Mcburnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Of the 159 games, 146 of those are league game.
Of those 146 league games, 80 (55%) of them were in the Premier League
Of the 80 PL games, 44 (55%) of them are in absolutely shocking seasons finishing bottom of the league (2020/21 & 2023/24)

So, 30% of his league games have been in 2 of the worst seasons ever.

The biggest disappointment from McBurnie for me is the 21/22 season (Slav & Hecky). 28 games and 0 goals.

A 6 goal return this season isn't bad considering we've only scored 33. He's scored 18% of the goals.
Worth noting that when we finished 9th and everybody liked McBurnie. He still only scored 6 of our 39 goals that season (15%)

He is clearly a player that needs a consistent run in the team. His injury record is preventing him from being the prolific player that he's capable of.

His record in the Championship is 44 goals in 125 apps... a goal every 2.84 games. That equates to 16 goals in a 46 game season. That 2.84 GPG ratio includes the terrible 28 games under Slav/Hecky.

As a soon-to-be Championship team, we'd be silly to let him leave.
The majority of those Championship goals were before he joined us though, and before he was getting injured every month.

I agree I'd keep him around as I said, but it would have to be on terms that suit the club, and not ones that were agreed based on him being a fit, young, goal scoring, £20m striker 5 years ago.

Since he signed for us, this is the first season he hasn't played 30 games.

2019/20 = 42apps
2020/21 = 32
2021/22 = 30
2022/23 = 41
2023/24 = 23

And with deteriorating fitness 20-25 games a season is probably not too wide of the mark....

Since he signed for us, this is the first season he hasn't played 30 games.

2019/20 = 42apps
2020/21 = 32
2021/22 = 30
2022/23 = 41
2023/24 = 23
Shocked at those stats, how many league game has he started each season?

He'll easily be a 1 in 2 championship striker now, and an excellent all rounder too. It's so frustrating because if he stayed here and stayed fit he'd be the foundation of a promotion level attack. Lose him, and we could end up with anything

What's the bigger gamble? One on his fitness or one on replacing him adequately?
I guess it would be helpful to know what our budget is, minus any deluded hopes of big fees for our dross

Ive been waiting years for McBurnie to go. But then the chance comes along and somehow it kind of makes sense for him to stay, he has improved with experience and we potentially have 0 senior strikers to start next season, with a need to rebuild the team from goalkeeper and defence. But I still just feel if we are really prepared to bite the bullet on the rebuild, promotion or not, then two more seasons paying salaries to Brewster and McBurnie ( and this is purely about salary vs availability, before questioning their actual quality) is just to going to restrict us.

Ive been waiting years for McBurnie to go. But then the chance comes along and somehow it kind of makes sense for him to stay, he has improved with experience and we potentially have 0 senior strikers to start next season, with a need to rebuild the team from goalkeeper and defence. But I still just feel if we are really prepared to bite the bullet on the rebuild, promotion or not, then two more seasons paying salaries to Brewster and McBurnie ( and this is purely about salary vs availability, before questioning their actual quality) is just to going to restrict us.
Surely we can negotiate a lower figure to pay Brewster off immediately and get the fecker out of the club so he isn't a constant reminder of the colossal failure he's been , I'm sick knowing how much we're paying him to have a 5 year holiday here.

Everyone has been saying for a year plus that he will go to Rangers, hardly itk if it happens as he has stated he wants to play for them and it’s been rumoured for a long time they are interested if it’s a free.

I too was shocked at how many games McBurnie has started but how many of those were him coming back from injury, ont fully fit and how many was he able to complete and be able to start the next game. If he could play two 15 match spells a season I would be happy. But his appearances aren’t like that - it is stop start. We can’t build a team round that.If he was prepared to sign on an average Championship CW age then he is probably worth the risk but unfortunately anything above that ties up too much money.

30 games at 2.84 is still a 10-goal striker.

If we have to bring in another striker to replace him. Will they get 10 goals+ ? How much will they cost to sign in Fees & Signing-on etc?

All ifs and buts I know.

I would keep him and Brewster and try to find a 1st choice, somehow
The problem with both McBurnie and Brewster is that their availability is so unreliable that you can't build a team with them in it and that means chopping and changing constantly. It plays havoc with the tactical setup.

I was 50/50 on McBurnie, but sadly we need to let him go now. We simply do not have the budget to take any risks next season.

We don't have the budget NOT to take risks next season. Sure fire things at the level we are competing at are incredibly inefficient and expensive

Back
Top Bottom