Memorable debuts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That's right, I remember now. He disputed the second booking because he said he didn't make contact, but if he had Reid's leg would probably have been amputated at the knee. ;)

A small bit of trivia is that Mark Ward scored twice in that game. Then, the following midweek, the two teams met in a Full Members' Cup match at BDTBL. The scoreline was the same and again Ward scored twice.

I doubt that's unique. On the other hand, it can't happen too often for two teams to meet in successive fixtures and for both the score and scorer(s) to be identical.
Didn't Mark Ward score 2 for wet spam down at lane or have I got that wrong anall

Special mentions go to Bobby D & Mel Rees.

For all our younger readers; on that day it looked like Borbokis was 3 or 4 levels higher than the rest of our team, in fact anyone on the pitch. It was as if we'd managed to sign a world class player on the sly. People sat open mouthed around me were asking "Who the fucking hell is this?". Looking back on that day, I think that a portal in the space time continuum opened and we witnessed an international quality, attacking RWB from 2021. Trent Alexander Arnold? Don't make me laugh.
Mel Rees was outstanding in all his Blades games, fantastic goalkeeper

Didn't we sell some raffle tickets to help pay for Hodges or am I thinking of someone else
Grand National sweepstake to put towards the 400k we needed to buy him. Would be closer to £40Million these days.

Remember a young David Frain scoring a late winner against Sunderland 87ish. Not 100% it was his debut but possibly.

Jimmy Hagan November 1938 (From The Jimmy Hagan Story)

Jimmy Hagan arrived at Bramall Lane as a slim, dark-hared, good-looking, 20-year-old with a growing reputation as an intelligent and very talented youngster with exceptional ball control, good balance and a strong shot with either foot. Whilst he was tipped to become a great player, he was not yet the finished article, though his transfer caused plenty of favourable comment among the Sheffield United fans.

In the Sheffield United dressing room, where many players had ‘seen it all before’, his arrival did not create any undue excitement, however. Hagan was a quiet young man, and not one to push himself forward. Sheffield United had some good, experienced players, and some promising youngsters of their own. Although they had been in the Second Division since 1934 they had reached the Cup Final in 1936 and had twice narrowly missed out on promotion. At the start of the 1938 season the club had bought Harold Hampson from Southport for £2,200. Now Teddy Davison was banking on Hampson and Hagan to supply the extra quality to get the team back into Division One.

With no television to showcase the talents of rising stars, reputations were made largely by word of mouth or from reports in the national and local newspapers.

The use of substitutes was still many decades in the future so new players could not be eased into a team by giving them a run out for the last few minutes of a match. It was all or nothing in those days and Hagan was thrown in at the deep end for his first match in the red and white stripes of the Blades on 5th November 1938, when he immediately established himself in the side. He was given the number 10 shirt and thus started in the inside left position in an away game against Swansea Town. The team won 2 –1, with the goals coming from the burly centre-forward, Jock Dodds, and left-winger, George Jones.

The following week Hagan played in his first home game against Chesterfield, again at inside-left. The team drew 1 – 1.

It was perhaps felt at this point that Hagan’s relatively slim build was something of a handicap for an inside forward, for he was switched to right wing where he formed a partnership with Hampson at inside-right . Hagan’s first match on the wing, against Tranmere Rovers, saw the team win 2 – 0, with both goals coming from Jock Dodds. Then, on 26th November, Hagan scored his first Sheffield United goal in a 3 – 1 win over West Ham United in front of the home crowd of nearly 20,000. He scored in the next game, too. The quiet young man was letting his feet do the talking and, in a small way, the Legend of Jimmy Hagan had begun!

Back
Top Bottom