Memorable debuts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chris Bettney, think he came on at half time away at Tranmere 1997 ish was by far the best player on pitch never played for us again

I vaguely recall a very young (Silent Blade please confirm if you can) Lee Morris making his debut against Huddersfield in a night match at BL and was outstanding.

Vas Borbokis

Special mentions go to Bobby D & Mel Rees.

For all our younger readers; on that day it looked like Borbokis was 3 or 4 levels higher than the rest of our team, in fact anyone on the pitch. It was as if we'd managed to sign a world class player on the sly. People sat open mouthed around me were asking "Who the fucking hell is this?". Looking back on that day, I think that a portal in the space time continuum opened and we witnessed an international quality, attacking RWB from 2021. Trent Alexander Arnold? Don't make me laugh.

I vaguely recall a very young (Silent Blade please confirm if you can) Lee Morris making his debut against Huddersfield in a night match at BL and was outstanding.
His debut was coming on as sub in the 1-0 home win against Wolves just after we sold Deane and Fjortoft. Huddersfield was his third game (sub too)

For me , TC v Spurs by a country mile followed by Doc Pace , Vas Borbokis and Super Bobby Davidson .

Honourable mention for Alan Birchenall for best second match performance with his two match winning goals against the unmentionables in ‘64 . :)

Honourable mention for Bill Punton v the pigs.

Chris Bettney, think he came on at half time away at Tranmere 1997 ish was by far the best player on pitch never played for us again
Blades were not very good that day in the first half. He changed the second half and was very good. As stated, never played again.

Jon Reed v Bolton Wanderers, first match of the season. Reckon Bobby D scored that day after coming on as a sub having rejoined the Blades pre-season

Jan aage Fjortoft,can't remember who it was against but he was and still is my all time favourite so that wins

Whenever I think of favourite debuts I always think of Glyn Hodges for some reason probably because the Bassett era was Such a great time to be a Blade.Bobby Davidson's remarkable debut was made all the sweeter given that I witnessed it from the back of the Hillsborough kop

That's right, I remember now. He disputed the second booking because he said he didn't make contact, but if he had Reid's leg would probably have been amputated at the knee. ;)

A small bit of trivia is that Mark Ward scored twice in that game. Then, the following midweek, the two teams met in a Full Members' Cup match at BDTBL. The scoreline was the same and again Ward scored twice.

I doubt that's unique. On the other hand, it can't happen too often for two teams to meet in successive fixtures and for both the score and scorer(s) to be identical.

2-0 defeat at Man City
I always thought his debut had been in the 1-0 win against Derby with him scoring the last minute winner. I’ve got no recollection of the Man City match at all (although I was too young to go to away matches back in those days).

Great performance from him for sure that day, made us look a different proposition.

His goal against derby was the key moment despite falling over the hoarding!!
never forget that 89th minute winner by hodges at the shoreham end then going hurtling over the hoardings priceless lol

A small bit of trivia is that Mark Ward scored twice in that game. Then, the following midweek, the two teams met in a Full Members' Cup match at BDTBL. The scoreline was the same and again Ward scored twice.

I doubt that's unique. On the other hand, it can't happen too often for two teams to meet in successive fixtures and for both the score and scorer(s) to be identical.
Scored both goals in Hammers 2-0 win at Bramall Lane in October 1989 too

Whenever I think of favourite debuts I always think of Glyn Hodges for some reason probably because the Bassett era was Such a great time to be a Blade.Bobby Davidson's remarkable debut was made all the sweeter given that I witnessed it from the back of the Hillsborough kop
Didn't we sell some raffle tickets to help pay for Hodges or am I thinking of someone else

Back
Top Bottom