Mcburnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1. Has there, or has there not, been a club driven media charm offensive to attempt to offload a player for the last 2 or 3 windows given the reluctance of said player to commit to the club (see IN and SB) ?

2. Has there been even a sniff of interest in said player.

Maybe 😉

Posted lots of photos of him in United shirts yesterday on his Instagram

Gives him time to catch up wiv de mandem and bredrin or whatever it fucking is.

Such a shame. His body seems unable to cope with the demands. He's improved immensely physically, and so has his game in every department. But I wonder if it's made him even more prone to injuries too. He's a PL level striker with his new physicality, so if this injury is a sign of things to come he stands to lose a lot. His next move now won't be what he hoped. He may now be willing to stay here but surely we'll choose to cut ties now

He might think that the only option he has now is to reluctantly sign a contract he had no intention to. Because if he’s injured, injured, he’ll not pass a medical elsewhere.

Such a shame. His body seems unable to cope with the demands. He's improved immensely physically, and so has his game in every department. But I wonder if it's made him even more prone to injuries too. He's a PL level striker with his new physicality, so if this injury is a sign of things to come he stands to lose a lot. His next move now won't be what he hoped. He may now be willing to stay here but surely we'll choose to cut ties now
My thoughts on Mcbernie too,Worked really hard on his physicallity! Just doesn't seem to have the natural fitness ( athletism) needed at the top level ,he's a good touch for a big man
and possibly will interest a lower prem team if they were willing to gamble on his fitness.
I think we will keep him as his fitness problems will stop even championship clubs gambling on him.At his age this is his last big contract as he will be well over 30 if he's been offered a 3 year deal.All this geared around what the problem is this Time
He and Wilder seem to be on the same page regarding him as a player.
I maybe totally wrong on this as he may just walk away! We will find out soon looks like his season cut short again.

My thoughts on Mcbernie too,Worked really hard on his physicallity! Just doesn't seem to have the natural fitness ( athletism) needed at the top level ,he's a good touch for a big man
and possibly will interest a lower prem team if they were willing to gamble on his fitness.
I think we will keep him as his fitness problems will stop even championship clubs gambling on him.At his age this is his last big contract as he will be well over 30 if he's been offered a 3 year deal.All this geared around what the problem is this Time
He and Wilder seem to be on the same page regarding him as a player.
I maybe totally wrong on this as he may just walk away! We will find out soon looks like his season cut short again.
He could be worth picking up for someone like Everton who can afford the gamble. Low basic wage, decent appearance fee. Would be a good squad option for anyone like them

Provided the contract is right for the club then we would be daft not to take him on. Yes, he has injury issues and that is a problem, but then again when he is fit he is a very useful player to have around. Any contract offered to him should reflect the unavailability issues he has either by way of lesser core wage and bigger appearance money (that can bring it's own problems though as players can put themselves forward for playing even if not 100% fit), or a lower wage to compensate for him regularly only being available for about 50% of the games. Id definitely try to get him signed up again, but it simply has to be on the clubs terms. Otherwise, no deal and let him go. No more easy money for players please United.

I wouldn't be against giving him a new contract on reduced wages, to at least ensure we have an experienced striker on the books and have the option of getting a return on him at some point. That's probably what the club have offered him, but there's very little chance he'll go for that.

For £20m though, his injury and disciplinary record have been shocking, and he only has 29 goals and 7 assists in 159 appearances. He's been a very poor signing and one that I wouldn't miss, personally.

he’s obviously injury prone so I would reduce the offer accordingly and work from there.

Depends on style of play we want to play. We have seen BBD with some pace and power really have an impact. Maybe we go down the same route.

Guess this screws any chance he had of going to the Euros. Wonder if it also scuppers getting a move elsewhere

I like McBurnie when he's fit and on form and if he has a decent season in terms of being fit he'll get you good numbers in the Champ.

However, there's too many ifs....

If he can stay fit, if he's willing to accept our wages, if he wants to stay anyway.....

Part of me really wants him to stay but it may be for the best if we part ways.

He appears to be as robust as a Quaver ffs.
When he's fit he's a great addition to the engine room, but it's like having a Rangerover, every week something breaks!

For £20m though, his injury and disciplinary record have been shocking, and he only has 29 goals and 7 assists in 159 appearances. He's been a very poor signing and one that I wouldn't miss, personally.

Of the 159 games, 146 of those are league game.
Of those 146 league games, 80 (55%) of them were in the Premier League
Of the 80 PL games, 44 (55%) of them are in absolutely shocking seasons finishing bottom of the league (2020/21 & 2023/24)

So, 30% of his league games have been in 2 of the worst seasons ever.

The biggest disappointment from McBurnie for me is the 21/22 season (Slav & Hecky). 28 games and 0 goals.

A 6 goal return this season isn't bad considering we've only scored 33. He's scored 18% of the goals.
Worth noting that when we finished 9th and everybody liked McBurnie. He still only scored 6 of our 39 goals that season (15%)

He is clearly a player that needs a consistent run in the team. His injury record is preventing him from being the prolific player that he's capable of.

His record in the Championship is 44 goals in 125 apps... a goal every 2.84 games. That equates to 16 goals in a 46 game season. That 2.84 GPG ratio includes the terrible 28 games under Slav/Hecky.

As a soon-to-be Championship team, we'd be silly to let him leave.

Of the 159 games, 146 of those are league game.
Of those 146 league games, 80 (55%) of them were in the Premier League
Of the 80 PL games, 44 (55%) of them are in absolutely shocking seasons finishing bottom of the league (2020/21 & 2023/24)

So, 30% of his league games have been in 2 of the worst seasons ever.

The biggest disappointment from McBurnie for me is the 21/22 season (Slav & Hecky). 28 games and 0 goals.

A 6 goal return this season isn't bad considering we've only scored 33. He's scored 18% of the goals.
Worth noting that when we finished 9th, everybody liked McBurnie. He only scored 6 of our 39 goals that season too (15%)

He is clearly a player that needs a consistent run in the team. His injury record is preventing him from being the prolific player that he's capable of.

His record in the Championship is 44 goals in 125 apps... a goal every 2.84 games. That equates to 16 goals in a 46 game season. That 2.84 GPG ratio includes the terrible 28 games under Slav/Hecky.

As a soon-to-be Championship team, we'd be silly to let him leave.
This is all true, but the problem is that he is not going to play 46 games and score 16 goals. He's going to play about 30 games. It's not enough.

This is all true, but the problem is that he is not going to play 46 games and score 16 goals. He's going to play about 30 games. It's not enough.
30 games at 2.84 is still a 10-goal striker.

If we have to bring in another striker to replace him. Will they get 10 goals+ ? How much will they cost to sign in Fees & Signing-on etc?

All ifs and buts I know.

I would keep him and Brewster and try to find a 1st choice, somehow

I like Oli Mac but he's never going to play more than 20-25 games a season. Not sure if we would be obligated to him after June considering he is injured, (can't see it unless there is a clause in players contracts?) but gut feeling says move on, there's got to be better options.

Back
Top Bottom