all our upcoming opponent threads all 'under one roof', but two or three Chelsea-related threads have already appeared. Anyway...

So, will United lose two league games ‘on the trot’ for the first time since August 7th, 2018? Our last meeting with Chelsea was a 0-3 defeat at Stamford Bridge on 17th March 2007:

The last time Chelsea played at The Lane was on 28th October 2008 – a 0-2 home defeat. Two minutes to half-time with the score at 0-0, Chelsea got a free-kick towards the Bramall Lane end about 35 yards out. No problem until Fat Frank noticed the ref. was distracted and moved the ball forward around ten yards and smashed it in. No VAR back then, but it wouldn’t have made any difference if there was…

11th May 1968 and this 13-year-old Blade was about to have his heart broken for the first (but not the last) time. Last game of the 1967-68 season, Chelsea at home and their near-neighbours (Fulham) were already bottom of the table and down. Wins for the Blades and Coventry would have seen the pigs down, but we all know how these things pan out…

Anyway, we lost 1-2 and the rest was history. 1-0 up at half-time but second-half goals from Tommy Baldwin and Peter Osgood saw me crying on the kop.

Fast-forward to 1st September 1973 and I went down to Stamford Bridge on my own by ‘Sutty’ coach. Walking towards the ground with my red-and-white scarf on(!), a fackin’ huge Chelsea skinhead accosted me. ‘Gaan to di match, mayt?’ I replied that indeed I was. He reached inside his (fackin’ huge) sheepskin coat and…gave me a ticket! A screamer from TC and a goal by Woody meant we won this game 2-1.

That season – in the top-flight – saw us finish safe in 13th place. Leeds won the title, Chelsea finished 6th-bottom and Manchester United were relegated.

7th May 1994, last day of the season, 13 years since my last heartbreak game…you know the rest…

Recent-ish games against Chelsea

View attachment 60424

Full history Sheffield United v Chelsea

League Record v Chelsea (Bramall Lane):

P: 37 W: 19 D: 5 L: 13 F: 62 A: 49

(Away):

P: 37 W: 7 D: 10 L: 20

continued>>>

The way you worded that with the Skinhead,i'm picturing a big Skinhead In a sheepskin from Australia who'd spent time in Jamaica,haha.

Hmmm, apparently Chelsea have put on sale extra tickets as United have returned some. I’m a bit surprised at this.

No reference to Blades returning tickets more to do with shifting Home tickets. Chelsea are offering season ticket holders the chance to get extra tickets probably because us Narthern Monkeys aint an attraction for your average cockernee.

I was at that one ,took the shed on mi sen ,I'm sure our truffle hunting neighbour's lost 7 -0

After the 3-2 Mark Stein relegation ,I had to go to Bristol straight after the game for work. Sat in a traffic jam on the M4 going out of London and the match referee Roger Milford who was a top ref at the time pulled next to me in his car and saw my Blades sticker in the window ,he gave my a sympathetic look and a shrug of the shoulders with a shake of the head. Good guy but what a long journey that night was.

Saw us lose 4-2 at the Bridge early seventies. Lost 1-2 1968 at home relegation. Bradshaw booked after several seconds FA Cup.

Saw us lose 4-2 at the Bridge early seventies.

February 1973. Sub Dave Staniforth took over as the linesman for the last few minutes after the linesman had twisted his knee. The match was supposed to be my first visit to the Bridge but my dad's car had broken down near Leicester. We waited ages for the AA to get the car going again. As there was no chance for us to get to London in time for the kick off so we decided to watch Leicester beat L**ds 2-0 (Birchenall got both goals). Eventually my first visit to the ground was in Sept 1990 where we drew 2-2. My other three visits to the ground were in 1992. Feb (FA Cup). March and Oct.

That 2-0 defeat at home in 2006 was frustrating. I think they were down to their third-choice keeper (Hilario) as Cudicini and Cech were injured / suspended and I thought we had a shot at beating them. Of course, Hilario saved a penalty at 0-0.

After the game Mourinho talked up the Bramall Lane atmosphere and said how much he loved everyone chanting "fuck off Mourinho". "Places like this are the soul of English football".

I was at the Reading v Chelsea game at the Madejski the week before when Cech collided with Hunt, replaced by Cudicini who was then knocked out and John Terry ended up in goal.

Didn't realise at the time how serious the injury to Cech was, so naturally considered it a great outcome for the Blades the following week.....

February 1973. Sub Dave Staniforth took over as the linesman for the last few minutes after the linesman had twisted his knee. The match was supposed to be my first visit to the Bridge but my dad's car had broken down near Leicester. We waited ages for the AA to get the car going again. As there was no chance for us to get to London in time for the kick off so we decided to watch Leicester beat L**ds 2-0 (Birchenall got both goals). Eventually my first visit to the ground was in Sept 1990 where we drew 2-2. My other three visits to the ground were in 1992. Feb (FA Cup). March and Oct.

Not sure how I ended up at that game as my other visits to London were when I was stationed near Ipswich 1971-72 in the RAF. Ended up on the Shed, keeping shtum. I'd moved back to Sheffield 1973

There were 34,000 at the cup tie we lost in 92 but Chelsea only had 7000 three days before when they played Southampton in the league.
We also had a higher average attendance than Chelsea that year.
Set of Johnny-come-latelys.

Yeah i was at that game

Their first goal still frustrates me. Lampard put his free kick straight down the middle of the goal and Paddy Kenny managed to dive out of the way of it.

Was Alan Kelly down pub for last five mins?

One of the goals was an absolutely awful error from Kelly. A routine catch from a long-range shot that he attempted to push over the bar but just softly padded into the net.

my biggest memory is Concord going over the ground to land magnificent.

I remember that too - it was the first time I'd ever seen a Concorde.

One of the goals was an absolutely awful error from Kelly. A routine catch from a long-range shot that he attempted to push over the bar but just softly padded into the net.

I remember that too - it was the first time I'd ever seen a Concorde.
Mine as well mate it was blinking brilliant

Back
Top Bottom